It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 04:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Vitamin D deficiency, the miracle vitamin

I am writing in this in hope to help others who are suffering with symptoms of bone loss(osteoporosis), osteoarthritis, numbness in hands, fingers, arms, loss of smell, memory problems, muscle loss and muscle weakness, extreme bone pain, especially lower back pain in the middle of the night. This list can go on and on.
I was misdiagnosed for so long and not one dr thought of testing to see if I have a vit.D deficiency.
my family dr. referred me to a rheumatolgoist because my bone pain was now going into the 3rd finger joints on both hands, the long bones in my legs and even the back of my skull.
the rheumy dr. found out I have fibromyalgia by physically palpating the hot spots as they call it. I almost hit the ceiling! I tried a non steroidal anti imflammatory, he told me to come back in a few weeks, I did, he asked me how I was feeling, I said "worst". I felt flu like, feverish and all I wanted to do is sleep, sleep , sleep when I got the chance. I couldn't make full course meals anymore, I would climb into my bed after 5 pm when I got home from work, barely bothering to cook anything. alot of take out food. Yuck and not to mention unhealthy and fattening.
these symptoms interfered with my new job of four months, I lost it. they let me go because of being absent so much. I looked pale as a ghost, and even my coworkers and director was very worried for my health. but the administrative dept. said they needed someone there all the time.
the time was almost ready for me to leave my apptn with him when he decided to ask me if anyone tested my vit.D level? my response was "no".
I was sent immediately over to the lab and went back for a follow up a week later and low and behold, he found my cure.
I am now taking supplemental vit.D, plus a calcium product with D in it, and the pain medication.
It is only into a week of therapy and I am already feeling 60% better. I never in my life imagined how important vit. D is.
they actually call it "the miracle vitamin" because without it and if at dangerously low levels, it can cause death.
believe me, I felt like I was on the road to death.
so for people out there who are suffering with ill health and your drs can't find out why, ask them to see if you have a vitamin deficiency.
oh, and by the way........ I never believed in vitamins.
I do now.

The Following User Says Thank You to NY 1009 For This Useful Post:
pitythedog (06-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2007, 06:08 AM   #2
(male)

Aarondawg HB User
Re: Vitamin D deficiency, the miracle vitamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintek45 View Post
I am writing in this in hope to help others who are suffering with symptoms of bone loss(osteoporosis), osteoarthritis, numbness in hands, fingers, arms, loss of smell, memory problems, muscle loss and muscle weakness, extreme bone pain, especially lower back pain in the middle of the night. This list can go on and on.
I was misdiagnosed for so long and not one dr thought of testing to see if I have a vit.D deficiency.
my family dr. referred me to a rheumatolgoist because my bone pain was now going into the 3rd finger joints on both hands, the long bones in my legs and even the back of my skull.
the rheumy dr. found out I have fibromyalgia by physically palpating the hot spots as they call it. I almost hit the ceiling! I tried a non steroidal anti imflammatory, he told me to come back in a few weeks, I did, he asked me how I was feeling, I said "worst". I felt flu like, feverish and all I wanted to do is sleep, sleep , sleep when I got the chance. I couldn't make full course meals anymore, I would climb into my bed after 5 pm when I got home from work, barely bothering to cook anything. alot of take out food. Yuck and not to mention unhealthy and fattening.
these symptoms interfered with my new job of four months, I lost it. they let me go because of being absent so much. I looked pale as a ghost, and even my coworkers and director was very worried for my health. but the administrative dept. said they needed someone there all the time.
the time was almost ready for me to leave my apptn with him when he decided to ask me if anyone tested my vit.D level? my response was "no".
I was sent immediately over to the lab and went back for a follow up a week later and low and behold, he found my cure.
I am now taking supplemental vit.D, plus a calcium product with D in it, and the pain medication.
It is only into a week of therapy and I am already feeling 60% better. I never in my life imagined how important vit. D is.
they actually call it "the miracle vitamin" because without it and if at dangerously low levels, it can cause death.
believe me, I felt like I was on the road to death.
so for people out there who are suffering with ill health and your drs can't find out why, ask them to see if you have a vitamin deficiency.
oh, and by the way........ I never believed in vitamins.
I do now.

Hey there,

I have been suffering from fatigue, depression-like feelings, nervousness, stomach issues, burning gums, tingles in legs, arms and just basically crappy-like for a long time now. After going to my Pysycian Assist. for over a year, I went to a Medical Internest 3 weeks ago and he said that I had a severe Vitamin D deficiency and wrote a presciption of 50,000 IU weekly for me. Does it takes a while to replenish a Vitamin D deficiency and to start to feel overall better?

Thanks
Aarondawg

Old 11-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Aaron,
I'm glad to hear that your deficiency was ALSO found on time. If not, did you know that it can cause death if left untreated?
I felt like I was dying slowly. I will never forget how horrible I felt.
to answer your question on the amount of approximated time to start feeling better. My doctor told me a month to really start feeling better and a total of 3 months is the perspective time they say is the best improvement.
but in my case, I am finding I am ALREADY feeling 80% better. each day I get better and better.
my sense of smell is starting to come back, I don't feel the pain I used to in my joints, muscles and especially my spine. Specifically the lower spine which used to wake me up in agony in the middle of the night. no more tingling extremities either.
it's AMAZING!!! how quickly my therapy is working. I didnt' expect it to work this quickly to be honest.
I also am on a new anti inflammatory, PLUS I also went up 10 mg on my methadone medication a few days ago, plus I just started vit. D supplement and am taking caltrate D ontop of that.
so I don't really know if it's all the combined new things i'm doing to make me better so quickly?

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Linda

Old 11-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
(male)

Aarondawg HB User

Hey there, thank you for your quick response. Glad that you are feeling better so quickly. I would also think that your other meds. are assisting you too in your quick recovery. I am starting to feel positive changes but I guess after so many years of not drinking milk nor lying in the sun, it takes time to rebuild my body back up and reverse any damage that has been done by the lack of this vitamin.

Regards,
Aarondawg

Old 11-06-2007, 04:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aaron,
there may be other reasons causing your deficiency. not necessarly the lack of laying in the sun. what area of the world are you in?
I too have stopped drinking milk for quite some time.
as adults, we dont' need it. alot of people can't digest it anyway, which means it's not really great for our systems.
I was going in the sun daily during the summer months and Spring months too. every day about 5x's a day. I have to admit I have a filthy habit, I "smoke cigarettes" but have a stop date coming up soon.
so I was getting adequate exposure to the sun.
autoimmune problems can cause it, kidney problems, parathyroid, and some other things.
my dr said that we couldn't possibly get the desired amounts of vit. D from the foods we eat.
If we were bears, and ate just the skins on salmon, then maybe we would. plus organ meats, the liver, and canned fishes like sardines, etc.
eggs, poultry.
people with dark pigmentation in their skins often have this problem I read.
I'm white, but not pastey white.
I"m not a vegetarian by any means and eat like a truck driver I"m told.
I just don't put on the weight luckily.
so there are few things that can contribute to the deficiency.
oh, malabsorption can cause a defic. too.
I had that diagnosis. I don't know if I still do. I was diagnosed with it when i was going thru a very unwell time in my life and my gastro dr. ran some tests. he did a fat test, which is done by testing the stool.
I wasn't digesting fats. I lost so much muscle mass and I went down to 100 pounds which is very bad for a woman of my height. my family was very worried about me and clients that passed thru my store I worked in, would say things to me. things like" how do you stay so thin"? when i told them I was sick, they'd say they it's a sick thing to say, but they wished they were sick.
now tell me what society is doing to our womans' view of their bodies?
this is another subject though that I won't go into.
I'm interested in learning more about this vit. D thing though.
have to run,
later,
Linda

Old 11-06-2007, 07:59 AM   #6
(male)

Aarondawg HB User

Quote:
Aaron,
there may be other reasons causing your deficiency. not necessarly the lack of laying in the sun. what area of the world are you in?
I too have stopped drinking milk for quite some time.
as adults, we dont' need it. alot of people can't digest it anyway, which means it's not really great for our systems.
I was going in the sun daily during the summer months and Spring months too. every day about 5x's a day. I have to admit I have a filthy habit, I "smoke cigarettes" but have a stop date coming up soon.
so I was getting adequate exposure to the sun.
autoimmune problems can cause it, kidney problems, parathyroid, and some other things.
my dr said that we couldn't possibly get the desired amounts of vit. D from the foods we eat.
If we were bears, and ate just the skins on salmon, then maybe we would. plus organ meats, the liver, and canned fishes like sardines, etc.
eggs, poultry.
people with dark pigmentation in their skins often have this problem I read.
I'm white, but not pastey white.
I"m not a vegetarian by any means and eat like a truck driver I"m told.
I just don't put on the weight luckily.
so there are few things that can contribute to the deficiency.
oh, malabsorption can cause a defic. too.
I had that diagnosis. I don't know if I still do. I was diagnosed with it when i was going thru a very unwell time in my life and my gastro dr. ran some tests. he did a fat test, which is done by testing the stool.
I wasn't digesting fats. I lost so much muscle mass and I went down to 100 pounds which is very bad for a woman of my height. my family was very worried about me and clients that passed thru my store I worked in, would say things to me. things like" how do you stay so thin"? when i told them I was sick, they'd say they it's a sick thing to say, but they wished they were sick.
now tell me what society is doing to our womans' view of their bodies?
this is another subject though that I won't go into.
I'm interested in learning more about this vit. D thing though.
have to run,
later,
Linda
Thank you Linda for your response. I live in Charlotte, NC and I am African American. So, I know that my race is prone to Vitamin D deficiency. I got a sunburn 20 years ago and have been gun-shy of sun ever since.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Aaron,
I've always wanted to visit the south. My boyfriends parents are from the South .His mom grew up on a tabbacco plantation. I love movies that take place in the South too. the mossy trees, the warm climate, the slower pace of society.
here in NY, it's soooo frantic and busy. Everyone is in a rush against time, rushing to work and then rushing to get back home. I do NOT want to be part of this rat race anymore. Time is precious to me and I want to slow down and enjoy what time God has planned for me.
I remember a time back in 1979, my very first job working as a file clerk for a very large insurance co.
I became very good friends with a girl named " Jenny" who was one of my bridesmaids in my wedding. she too is african american and she taught me that people with dark pigmentation can very well get burnt too. I thought she was joking when she told me she got a tan when she went away on vacation to some beach.
she showed me her tan line. we burst out laughing together and I learned something that day. No matter how dark you are, you can still get a tan.
worst yet, is getting your skin burnt. It hurts like heck, not to mention the damage done to our skin cells.
I JUST learned the other day Aaron that African americans are more prone to vit.D deficiency so it's good that you're aware of this.
My boyfriend has a wonderful book that consists of herbal/nutritional medications , a practical guide to optional health using herbs, cell salts and glandulars. We just finished moving and he brought out this book to me that I never knew he had.
are you doing more research now that you've been diagnosed with this?
I find myself wanting to learn as much as I can.
something so simple, so easily overlooked STILL has me surprised my general dr couldn't diagnose my problems and had to refer me to a rheumy dr to find this out.
I'm a little leary now of my family dr.
he seems to not put enough time into finding out what's wrong with me the past few years and how I was complaining to him the last time i met with him that my health was detoriating at a faster pace than before i last saw him.
it makes me scratch my head. LOL

I hope you begin to start feeling better Aaron. Are you feeling any benefits of the supplements you're taking?
I'm curious to know if you're seeing any changes yet? How long did you say you're taking them now?
thank you so much for your replies and for helping me Aaron. I really appreciate your time.

sincerely,
linda

Old 11-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
(male)

Aarondawg HB User

Quote:
Hi Aaron,
I've always wanted to visit the south. My boyfriends parents are from the South .His mom grew up on a tabbacco plantation. I love movies that take place in the South too. the mossy trees, the warm climate, the slower pace of society.
here in NY, it's soooo frantic and busy. Everyone is in a rush against time, rushing to work and then rushing to get back home. I do NOT want to be part of this rat race anymore. Time is precious to me and I want to slow down and enjoy what time God has planned for me.
I remember a time back in 1979, my very first job working as a file clerk for a very large insurance co.
I became very good friends with a girl named " Jenny" who was one of my bridesmaids in my wedding. she too is african american and she taught me that people with dark pigmentation can very well get burnt too. I thought she was joking when she told me she got a tan when she went away on vacation to some beach.
she showed me her tan line. we burst out laughing together and I learned something that day. No matter how dark you are, you can still get a tan.
worst yet, is getting your skin burnt. It hurts like heck, not to mention the damage done to our skin cells.
I JUST learned the other day Aaron that African americans are more prone to vit.D deficiency so it's good that you're aware of this.
My boyfriend has a wonderful book that consists of herbal/nutritional medications , a practical guide to optional health using herbs, cell salts and glandulars. We just finished moving and he brought out this book to me that I never knew he had.
are you doing more research now that you've been diagnosed with this?
I find myself wanting to learn as much as I can.
something so simple, so easily overlooked STILL has me surprised my general dr couldn't diagnose my problems and had to refer me to a rheumy dr to find this out.
I'm a little leary now of my family dr.
he seems to not put enough time into finding out what's wrong with me the past few years and how I was complaining to him the last time i met with him that my health was detoriating at a faster pace than before i last saw him.
it makes me scratch my head. LOL

I hope you begin to start feeling better Aaron. Are you feeling any benefits of the supplements you're taking?
I'm curious to know if you're seeing any changes yet? How long did you say you're taking them now?
thank you so much for your replies and for helping me Aaron. I really appreciate your time.

sincerely,
linda
Hey there Linda,

I used to live in Syracuse, NY, but I grew up in MS where I spent most of my time in the sun. Sryacuse was a nice city but was too cold and cloudy.

I took my 3rd 50000IU pill on last Friday and will take a 4th one this Friday. I have my follow-up appointment on Monday.

It's weird because it seems like I am able to feel more of my muscles contract. I guess they are finally getting what the need after this long time.

Question: When you were experiencing your deficiency symptoms, did your gums feel like the were burning or tingling?

Last edited by Aarondawg; 11-06-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

oooh, Syracuse is very cold in the Winter months. I used to go to the catskills every weekend with my parents for many years at the 2nd home they bought for get aways and I tell you, just the two hour distance to the north made a huge difference in the climate. I remember so much snow! and they don't close down their schools for snow days like they do here. Instead, they put huge chains on their tires and drive thru the snow without a blink of the eye.
they really impressed me.
you're dr is prescribing much more vit. D than I was told to take.
by the way, what was your level?
mine was 20. they say to be real low is a reading of 19.
I'm not sure what you mean is happening to your muscles? are you feeling them spasm? if so, that's a negative symptom of being D deficient.
I can recall the many twitches in my muscles. I thought it was due to nerves.

how long were you told to take them?
I have to go for a follow up in one month and I dont have insurance anymore. so I'm hoping I find a job before then.
this time, I hope I'm able to withstand the 40 hours a week in order to work.
otherwise, I'll have to work only part time and that won't be sufficient in order to qualify for medical insurance benefits.
how old are you Aaron if I'm not being rude by asking you this?
I'm 47.
thanks for your quick replies.
I apologize for my lengthy letters. hope they're not driving anyone crazy on the boards.

L

Old 11-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #10
(male)

Aarondawg HB User

Yes, sort of like spasms and they have been in my neck and arms and legs and I guess in my stomach. I don't know what my score was in that the nurse provided me the deficiency news over the phone and I thought that she was going to simply have me stop by a health food store for a supplement; however, she said that I needed a prescription.

I used to think that my symptoms were nerves too. I would have these spasms in my shoulders and just attributed it to tension and stress. Also, I was get these flutter-like feelings. However, I have this little stress button that I picked up at a health fair and it was green meaning no stress was detected. Also, my blood pressure was normal.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #11
(male)

Aarondawg HB User

Hey there, this is what I have just found while during Vitamin D research:

Vitamin D: Found in fish and dairy products fortified with vitamin D. Also: Eggs, butter, milk, oatmeal, salmon, sardines, sweet potatoes, and tuna. And, vitamin D can be converted from the action of sunlight on the skin!
BODY PARTS AFFECTED:
Bones, heart, kidneys, nervous system, skin, teeth and thyroid gland.
DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:
Brittle and fragile bones, burning in mouth and throat, diarrhea, insomnia, irregular heartbeat, low blood calcium, myopia, nervousness, pale skin, poor metabolism, rickets, sensitivity to pain, soft bones and teeth, Osteoporosis and Osteopenia, and hypocalcemia. Vitamin D also enhances the immune system.

I have definitely been experiencing the burning mouth and throat. But throat is much better.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I guess some can experience all of the mentioned symptoms, or just some.
In my case, I never had that burning sensation in my mouth or throat.
Thank Goodness for one less thing that bothers me.

I eat all those things that are mentioned in the food list. Instead of milk, I eat ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese and cheeses. so it can't be from lack of milk products. I do have milk in my dry cereals too.
I eat very well so don't understand how my levels got that low.

Aaron, do you remember what your D level was when the dr told you you're deficient?

I guess the therapy and dosages of supplement D would vary according to the level of Vit. D that the person's lab report read.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:01 AM   #13
(male)

Aarondawg HB User

Quote:
I guess some can experience all of the mentioned symptoms, or just some.
In my case, I never had that burning sensation in my mouth or throat.
Thank Goodness for one less thing that bothers me.

I eat all those things that are mentioned in the food list. Instead of milk, I eat ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese and cheeses. so it can't be from lack of milk products. I do have milk in my dry cereals too.
I eat very well so don't understand how my levels got that low.

Aaron, do you remember what your D level was when the dr told you you're deficient?

I guess the therapy and dosages of supplement D would vary according to the level of Vit. D that the person's lab report read.
Hey there, I was not given the actual number.

For some reason or another, I feel restless and nervy today. The vitamin does effect the nervous systems so I am thinking that it too is under repair now.

Regards,
Aarondawg

Old 11-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sorry for repeating my question to you Aaron. somehow I missed the first post you replied to me and I read your last reply. I missed the one that told me that you got your news from the nurse over the phone.
you can call them and ask them what your level was, only if you want to that is.. and you can ask for a copy of your lab test. I ask for ALL of my reports and keep them in a book, divided up.
I have them divided into, LAB WORK, GENERAL MEDICAL, GYNO and ENT folders. this way I don't have to search for a needle in a haystack when I have to bring a copy to a new dr I might be referred to.
it really works out great, because usually the new dr will always ask about your former medical problems and what the diagnosis was.

I've been to ALOT of doctors within the past 7 years.

I didn't know they prescribed vit. D.
You must really have a very low level Aaron for them to Rx it.

I'm not feeling so well today either. The joints in my elbows and fingers are hurting again today. My mind is foggy too.
did you say that vit. D can cause a person to become hyper ?
I've been extremely hyper the past few days and feel my chest is tight and hurting. I get like that when I'm nervous.
I'm interested in hearing more about this if this is true.

Linda

Old 11-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #15
(male)

Aarondawg HB User

No problem. I am here at my office and it has been good escaping by communicating with you.

Yep, I am taking a prescription of 50000IU once a week.

My understanding is that Vitamin D affects the nervous system and brian cells. I guess that why we feel brain fog at times.

Had you also been suffering from insomnia before your Vitamin D was tested?

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Closed Thread