It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

dawn134 HB User
Question eating breakfast

Hello,

Is there anybody that can shed light on this question - when i get up in the morning i'm not hungry for breakfast but i normally eat a balance protein bar anyway. Then i start to feel real hungry around 1130am or so. However, if I don't eat the protein bar because technically i'm not hungry then i can still make it to 11:30am and then i'll be hungry. So I don't understand why eating the protein bar is the right thing to do even when i'm not hungry and i end up being hungry at the same time anyway if i ate it or not. Seems like wasted calories to me????

Thanks, Dawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: eating breakfast

dawn134,

Just as some people have biorythms that shift their waking hours to later or earlier in the day (night owls vs larks), some people have biorythms that shift their preferred eating times. I (a lark) can't go out the door without a full breakfast. But my husband (a night owl) can't face breakfast before he leaves for work. I pack him a lunch to take with him (sandwich, salad, sliced carrots, apple), and he starts grazinging on it about 2 hours after he arrives at work. Sometimes he's just getting around to eating the apple by mid-afternoon. Then we eat dinner about 7 or 8, and he's already looking forward to his little plate of cheese (very European!) that he'll enjoy about 10 or 11 pm after I've crashed into bed.

The total number of calories that you eat during the course of the day is what counts. The calories from the protein bar count towards your total for the day. If you'd rather not have it for breakfast, then either have it for a snack later in the day, or leave it out of your diet entirely and get your calories from other foods.

As long as you're getting sufficient calories and sufficient nutrition (protein, fruit, veggies, etc), and paying attention to eating often enough to keep your blood sugar stable, I don't think it matters what time you eat. It sounds like you are listening to your body -- this is a good thing!

--Rheanna

Last edited by rheanna; 11-18-2007 at 11:00 PM. Reason: clarification

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread