It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

daisyduck08 HB User
weight gain + anemia.. what to do?

i've been discovered to have anemia. i take one pill a day to help. i'm not sure if this is enough. i'm suppsoed to go back to the doctor one of these days. i just need to hear opinions. do you guys think it's my anemia that's causing my lack of weight gain. or maybe just have a fast metabolism?

i've been having crazy headaches, i've been feeling dizzy, i eat as much as i can, and never gain. i've even started eating breakfast.. and i just don't gain. i weigh about 96 lbs, i'm about 5'3, and i'm 17. i've even tried pills, drinks and weight gain powders, nothing helps. i'm also having several muscle twitches from time to time. is this some nutritional disorder, or is it possibly my anemia growing larger? idk. help?

Old 12-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
Re: weight gain + anemia.. what to do?

I'm assuming you have iron-deficient anemia, as opposed to other kinds. It sounds like you have more than lack of iron going on. Are you taking folate as well as the iron pill? What kind of iron are you on (it'll say on the bottle)? What amount are you taking (how many mg does the bottle say the pill is)?

I really suggest you get a full metabolic panel done to test your vit/mineral levels. I suspect you're probably also deficient in Bvits, particularly B12.

Do you have any digestive problems? Gas, bloating, stomach cramping?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
(female)

daisyduck08 HB User

i take ferrous sulfate 65mg. then it has the number 325mg right before that. the doctor told me to only take one pill. and it's not seeming to help, hence why i'm possibly going back in.

for the b12, don't you have to take injections for that? i heard of that from one of my friends who says she constantly has to take injections. :|

Old 12-02-2007, 04:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

You can take B12 injections if you're really deficient. If your levels are just low or for general health, there are sublingual B12 lozenges. You can probably get these at the closest pharmacy, although to find higher dosage lozenges you'll probably have to check a health food store or vitamin center. Just let it dissolve under your tongue.

If you're anemic, then 65mg of iron a day isn't going help a whole lot. Talk to your doc and make sure you ask about the dosing instructions before leaving (especially about the 325mg). If the doc wants you to continue on 65mg a day, it might be time to see another doc about your anemia.

You might also want to talk to the doc about a more easily absorbable form of iron. Ferrous sulfate isn't exactly the easiest to absorb and a lot of folks have stomach problems with it. Ferrous glycinate or ferrous fumarate seem to cause the fewest problems and are more easily absorbably than a lot of other forms.

Like I said before, also make sure to take a folate supplement along with your iron. It helps your body absorb the iron better. It also helps to eat an orange or take the iron with orange juice. Vitamin C helps your body to absorb the iron too. If your stomach can handle it, take the iron at least an hour before meals or 2 hours after meals.

Feel free to come over to the anemia board on this forum. There are a lot of really great folks who have helped me out a lot. They're very supportive and love to share info.

Closed Thread