It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User
Question for those with Vitamin D deficiencies

Hi

Did anyone have symptoms with their Vitamin D deficiencies? Also, do you know what your level was?

Thank you!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
(female)

laura3377 HB User
Re: Question for those with Vitamin D deficiencies

I have a Vitamin D deficiency and yes, I do have symptoms from it. I have muscle/bone pain and fatigue. I was told by 2 Dr's they thought I had Fibro but my symptoms have actually improved somewhat by taking Vit D and getting an iron-deficiency corrected. I still am not 100% but definitely better. My initial level of Vit D was 13ng and then I got it up to 23 during the summer and now it is back down to 19 so I have to be more consistent with taking the Vit D. I am currently taking 3000-4000 IU per day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

Was the muscle pain like cramping? I have very painful leg pain, deep cramps in my legs.

I also have been diagnosed with fibro, and low vit. D.

How soon until the supplements worked?

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
(female)

laura3377 HB User

The leg pain is cramping as well as just a constant ache. I read on one website that Vit D deficiency can cause leg pain especially calf pain. I never knew that before. I have not yet gotten to the normal range which is 32ng-100ng. However, I noticed improvement even with the small climb of my levels. It will be interesting to see how I feel when I finally get in the normal range. Do you know your level of Vit D?

Old 12-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

Thank you for describing the pain, that is what I have- cramping and an all over ache in my calves. I even remember describing it as like growing pains, I suppose that could be the bone pain. Several types of pain associated with this, I think. Very, very, very painful.

My level was off the chart low- the test didnt measure any lower.

I have been on supplements for not quite a month and I am sensing moments of no pain, and in general less pain. But the pain is still there. I guess I just have to be patient. I have a long way to go to 32. And I have read that we shouldn't just be happy to get to 32. Might need to get in the middle of the range perhaps.

Thanks. I haven't met anyone else that could discuss this!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
(female)

Canna HB User

I too was told in November past that I have Vitamin D deficiency but also Osteoporosis all at the same time so my pains and aches I was blaming on OP However I have felt insommia for months nervousness and tiredness. Also have been told by my family that I am as pale as a ghost so now I know that the vitamin D has all to do with it. Read some of your posts but wanted to know your dosage given and how often. One poster said he was on his third 50,000 IU pill form. How many and how much do you usually have to take to build it up as I am now taking 3000 I U's a day and it is maybe not enough to get it up. I will appreciate any info out there!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

I take 1,000 twice a day. However, I believe if you were to go somewhere sunny, it would be like taking 50,000 a day. Part of me wants to go somewhere sunny and see how I feel.

Are you also taking calcium? I think low Vit. D can affect how calcium is absorbed.

Have you had any pain relief from the Vit. D?

Old 01-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #8
(female)

Canna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibrostuff View Post
I take 1,000 twice a day. However, I believe if you were to go somewhere sunny, it would be like taking 50,000 a day. Part of me wants to go somewhere sunny and see how I feel.

Are you also taking calcium? I think low Vit. D can affect how calcium is absorbed.

Have you had any pain relief from the Vit. D?
Thanks fibrostuff... would love to go sunny right now.. we all need it apparently. Yes I am taking calcium too but only since November so the vitamin D levels just takes a while to get up .. having said that I am increasing levels but just wondered how high dosages people deficient are taking? Never knew how important Vitamin D was before.. it is amazing

Old 01-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I too have muscle/pain bone which the doctor thinks is caused by the Vitamin D deficiency. My level was originally 19 (32-100). I was Rx 50,000 IU twice a week for 2 weeks then once a week for 3 months. My level went up to 47. It has been three WEEKS since I stopped the mega doses and have just been taking 2000-3000 IU/day. In that little time my level has fallen back to 21. I am back on the mega Rx dose again. Does it always fall that fast? Will I have to take this forever now? When my level went up, the bone/muscle pain (hips and thighs) did not disappear.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
(female)

Rosaflor HB User

I just found yesterday that I am very deficient in Vitamin D. This surprised me as I have been taking a calcium supplement with D as well as a multivitamin with D and I also have a good diet. The doctor is putting me on Ergocalciferol (50,000 units of D) once a week for 8 weeks then once a month "forever". Has anyone had experience with Ergocalciferol? I expect to start it on Saturday. 50,000 units sounds like a lot but I gather my bones are about to fall apart.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Rosaflor, It is the same thing I am taking, I think. The one I am taking is a green gel capsule. I am taking it once a week as well. I stopped for 3 weeks and my level plummeted so I am back on it again. I haven't had any issues while I took it previously. Do you have any symptoms involving muscle/bone pain?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

Hopalong-
Did your pain get any better at all when your level went up?
It could be that the pain isn't related to the low Vit. D, or that you need a higher lever (higher than 47). Also, ask your doctor if there is something that doesn't allow your body to produce/keep Vit. D. Consider going to a naturopath. They would know about how the Vit. D works in the body and how the levels are.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Fibrostuff, I don't know how long my level was up as three weeks after finishing the script my level dropped back down to 21. The hip pain never did go away. I sleep on a heating pad every night otherwise I have such trouble even rolling over! I also seem to have proximal weakness in the muscles around the thigh and hip. Each time I go to the doctor, I am told I "look great!". Even when I feel lousy! The doctor says to stabilize the D level and then we can check from there. I just wonder why it drops so drastically! Thanks for responding. Hoppy

Old 03-03-2008, 02:45 AM   #14
(female)

skays HB User

Did you know vitamin D is actually a secosteroid hormone and not a vitamin at all? Also, there are two forms- the level (25 D) you probably had tested which is the inactive level made in the cells of the skin, and the active form (1,25 D) made in the kidneys.

You really should not need to take extra Vitamin D (in food or supplements) to have enough of the active form in your body. The body makes it in the kidneys using the inactive form that is made in the skin.

If your 25 D level is low chances are the 1,25 D level is too high and you are doing more harm than good by taking supplements.

My son has had problems and started doing a lot of reading and researching and was explaining this to me. Do some research on the Marshall Protocol and what this Dr. Trevor Marshall had discovered. It is fascinating! My son has an appt. with an osteopath this week and is going to see if he can get his 1,25 D levels tested, not just the 25 D.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #15
(male)

paulieboy908 HB User

I too have vitamin D deficiency, mine was to low to measure as well. i did have the bone pain , muscle cramping as well, it also depleated my phosphorus too, i was told by the doctor they go together. I also have some other deficiencies as well, and i'm trying to get to the bottom of this. Oh, make sure you get some sunlight each day as well,

Closed Thread