It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
(female)

sandi2932 HB User
Could I be lacking a particular vitamin because my hair is dry?

My hair has become really dry and has been breaking off. The girl that cuts my hair said that she thinks it is a health problem. The new growth in the back and top of my head is coming in dry too. The new growth on the sides she said is fine. I have had insomia for about 3 years. Due to that I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetics this past February which is in total control. I had dry hair prior to the diabetics though but it's getting worse. A friend of mine saw a dietition on television a couple months ago and mentioned a vitamin deficiency or some type of definincy. Am I lacking in protein? Any help would be appreciated!

Sandi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Could I be lacking a particular vitamin because my hair is dry?

Protein deficiency is unlikely. Copper deficiency can cause brittle hair, though I'm not sure how that would happen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
(female)

sandi2932 HB User

Thank you! I will have to check up on copper deficiency. I really don't eat much meat and I don't eat beans because of being type 2 diabetic, that's why I thought it might be a protein deficiency. I was on the adkins diet for 1 1 1/2 years and lost the first 4 months and within the next ten I only lost five. People couldn't believe it. They were saying how could you be low on protein on a high protein diet. It's because I don't eat a lot of meat.

Sandi

Old 06-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Unless you are poor in the 3rd world and live almost exclusively on rice and leaves or something, it's hard to be protein deficient. Bread, corn, nuts, even potatoes have protein, eggs and dairy have complete protein. And you don't need "much" meat at all, 3 oz of lean beef supplies half your daily protein needs right there. Add up the food you eat in a day, read labels, see if it comes to 50 grams of protein.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

you could be lacking zinc - that's another mineral that's important for hair. I think fish oils are supposed to help the hair, too and sulfur from egg yolks.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
(female)

sandi2932 HB User

I have been taking fish oil capsules for about six months now. It hasn't helped my hair at all. Maybe I need to wait to see what happens after I start using the machine for my sleep apnea. I must have had sleep apnea for the last 3 years since that's how long I've been going to the doctor about my high level of stress and lack of sleep

Sandi

Old 07-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
(female)

moonstorm1954 HB User

Could be a B5 deficiency. To be safe though, if you decide to supplement, do it with B "complex" (ALL of the B's), rather than the individual ones.
B & C are water soluable (excess is cast out in urine), where minerals are fat soluable (stored in body fat cells). I would stay away from the minerals without a dr's advice, because they can build up and be toxic.

Deficiency symptoms in other non-ruminant animals include disorders of the nervous, gastrointestinal, and immune systems, reduced growth rate, decreased food intake, skin lesions and changes in hair coat, alterations in lipid and carbohydrate metabolism, and death.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:32 AM   #8
(female)

Joodles62 HB User

Hi

Could you have iron deficiency? My daughter had very dry hair (like straw!) and we found out she was iron deficient. Also, if you are vegetarian then that may mean you are getting less iron? It would be useful if you could get a complete blood count, ferritin and serum iron levels. It may be helpful to get tested for vitamin b-12 and folate as well.

Good luck!

Old 08-28-2008, 12:11 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

joodles62 - i agree with the iron deficiency. There have been a lot of people who don't eat much or any meat on the anemia board trying to lift their ferretin count and they have had hair issues. Some people might be able to get by on very little meat, but not everybody is the same. It took me 2 years to lift my ferretin from 8 to 61 and i ate an extremely health diet which included meat.

The other group of people with hair issues, especially dry, brittle and breaking are those on the thyroid board.

I tried for years to take vitamins to no avail. I even changed my shampoo to ones which had no laurel suphates in them and still no luck.

I have a thyroid problem and i'm a bit on the gluten intolerant side and this stops your system from absorbing vital nutrients. They also discovered that my digestive system was not absorbing protein foods due to insufficient amount of enzymes. All these things affect your hair.

You mention having insomnia for 3 years? Insomnia is often found with thyroid sufferers. Not sure if it's to do with the thyroid itself or whether it's your adrenal function. If your adrenals are producing too little or too much cortisol it will give similar symptoms to thyroid symptoms.

I'd be getting blood tests for ferretin level and full thyroid study eg: TSH, T4 and T3 and asking for a thyroid antibodies test while they're at it.

Hair issues can be many and varied and it's not something you want to mess about with and spend years trialing various vitamins. It took them7 years to fully diagnose all my issues. I should have tried harder and pushed for more tests, but when my doctor said all was fine i simply trusted him. Big mistake. I should have gone to other parts of this board to learn things from others much, much sooner.

My mother in law also has diabetes and loses a lot of hair, even though her medication is fine.

I'm not experienced in diabetes, but believe it's also an auto immune disease? once you get one it's easier to get others within the autoimmune group. My thyroid condition falls into the autoimmune groups as does the gluten intolerance.

Hope you get some answers soon.

Last edited by Audrey-B; 08-28-2008 at 12:24 AM.

Closed Thread