It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2003, 12:26 PM   #1

Candice157 HB User
Exclamation Hormone problems

I have a friend who has a cancer. Her doctor says that it is estrogen and progesterone fueled and want to put her on hormone blockers. However, these drugs have tremendous side effects.
Does anyone know of any natural, vitamin or herbal estrogen and/or progesterone blockers?
I also have an uncle with some kind of male cancer that is testosterone sensitive. What can block testosterone?

Old 12-28-2003, 10:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: Hormone problems

Aldactone will block testosterone.
I do not know about female harmones???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2004, 12:42 PM   #3

theREDshoes HB User
Re: Hormone problems

It is my understanding that estrogen is the cause of cancer of the reproductive organs of both men and women. The thing is that estrogen and progesterone are antagonistic, they balance one another. So the idea that any cancer could actually be fueled by both of these hormones TOGEHTER doesn't make any sense to me. If you were to become familiar with the work of John Lee MD you would realize that there is still a lot of info out there that is completely incorrect or backwards. It is not about estrogen loss that causes menapausal symptoms but the loss of progesterone. Progesterone is the hormone that is now being recognized as protecting women against heart disease, alzheimers and osteoporosis. Again, the thinking has basically reversed about the role these two hormones play.

I have been using natural progesterone cream for several years and believe that every woman who wants to reduce her odds of breast or uterine cancer should seriously consider using it too. Progesterone, unfortunately, is still not completely recognized for all its benefits.

If you research this further I think you will gain some important AND useful insight for your friend. Again, there is so much misinformation out there about women's hormones.

To answer your question simply: the cancer is probably (almost definitely) fueled by estrogen, and progesterone helps to balance estrogen levels.

As for your uncle, I have seen progesterone recommended for men, but don't know how well that will catch on. And, prostrate cancer is NOT fueled by testosterone but estrogen. Some may say that there is a risk of a man increasing his testosterone level because it increases his risk of prostrate cancer: that is only because it is possible for testosterone to actually convert into estrogen in the body.
Estrogen exposure for both men and women should be reduced as much as possible.

Old 06-24-2004, 11:03 AM   #4

suz9601 HB User

What kind of progesterone cream do you use? I am on troches right now and want to switch to the cream. I am not sure how you know w/cream what the dosage is you are getting. Can you recommend a brand that works and I can tell my dosage? Thanks.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:01 AM   #5

theREDshoes HB User

I use Life-Flo which comes in a pump dispenser. The container says that 1 full pump equals 20 mg. of progesterone. The one problem with using progesterone cream is getting the right dose.

When I first started using progesterone cream about 3 years ago, I know I probably was using too much but it didn't seem to cause any problems for me. Recently, I've started to spot a little before my period starts and just before I ovulate. It could be from too much progesterone cream getting converted into estrogen in my body. (Any kind of bleeding is usually an indication of estrogen.) But, when I consider that I don't have sure breasts anymore I think I am better off now. I've been trying to use a lower dose and that does seem to be helping.

Getting the right dose is really the only problem with using progesterone cream. That's why I think it is a good idea to understand your hormones when you use natural remedies so you can listen to your body and know how to deal with any changes that come up.

Good luck.

Old 09-18-2004, 07:49 AM   #6
Inactive

fyrelight74 HB User
Post Re: Hormone problems

I had uterine/endometrial precancer. My doctor treated me with progestin therapy.. I took Megace for 6 months... it's a very high dosage of progesterone. Mild progesterone like Prometrium or the creams aren't strong enough to work once you already have precancer or cancer. I had nasty side effects from the progesterone, though... weight gain, blood sugar rise, high blood pressure, depression.. but, hey, it worked, so now I can go on to trying to get pregnant!

Pam

Old 09-30-2004, 08:06 AM   #7
(female)

alltaurus HB User

Note though that Progestin and progesterone are not the same. Natural progesterone is the EXACT same make-up as what the body produces. Progestin is made in a lab and there ARE slight differences. I would never reccomend progestin over progesterone!!!

Old 12-30-2004, 02:40 AM   #8
(male)

zahradream HB User
Lightbulb Re: Hormone problems

Look up Vitex, Wild Yam, Dong Quai and False unicorn root, also called helonias. I have hormonal problems and they work amazingly. takes bout 6 months to begin working...lots of patience is needed.
Hope it helps

Old 03-06-2005, 11:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi
Reading this thread makes me very uneasy. If I had cancer I think I would put up with the side effects if the treatment was going to stop the cancer growing. Ive been on Zoladex (similar to Lupron) which stops the ovaries producing hormones (oestrogen I assume). Okay so you wouldn't choose to go on it if you didn't have to, but she could certainly use natural remedies to help combat the side effects, such as having soya to counter hot flushes.

Closed Thread