It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 03:03 AM   #1
(male)

Mcduck58 HB User
are there any self tests to show your magnesium,and b-12 levels if low

Old 02-24-2009, 03:54 AM   #2
(female)

polkaadot HB User
Re: are there any self tests to show your magnesium,and b-12 levels if low

self tests for magnesium and b12 deficiency - i would first say, check if you have any of the symptoms listed for any of the deficiencies first and if you do, then you should probably take a blood test to rule it out.

i'm not sure otherwise how you can self-test for magnesium, but i know for B12 - look at your lower, inner eyelids. Are they a healthy red colour, or are they pale/ or whiteish? if they're the latter - then you might possibly have a vitamin b12 deficiency.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
(female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcduck58 View Post
No get the tests.....
If you are checking B12 which is my area I dont knwo much about magnesium sorry
Ask for the following
Serum B12
Homocysteine
UMMA
Active B12 holotranscobalomin
Red Cell Folate
Iron studies
FUll Blood Count
Thyriod T3 & T4 and thyriod antibodies

Checkout the symptoms for B12 there is hundreds because it affects all systems of the body..........
As far as having pale eyelids ect (sorry polkadot dont want to offend) they would only be that way if you are B12 deficienct anemia like PA you do not have to be anemic to have B12 deficiency.........I was extremely deficient and never had this problem as I was not anemic although I was low in iron common with B12 def....

There is something interesting and I would use this a diagnostic test by any means......I remember reading an article about fingernials and B12 deficiency stating that if you have no moons on your fingernails then you are well I lokked at my nails and I only had them on my thumbs low and behold after 6 months of intensive treatment they are starting to reappear on my other nails
Just a little bit of trivia but dont diagnose by this....

Hope this helps
cheers

Old 03-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Hmm...interesting about the fingernails...I never knew that! I recently had some bloodwork done ordered up by my endocrinologist. One of the things that he noticed was that my red blood cells were large (in volume). He told me this is generally related to low B-12 and/or Folate. He ordered up more labs to double-check my B-12 & Folate levels...just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I should get the results by the end of the week. However, I just checked my fingernails - I have very prominent "ridges" on all of them, and "moons" on my thumbs, index, and middle fingers...with the moons on the thumbs being the largest and most visible, and the moons on the index & middle fingers being quite small. I do have extreme fatigue/low energy, and always feel like sleeping (unrefreshed sleep no matter how much I get)...but those symptoms could also be related to my hypothyroidism...so who knows.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
(female)

oceanlover2 HB User

You should get the blood tests. The no moons on your fingernails can be a sign of vitamin D deficiency, which I found out the hard way. Calcium can't absorb without D and magnesium. In this country you mostly get D from the sun or from milk products that are enhanced with D. In this day of sunscreen use, indoor jobs and dieting, lots of women get vitamin D deficency and never know it until their bones start to become weak. Severe lack of D can also make you feel very tired. It's an easy blood test and an easy thing to correct. My moons disappeared from all my fingers except my thumbs. They came back slowly after I got my vitamin D levels back up.

Closed Thread