It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008, 04:37 AM   #1
(female)

skurburski58 HB User
Question questin about "serum Phosphate"need help"please"

Hi
First i need to say I have Osteoporosis and am being tested for Thyroid.
I noticed some of the blood work I got back from the lab said my calcium
was ok and had an "h" by the Phosphate. Their high end of range was 4.1
and mine phosphate result was 4.8 So do I have anything to be concerned about?? I have to say I was"shocked" that my calcium level was ok because I haven't been taking calcium tablets "much" because they"wellllll constipate:-)
But I found out from reading hormones and all that the parathyroid takes calcium from your bones to keep the blood calcium level ok....I'm confused.
Since then I have been trying hard to take my vitamin and calcium ,oh and I'm Vit.D insufficient.Thanks for any help..you are the best!!! Shirl

Old 10-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
(female)

carolina08 HB User
Re: questin about "serum Phosphate"need help"please"

Do you take Vit D? I take Vit D 1.000 mg a day. I have osteomalacia and osteoporosis. You need to take calcium. If I am not mistaken, phosphate affects the funtion of the parathyroid. But you can ask your doctor. I have like you, deficiency in Vit D. All the best to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User
Arrow Re: questin about "serum Phosphate"need help"please"

I'm just starting to read up on this stuff. Please tell me if you learn more. I have low phosphate symptoms. And I take plenty of calcium, and my last test was ok, or so they said for calcium. But I have malabsorption problems, so I'm trying to balance my phosphate, and it sounds like you cannot buy suppliments for it over the counter in the US? I think they said calcium and phosphates are antagonists, so if you take one you make yourself too low in the other. Maybe you get a lot of phospated from meat and dairy, as they say they are high in phospates on some websites.

Closed Thread