It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
(female)

jaimmersd HB User
Question Just diagnosed with Vit D level of 8....

Dr has me talking 50,000 units once a week (prescription) for twelve weeks and then retesting. He seemed concerned that this was EXTREMELY low and I know I have been feeling like crap for as long as I can remember. I am also B12 deficient and give myself a shot once a month for this.

I am exhausted and ready to sleep or lie down most of the time, can't get interested in anything, depressed, lethargic, dizzy painful joints, etc. Actually about a month ago I felt like my leg bones were bending when going up and down the stairs and changed the way I was walking to modify that feeling. Now I am wondering if it could have been true. At the time I blamed it on my weight, but could it be a combination of both?

How long does it take to feel better? I also have diabetes that they are trying to regulate, so everything just kind of piles on.

Anybody have experience with all of this and what have you felt on the Vitamin D?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
(female)

jaimmersd HB User
Re: Just diagnosed with Vit D level of 8....

I have read the posts on this board about this subject. Please let me know how you are doing now and if you have long term illness due to this deficiency. After researching on the interet I am scared of the damage done to my health and my health risks due to this. It says increased risk of death, cancer, diabetes (which I already have), obesity (have that too).

Does increasing the vitamin D take away the risk factors or has the damage already been done? Guess I am just panicking. How have you progessed? Please, anyone respond that has gone thru this, I need to know there can be good outcomes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
(male)

Padro47 HB User

I know this does not help to answer your question, but I have been feeling the same way and at my begging my Doc tested my Vit D level got results today 9.16, so I am with you, have you also had the lightheaded tingling going on as well???

Old 12-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

I had vitamin D deficiency. My level was 10, after two months on 50K IU twice a week it went up to 18, two more months at the same Rx and my level was 50. Now, I take an OTC 1000mg tablet everyday.

It's hard for me to say whether I had symptoms or not, I came down with and was diagnosed hypothyroid around the same time. Other than some moderate bone loss (osteopenia) I haven't had any long term effects from the deficiency. I believe it's chronic, untreated, vitamin D deficiency that causes the whoppers - death, cancer, etc.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
(female)

jaimmersd HB User

Yes. I just feel all around bad. I am so tired can't hardly force myself to get up and get ready for work. I close my office door and nap during my lunch time. That seems to be the only time I can sleep well. At night I have a lot of issues with going to sleep and mostly staying asleep. I'm up often in the middle of the night and watch a movie to put me back to sleep before I have to get back up at 6.

What does your dr tell you? Mine just called to tell me he was calling in a prescription and really didn't give me any information on the problem.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

brendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB User

I was diagnosed this past spring with a Vit D level of 6. I was having problems with my ankle hurting and feeling really stiff, and I was feeling a little fatigued but I really didn't notice any other symptoms.

When I was put on the 50,000 IU's per week, I felt like crap and was extremely lethargic!

I have done some research and it turns out the Vit D in the 50,000 IU's prescribed by the doctors is Vit D2 which is a plant-based Vit D. The animal-based version is D3 which is much better absorbed and tolerated by our bodies. Also, the Vit D2 only stays in our bodies for 2-3 weeks, whereas the D3 stays in for a couple of months. You can get Vit D3 in any health foods store. I now take 3,000 IU's of D3 per day and probably will for the rest of my life. Check with your doctor to see what dosage is correct for you after the 50,000 IU tablets get your level up.

Be aware also that once your level is up it can quickly fall if you don't continue taking a supplement since the D2 leaves our bodies so quickly.

I also found out that we are supposed to take calcium supplements at the same time we are taking Vit D supplements, so be sure you are taking calcium also or the high levels of Vit D you are taking may steal calcium out of your bones. I wasn't told this by my doctors, but found it out on my own.

I now feel much better that my D levels are up and don't experience the fatigue I used to.

My primary care physician is really not very knowledgable about Vit D and I think there are a lot of doctors that really don't know much about it.

I'll admit I felt rather shocked when I found out my level was so low - you probably feel the same way!

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
(female)

susu2007 HB User

Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency around mid-October of this year. My levels were 12ng. I started taking 1000IU every day and eating fish three times a week. Three weeks later my levels had gone up to 19ng. I continued taking the 1000IU and my levels are now 30ng.

I don't take Calcium supplements with my vitamin D because when I had my calcium levels tested, they were excellent. I had them tested again last week along with my vitamin D levels and they were still very good (almost at the highest level of the recommended normal range).

Does that mean I have to start taking Calcium supplements because I am taking vitamin D supplements although my calcium levels are very normal?

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
(female)

susu2007 HB User

I forgot to mention that I take D3 supplements. I refused to be put on Alfacalcidol which is a form of D2 and carries a risk of increasing calcium levels in the blood to dangerous levels.

From my own experience, D3 supplements of 1000IU and eatig fish three times a week did the trick of raising my vitamin levels from 12ng two and a half months ago to 30ng now.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
(male)

Live to fish HB User

I too have a reading of 8 and just started (01/01/09) 50000 iu per week. I have had the lightheaded, dizzy and tingling also. Jammersd how do you feel now? Are you currently still taking vitamin D?

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-04-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

HI Everyone! I went to the doctor today because I feel like I am low on vitamin D again. I am scared. I think it is going to come back pretty low. Last Feb I was at 22. She put on 50,000 iu a week. Then when I was tested in Sept. 08 it was up to 33. I got lazy and stopped taking my Calcium with D pills. I think I went from Oct until now Jan. 09. I have all the bad symptoms back again. DIZZY, LIGHTHEADED, RINGING IN MY EARS, PRESSURE IN MY HEAD, SHAKY, ACHY, AND HEART PALPATIONS. No one knows what this feels like unless they have been deficient. It is NOT a good feeling. I have been there before. That is why I had her test me. I have only been on my Calcium with D for 3 days now. I doubt if I can notice much difference yet. I think I am going to need the big does. Yikes!

So anyhow.. Apparently the levels are suppose to be 30 to 50? Maybe up to 80. I don't know. Does that sound right?? I am so afraid she is going to say mine is in the teens. Maybe lower. I even had a bone scan last spring and hadn't lost bone mass yet. Man I didn't realize how serious this is.

I am hypothyroid too so this doesn't help matters. Grrrh! Is anyone feeling rotten? Because I think being low makes you feel terriable. I think my worst symptoms is the weird pressure in my head and ears. I hope it is this and not some brain tumor. See how I think the worst. Please share your stories. Thanks!

Last edited by TEdds83; 01-26-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

HI Live to fish and all! Just got a call from the nurse and my doctors office. It turns out I am low on vitamin D. I have a 26. Which is low. I guess normal is between 25 to 80. So I guess 26 is the bottom of normal?? I don't know. All I know is I feel like crap. Tired!! muscle twitches, dizzy, weird sensation in my head, ringing ears...on and on.

Tomorrow I will pick up the 8 week prescription for 50,000 iu to be taken once a week. I can't wait to get started on it. Here we go again. This is the second time this has happened to me. I need to figure out how to keep my level up there once I get back up there. ugh! This stinks! It really does.

Last edited by TEdds83; 01-29-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
(female)

dfosnight HB User

I have had a vitamin D deficiency for 11/2 years now. My level started at 20 and it has now dropped to 12. Some reason I cannot metabolize Vitamin D. Dr. just put me on 50000 twice a week plus 2000mg daily. He thinks I might have Celiac disease.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow I hope you don't have Celiac's disease. I will get checked for that when I go to the Endocronologist. I looked it up and I don't have most of the symptoms. Maybe a couple. I will still get checked for it. It says you can loose weight. I can't seem to loose any. So that one is not a symtom for me. I am sorry your level has dropped. Mine is at 26. Well they tested me and broke it down to two catagories. One was a 5 and the other was 21 and they say you are to add the D2 and D3 together, I guess. Heck, I don't know. I just know I am going for help.

I am on the mega doses twice a week now, but I think it is too strong, I am itchy, constipated, nauseous, achy, muscles twitching...etc...I didn't have this before I started the pills. Ugh! This is all so frustrating for me.
You aren't alone! Hang tough!

Last edited by TEdds83; 02-12-2009 at 09:32 PM.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:38 AM   #14
(female)

kris45 HB User

After going to the Mayo clinic for a host of issues, they found my Vit D level at 8. I was put on 50,000 U of D, 2 times a week for 2 months. Needless to say, living in sunny San Diego this stunned me. However, I just finished my 2 months and I am awaiting my results. I have not taken anything for 2 weeks waiting for my results, I hope I don't drop in this time.

I had severe pain in my right elbow where I could barly staighten it out along with severe foot and back pain. I noticed in my last 2 weeks of the D my elbow pain cleared up. I am starting to feel twinges now again. Foot and back pain did not change. I am osteopenic but I am menopause too. I wonder if this is from the lack of D. My doctor at home didn't even know the name of the blood test. They say lack of Vit D is becoming very common, most people have it. Anyways, I think I have started to feel some change but not completely. Guess I will see when I get the results. I think I was starting to get rickets, even though they don't call it that in adults but it is the same thing in essence, soft painful bones. They actually held off on the Fibromyalgia diagnosis until they resolved my D and see how or if the pain subsides. Interesting huh.....

Last edited by kris45; 06-19-2009 at 02:40 AM.

Closed Thread