It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User
Doctors opinion = no such thing as vit B12 deficiency

Hi, everybody.

I have got degenerated discs in my spine due to causes unknown. The doctors don't think anything is wrong with my spine and say that they don't know why I am in pain. I started having this back pain and leg problems since I was 17 when I was really ill with a virus at 17.

I have heard that vitamin B12 deficiency and other dietary and metabolic deficiencies can sometimes cause degenerating bones and symptoms similar to mine.

I asked my doctor about this and he said that I don't have a deficiency because I would have a bad stomache i.e. Celiac disease. He hasn't tested me for it because basically he says I haven't got a deficiency. Should I ask a second opinon as I don't think he knows much about my problems or about orthopaedic, Neurologic (leg sensations, etc) or dietary conditions.

I have noticed that every doctor I've ever gone to see just dismisses my symptoms because he cannot see them. Is this common for doctors to dismiss symptoms?

Basically my doctors keep guessing that I haven't got anything rather than actually testing to rule out that I haven't got it.

It just seems to me like every doctor I go to are just too lazy to be bothered even doing anything to help put my mind at ease. How can they actually look at a patient and say "No you haven't got that" when clearly they are just guessing? It makes no sense to me.

I've never liked doctors to beging with now I don't like them even more. They can't be bothered to help their patients...

Thanks for reading this post and I'd be grateful for any help or advice that any of you may be able to give.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User
Re: Doctors opinion = no such thing as vit B12 deficiency

I would be grateful if anyone had an opinion on this as I am not sure what to do.

Is vit B12 an essential in maybe preventing degeneration of the spine which I've got?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niad View Post
Basically my doctors keep guessing that I haven't got anything rather than actually testing to rule out that I haven't got it.
This is malpractice. Shocking, really.

See another doctor, or an attorney, or both.

I'm pretty sure degenerative disc disease is caused by osteoarthritis. It can narrow the spinal canal which can cause ALOT of pain.

As someone who's had Celiac for several years and was raised by a Celiac mother - I can you you can have severe Celiac and not know it, no symptoms at all, till the effects of malnutrition, or even intestinal cancer, catches up with you. There is a simple blood test for Celiac.

Low B12 is rare but it can happen with little or no symptoms, another simple blood test would answer the question. The supplement Folate (folic acid) can mask the symptoms of low B12. If you're taking stomach pills, they can interfere with B12 absorption. The peripheral neuropathy (numbness and tingling) in severe B12 deficiency is called "glove and stocking" because it usually effects the hands and feet. [url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-vitaminb12.html[/url]

Since your symptoms are centered on your spine/nerves, a neurologist seems a good start. Definitely mention the viral illness you had before your first symptoms began - certain virus' can lay dormant in the spine only to cause neurological trouble later.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 12-29-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Hi, AuntieLeela and thanks for your help and advice, I really appreciate it.

I'm now looking to see a new doctor as the current one I saw was just not good or professional enough in my eyes.

Perhaps the neurologist can order these tests for Celiac and B12 deficiency but I'm not sure.

I'm not taking any stomach pills or any other kind of medication.

I'd have thought this doctor I'd just seen would've ordered these tests anyway, knowing it could be a possibility or to at least rule it out rather than guess that I haven't got it just by looking at me from his chair!

He just said that I'd have symptoms if I had something like a deficiency or other problem! I don't believe him. He guessed on my spine and sent me straight to physio before even having me x-rayed! This could've contributed to the damage I now have with my spine as I didn't have the neurological symptoms as bad before then. This doctor seems to me to be one to guess rather than test! Not a good attribute in a doctor. A good doctor would order any and all tests possible to help make the patient feel at ease and rule out everything possible. Doctors aren't psychic so I don't know why they always usually choose to guess rather than go on the solid tests which would usually truthfully tell them.

I will mention the virus to the neurologist as I am still suspicious it is to do with this virus that I had in 2005.

I also now have a bladder problem where it doesn't empty completely. I don't leak. I have full bladder sensations, intermittent pain/cramping feeling on my right side, near the groin and frequency. I started with numbness on my pubic bone in April 2008 and then in May I started to notice I was going a bit more than usual but at that time I didn't have the full bladder feeling or this intermittent pain/cramp in my abdomen, just the frequency. Then in late August it all came at once, the frequency, full bladder sensation, etc.

I'm quite taken aback by the fact that every doctor and spine surgeon I've gone to see so far has said it's nothing to do with the virus and that it was 'just a coincidence'. Though they probably don't know about it or have never heard that viruses can cause neurological damage. They don't seem to be very knowledgeable on quite a few things, including my Schmorls node that they never even mentioned was there! Only the radiologist observed the fact I'd got a Schmorls node and degenerated discs. The spine surgeons that I saw said my spine looks ok! I believe the radiologists who did the report, not the spine surgeons, as the radiologists know exactly how to read and interpret x-rays and MRIs.

I will demand these tests for Celiac and B12 deficiency until they actually just do it as I've had enough of the doctors telling me I have or haven't got it by guessing. They can't just guess and then that's it! In my opinion that is just extremely dangerous. How these doctors and surgeons qualify is just...I don't know...rediculous!

I read an awful lot in the papers and on the news about these sort of medical malpractices and then the patients die because of the doctors' negligence for guessing rather than actually doing the proper tests.

It's sad as I'd have thought in this day and age they'd have never been allowed to guess and would, by protocol (where does protocol exist? I'm not entirely sure!) have to order tests to be able to say that the patient has or hasn't got a condition. It's basically illegal how they have guessed and not done the tests to go with it. Putting lives at risk in the medical profession is against what they actually trained for. I thought they trained to help people, not kill them. It's sad...

Hopefully when I mention the virus and about Celiac and B12 deficiency being a possibility the neurologist may actually be a medical professional and actually order those tests.

I am not going to give up on finding out what could be wrong with both my spine and nerve damage/symptoms.

Sorry for the long post. I just felt I needed to let my feelings out as the people on here are good at lending a listening ear and it's somewhere I know I can always come and talk to other people who have similar problems.

Thanks for your advice and help and I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Kind regards

Niad

Old 12-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Good for you! Give 'em heck!

Your new neurologist will be able to order those tests, although he or she might refer you to a gastroenterologist for the Celiac testing.

Hopefully we'll have better doctors in the new year. '08's been a long rough road, can't say I'm sad to see it go!

Happy New Year!

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 12-31-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Hi, AuntieLeela.

I'm determined to find out the cause or at least rule many of the obvious possible causes to my problem as I know that a good doctor/surgeon will do all he/she can to help that patient and exhaust every possible test available and at the moment I'm not getting any of this sort of desirable care in the slightest, just a few guesses and that's it.

I certainly won't miss the doctors/surgeons that I've seen so far as they haven't heled me in the slightest!

I can't wait to see some professional doctors/surgeons, that is, if I can actually find any!

It's going to be one hard going year just like the previous years but I've got to find the right doctor/surgeon to help find out the problem.

It feels like I've had this for ages now, though I have now been left with it for 3+ years!

I too hope we'll have better doctors in the new year as so far my satisfaction with the ones I've currently seen so far is certainly below average.

Happy New Year too!

Kind regards

Niad

Old 02-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
(female)

dfosnight HB User

You should also have your dr. test your vitamin D level. I have a B12 and a D deficiency. I cannot metabolize the vitamins so my level keep dropping even with meds. Dr. now suspects Celiac disease. Tell your Dr. there is such a thing as Vitamin B12 deficiency and he can call Cleveland Clinic to verify there is.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
(female)

smlbehppy7777 HB User

I think I am having the same problem with doctors. I had a baby 6 months ago by C-Section. Ever since I have had unexplained pain and nerve problems. I have pain in my legs and sometimes they feel numb or have weird sensations in them like they are asleep or very heavy. I have what feels like electric shock going up my spine to my neck almost every time I walk. Something else that is weird is that my hair started turning a few years before I got pregnant, went away when I was pregnant, and now has returned worse than ever. There was one time when my body had started shaking for no reason and then the bottom of my feet and toes went numb. When I went to the ER they told me it was because I had a bladder infection and my body doesn't like to be sick. Stupidest thing I've ever heard. I have so much pain in my lower back. I've been to physical therapy and no change. I had an MRI from an orthopedic of my back that showed nothing and basically the doctor said I was still recovering from birth and sent me to rehabilitation. It just feels hopeless like no one believes me. It wasn't until last week that I thought maybe it could be from b12. My mom called me and told me she was just diagnosed with a vitamin b12 deficiency from intrinsic factor. I just went to my regular doctor and had him do a blood test, so hopefully this might be it. Just hang in there and be persitant, don't give up. Go to a different doctor if you have to. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Do you know if they test for b12 in the prenatal bloodwork?Thanks.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
(female)

smlbehppy7777 HB User

i forgot to put grey in there. my hair started turning grey.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
(female)

Drain Bamaged HB User

Hello ~ Smlbehppy7777

Hopeful, this post finds you doing better as each day passes somethings do also. In reading your post I found myself asking some questions and I do hope your able to answer them...if not, maybe the questions may ring a bell.
Myself, I'm a No-Show when it comes to many an MRI, X-ray, Blood work ect. It never means there is nothing. The body does'nt send messages of pain or discomfort on a continual basis unless there is something.

~ Before pregnancy, everything was in order, and you were not experiencing the lower back, leg, & neuro problems ?

~ Your entire pregnancy was determined by you & Dr. as normal ?

~ Were you taking prenatal vitamins ?

~ Did you have an epidural before the decision was made on C-section ?

~ Did you continue with the prenatal vitamins after delivery and back home ?

~ In your youth, teen, young adult ect. Was there any bumps against your spine or hip area or falls from playing sports or tag ect. ? or the missed approach to sitting on a chair and you hit your bottom on the floor type thing ?

The one Dr. that had the MRI request on your spine was possibly going in the right direction. Do you recall the Script Request. Was the MRI done with contrast ? I really relate to the spinal electric shock up to the neck. I even get a build up of pressure in my lower spine and then it shoots up into the Neck and Head.

In my mind, I see this as a volcano or thermometor builing up pressure then rising really fast. That happens alot when singing. The process is in taking a deep breath ~ holding on to that breath down in the lower abdomen to hit the high notes. It's floored me one two many times...hahahaa Hit the notes, but I'm on the floor.

Hope you recieve the results from the Dr. soon for the B-12.
Best to you and your new Baby...

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-13-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread