It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
(female)

chelsea88 HB User
am i anorexic?

A few people have told me for a while now that I am getting too thin, despite the fact that I am still a perfectly healthy weight. I am 5'8'' and the last time I was weighed I think I was somewhere around 135-136. I do not obsessively check my weight, but I will admit that I don't eat as much as I should and worry that when I do eat, I am going to gain an entire five pounds back. I am also hypothyroid in a really shakey place with my treatment, so weight is something that really concerns me. I eat maybe one meal a day and have a granola bar or so for breakfast. The things is, I've gone on this way for so long, that I am never hungry. I couldn't eat more if I tried. Today I fainted twice and wasn't sure why... it was the morning, I was in the shower, and I hadn't had anything for breakfast yet. I'm not sure if that maybe had something to do with it. But considering I have never fainted, I'm trying to reevaluate my habits and figure out what's going on. Should I be worried? Should I see a doctor?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:46 AM   #2
(female)

polkaadot HB User
Re: am i anorexic?

i definitely think your behaviour would sooner or later lead you to the cycle of an eating disorder. it's great that you seem your aware of this, like that you are in fact eating much less. just one meal a day and some snacks definitely isnt enough for a normal person.

I believe too, that because you've been eating less, your body has slowed down your metabolic rate too - to conserve energy. this, when thinking bout weight loss/maintenance - is not a big help because when your body is slowing down and trying to conserve energy , you won't be able to lose weight easily because when you eat more, you'll more likely to gain more.

But weight is not the biggest problem here. what should worry you is that because you have a hypothyroid already, you don't want to slow down your metabolism even more. plus - if your not eating enough , you definitely would'nt get enough nutrients either in your diet to stay healthy.

i would say you should see a counsellor/psychologist about your eating disorder behaviours, as well as a gp to check for blood tests if you have any nutrient deficiencies etc, also possibly a dietitian/nutritionist too thgat will help you with meals and give you a more healthy and sensible approach to weight loss.

please take care, eating disorders dont seem to be fun, no.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread