I just got back a blood test showing a B6 level of 958 nmol/l (in a reference range of 40-100). My doctor said this is high enough to be toxic and I have had symptoms of peripheral neuropathy, a burning sensation in feet, and brain fog. My question is what could possibly cause such high levels?? I take a multivitamin but it has only 25 mg. ALso, does any one know how to de-toxify other than not take any vitamins!?
usually a toxicity of B6 is caused by oversupplementing, there hasn't been many cases where it's due to ones diet etc but it could. The B6 you get from supplements is usually pyridoxine, and even though its water solube and passes thru in the urine, long term supplementation can cause symptoms you are having at the moment.
You said your supplement has 25mg of B6. The RDI for adults aged 19-50 is 1.3 mg/day. usually doses higher than 25mg /day cause all these symptoms, but if you have been taking it more than once daily, or for a very long time (or both) - plus depending on how your body handles it (ie whether its more sensitive to large amounts of supplements etc) it could have very likely caused your overdosing symptoms.
there has been cases where ppl have been diagnosed with an overdose when taking anything less than 500mg/day (but still well above the RDI level) for a very long time.
but yea, to me i would say def because of the supplements if there is nothing wrong with your diet etc, or obv, if you have to diseases that affect the way your body handle/process vit b6.
Thanks for your message! I have been looking on the web for ways to reduce toxic levels of B6 but haven't found any information and I can't get in touch with my doctor. Do I just have to wait - or is there something else I can do to reduce levels?
i would suggest you to stop taking the multivitamin supplement with the B6 in it, just temporarily for now because it currently seems to be the possible cause of the overdose/toxicity, provided that your diet is already well-balanced, also because B6 toxicity from actual food is very rare too.
are you still having symptoms? have you had any treatments suggested by your doctor at all? did they put you on any medication etc? if you still have those symptoms and its affecting your overall health and daily activities, i would also suggest you to perhaps contact another doctor while the other one is away. it's better to get it handled as quick as possible before any further damage is done. however, at the moment when you're waiting, definitely discontinue the multivitamin, but theres no guarantee that your symptoms would disappear altogether straight away because it takes some time for the body to flush out the excess vitamin.
I've been unfortunate enough to find out that I, too have B6 toxicity. I've been taking 2mg daily either through a direct supplement (which I stopped for over a year) and then through a daily multivitamin for the past six months.
When I was first diagnosed, they didn't explain that it was related to the chronic pain, chronic fatigue, and peripheral nueropathy issues I was having... I was simply told to stop taking the supplement (which I did).
Last year, my doctor told me to start taking a daily multivitamin because my anemia wasn't letting up with iron supplementation... and I didn't even think about the multivitamin containing B6 (apparently, neither did he).
I've obviously stopped taking my multivitamin, but I am posting because my naturopathic doctor (I've just started seeing) is recommending starting very gradually on magnesium as it "affects" how B6 is utilized in the body - which could help with detoxing.
The Following User Says Thank You to pennyia For This Useful Post: silversurfer45 (07-03-2011)
Hi just wondering how long it took for you to recover from your high level? Ive just been tested and mine is 558nmol/L (range 30-110 nmol/L). I was on a b complex daily that contained 50mg b6 & a multivitamin also that contained 25mg b6 for approx 3-4 months. I have been having tingling numbing hands and feet (had nerve conduction test about a month ago, all normal) and now it seems it may be my high b6 level? Ive stopped taking all vitamins but just wondering what your outcome was & if you did anything else to reduce your level? Thanks
I, too, am curious how long it takes to see an improvement. I have been dealing with a recurrent cryptosporidium infection now for over 2 1/2 years. Last spring I developed tingling in my feet and hands. My doctor recommended taking 1000 mcg b12 daily. I did that and it went away rather quickly. Then it started happening again. This time I took the b12 in b complex vitamin. Then when I didn't feel any improvement, I had b12 injections and then went back on the sublingual b12,too. Then I added a multivitamin which had b vitamins it it, too. Long story short....after all of this I discovered I'd been taking really high doses of all the b's (b6, b12, folic acid) My folic acid levels are 5 times the recommended high level. My b6 levels are 3 times the recommended levels and my b12 is 2 times the high level. So I've been taking only 19 mg/day of b6 on a regular basis for the last 6 months and 800-1600 mcg/day of folic acid. I have now quit taking every b vitamin except b12. I'm nervous, though, in stopping them as I read on some websites that b6 helps repair nerve damage. How do you know what is the right thing to do?
Hi KSmamma. Its a hard one to answer, but looking at what your recent levels are, Im pretty sure you did the right thing going off supps. As far as B6 is concerned, your body only needs @1.5mg daily, and you can easily get that from your diet, i.e. 1 cup of Kelloggs All-Bran contains @3mg of B6 which is twice what you need!! I have included a link below to a US website that has B6 content in foods listed, one lists them alphabetically and the other lists by highest content to lowest. Its very handy! Im in Australia, but I'd say the food is pretty much the same Ive done some research on B12 and as far as I can see its relatively safe and toxicity is rare (unlike B6!!!). Not sure about folate, but if I were you, and it sounds like you have a good doc that WILL check vitamin/mineral levels, I would have regular checks on your levels (say every 3 or 6 months) to monitor your progress. I will be doing the same. Another person suggested that if your not keen on eliminating supps completely then perhaps take a childrens multi or pregnancy multi, i.e. elevit as they hav minimal amounts in them. Personally, I have stopped taking all supplements and using a good diet, and will get my levels checked regularly. Im hoping symptoms will pass soon too. Take care