It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
(female)

baweepa HB User
Amino Acids Deficiency? Help Needed for Vegetarian

Hi Everyone,

I've been a vegetarian (no meats including fish) for over two years. I'm wondering if I'm not getting enough amino acids into my body due to my diet!

Looking back I've realized that once a 'bounce back' personality, usually upbeat and positive, over the past two years I've slowly become filled with anxiety, fear and have a yo-yo personality. Not quite like bi-polar as my 'ups' aren't really 'up'. Reading about the importance of the amino acids to the brain, I think I might have found the problem.

On top of everything, I am finding that I am probably allergic to soy! Every time I eat soy I have pain and digestive problems. So, eating more soy won't be an option.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Help! My family will thank you, too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
(female)

polkaadot HB User
Re: Amino Acids Deficiency? Help Needed for Vegetarian

i'm a vegetarian too, have been for quite a while since 2005. at first it went sort of on/off, because i had to take it slowly with going from meat to no meat, and i did have some problems with getting enough of various nutrients initially. currently, however, i think my body is used to the vegetarian diet and i feel absolutely fine

with amino acids - its true that other plant sources dont have the essential ones except soy, which you are allergic to. I rarely eat soy, havent been for a very long time. havent noticed any differences. for me im more concerned bout my iron, b12 and zinc levels.

but if you suspect an amino acid deficiency.. you should def see a doctor and have some bloodtests done. it could possibly be something else too.

but yea, from personal experience - i reckon i just eat enough vegetable protein from nuts and seeds mostly, and enough protein from dairy products, as well as enough calories, i def feel healthy and energetic and all. no diff from when i wasnt veggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Amino Acids Deficiency? Help Needed for Vegetarian

Most traditional vegetarian or near-vegetarian foods and diets include vegetable sources of protein that are complementary enough to provide the essential amino acids. Grains + legumes (beans, lentils, peanuts) are a common combination. If you consume significant amounts of milk or eggs, you will get additional complete protein from those as well.

Of course, if your protein needs are high (e.g. weightlifters and body builders or many other athletes), or you consume large amounts of low protein foods (e.g. fruit, foods high in added sugar and/or fat), you may have to check to see if your total protein intake is sufficient.

Closed Thread