It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

marjorie59 HB User
what do i do if vitamin b12 doesn't work for a defiency of b-12

I was diagonsed with a vitamin b-12 deficency and treated with shots and vitamins. It worked and my symptoms left. The vitamin b-12 tablets started leaving me with headaches so I stopped taking them. Within a week my symptoms are back. What do I do now?
Marjorie

Old 03-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
(female)

polkaadot HB User
Re: what do i do if vitamin b12 doesn't work for a defiency of b-12

hmm.. so you get the vit b12 symptoms again when you stop taking the tablets? i had a severe vit b12, iron and folate deficiency before and went on shots and all thge supplements too, it took like 6 months for my body to recover, ie for symptoms to go away cause i was severely deficient.

It could be that your body is still 'fixing' itself up you know, with symptoms that come and go, because youv already had your shots and that for sure will bring up your b12 levels, ie. i dont think your short on b12 anymore.

are you sure you're not iron deficient or folate deficient? cause these work together with b12, and they can produce the same symptoms when you're deficuient. say, it could be an iron deficiency, and the b12 youre getting from tablets/injections doesn't work as properly if your lacking another nutrient that helps with the b12.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
(female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjorie59 View Post
I was diagonsed with a vitamin b-12 deficency and treated with shots and vitamins. It worked and my symptoms left. The vitamin b-12 tablets started leaving me with headaches so I stopped taking them. Within a week my symptoms are back. What do I do now?
Marjorie
Hi
B12 deficiency is complicated...
It is not merely a matter of getting the levels up then your fixed.....
You should find out why you are deficient as it can be familial.......also some people can not take the oral form it is useless....
The type of B12 one takes is important....I have the active form the only one my doctor uses on me and my children and in between we use the Sublinguals Jarrows 5000mcg.....
I was severly deficient in B12 and folate low ferritin and vit D......for us it is a problem in the pathways genetic so we take it all the time...
It is important to be consistant with taking B12 and larger doses for healing...You need to be taking cofactors for B12 too like the folate and a good multi supplement of B vitamin.....Do not take iron unless you are deficient.....
The thing is too If you have a undiagnosed condition causing the B12 def then it will continue have you been checked for celiac or crohns.....
Often we who are deficienct are actually dependent on it unless you have something like being a vegan and take large doses of B12 while changing the diet for several months to a few years to heal sever damage the you may be ableto function with the supplementing because you are now getting it from your diet if you choose to stay vegan then you will need to continues B12 therapy for ever.....If you are celiac and you go gluten free you should eventually be able to go with B12 therapy but if yo have PA or something genetic in the pathways you will have to have it for ever......

Last edited by moderator2; 03-02-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
(female)

London Sue HB User

I have the same problem with most vitamin tablets. I have spent a fortune on tablets that give me headaches. The trouble is they are just not as pure and healthy as we hope they will be. Mine need to be gluten-free. Even though the bottle says free of wheat etc. it is other additives and fillers contained in them that will give me a severe headache lasting several days.

Whiteners, fillers, preservatives will all do it. It is so frustrating because I too want to take B12 and other vitamins to promote my health and wellbeing.

I also believe that the processing and extraction of the vitamins could possibly be the cause of my headaches e.g. some processes involve alcohol and that alcohol could be glutenous alcohol. Sometimes it is what the capsule is made of that could contain the substance to give the headache.

Vegetable oil could also be made from glutenous crops - such as wheat!

Labels still are sadly not detailed enough for us allergy/food intolerant types!

If anyone knows where to buy really pure vitamin tablets for allergy sufferers please let me know!

Closed Thread