It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
(female)

nannie8 HB User
Vitamin D Deficiency - Need information

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency about a month and a half ago by my rheumatologist. I was put on 50,000 IU D supplements, once a week. I am to meet with her again in August after being on this for a few months.

I'm confused as to how I could have gotten this. I live at high altitude (CO) and get plenty of sunlight, even though I don't go out and "tan." I walk and hike a lot and play outside with my dogs. I do work indoors, but I also live in the sunniest state and in my opinion, get plenty of sunlight. I moved to CO 3 years ago from the East Coast.

I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, grains, etc. My diet is fairly healthy, though I do occasionally eat "junk."

I had an abdominal hysterectomy about 8 months ago (kept my ovaries, so I am not in perio or menopause whatsover. I was tested for that).

I gained some weight since surgery and quitting smoking; I could lose about 15 pounds, maybe a little more.

So...I don't smoke, I get outside, I have a mostly healthy diet, I don't drink alcohol, so what else can be causing a Vitamin D Deficiency? What are the risks?

Thanks for any help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User
Re: Vitamin D Deficiency - Need information

Could it possibly be a malabsorption issue? Some people just don't absorb certain vitamins & minerals properly, which can result in deficiencies. Perhaps consulting with a GI doc, may rule this out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
(male)

BASEBALLNUT HB User

I lived in fla all my life moved to n carolina 6 yrs ago and recently had my d level taken and it was very low the sun in colorado is not intense enough i know i ski there alot, also vitamin d is a fat vitamin once your levels get to the correct range minimize your intake could be dangerous <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-11-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: removed profession

Old 07-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

When you go out and hike or walk the dogs, what time of day is it, and how are you dressed? If you go out only in the early morning and late evening dressed like a conservative woman in Afghanistan, you might not be getting much sun exposure on your skin to make vitamin D.

Also, does your diet contain vitamin D containing foods, such as some types of fish, egg yolks, and vitamin D fortified foods?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
(female)

Le98 HB User

Hi Nannie8,

In addition to what others have posted, here are some other factors that can affect Vitamin D status. They come from a paper by Michael Holick, MD, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in 2004:

-Age: A 70-year-old makes only 1/4 the amount of vitamin D that a 20-year-old does when exposed to the same amount of sunlight

-Obesity: Vitamin D is fat-soluble, and body fat can serve as an irreversible sink for body fat, putting obese people at risk for Vitamin D deficiency

-Sunscreen use: sunscreens block the lion's share of UVB radiation, which is required for the synthesis of Vitamin D in the skin

-Skin pigmentation - dark skin acts as a natural sunscreen

* link to commercial website removed by hb-mod, moderator *

I hope this helps!

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-14-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Please don't post links and/or instructions regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
(female)

buzzbuzz48 HB User

I take 21000 IU of Vitamin D per day after being diagnosed with low Vit D levels.
Vit D defficiancy is very common as most people get their vitamin D from sunlight. Darker skined people tend to be more vit D def than lighter skinned people.
It is a good thing to be on the Vit D pills.

Closed Thread