It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
(female)

mott07 HB User
How to verify gluten intolerance

I have both epilepsy & lupus. When I was first diagnosed with the latter illness 4 years ago, I had a blood test that was positive for celiac. A follow-up intestinal biopsy debunked the blood test & I was told not to worry about this. Recently, I changed lupus doctors & she recommended that I go on a gluten-free diet, suggesting that the consistency and severity of my fatigue might be related to an underlying gluten intolerance. It has been going well - there has definitely been a change in my energy level, but there is a complicating factor that is confusing matters and regarding which I need some advice:

My blood tests for my epilepsy drugs came back high so they reduced them a bit. Therefore, I am not sure if the diet is what is helping my energy or if it's the reduction in my neurological meds. This may seem like a silly question, but is there some way to test whether the diet is working? Like, if I have a beer or a slice of pizza, should it then cause stomach upset & fatigue? Or, will it inevitably do that because I haven't had any gluten for 6 weeks?

I know that ideally I shouldn't have changed my epilepsy meds while starting the gluten-free diet, but it was just at the beginning and I didn't want to be overmedicated neurologically for months.

I'd be grateful for any insight you mig

Old 07-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: How to verify gluten intolerance

Very interesting. One thing you should know if you change your diet you may have better absorption and you may need less medication..

You last Doctor made a mistake not paying attention to your Celiac test.

I do not know what your symptoms were before but I can tell you I felt an immediate change in energy, outlook, hunger, stomach problems gone and achy muscles gone within a week of going gluten free. I am milk and gluten free. I tried a piece of wheat bread and then a slice of pizza......I paid dearly for it so I do my best to stay away from all gluten. I have tested the waters.

I have read where some Celiacs do not have any symptoms.

I may have to decrease my medications as my intestines heal and I absorb better. Time will tell.

I have Hashimotos and Celiac.

Come visit at the Immune disorder board.

Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
(female)

mtngal HB User
Re: How to verify gluten intolerance

I would stick to the gluten free diet. I would not experiment with anything like that. If you are feeling better then stay with what is making you feel better. You don't need beer and pizza anyway. Stick with good fruit and veggies with lean meats, fish, and you will even feel better than you do now. Keep your weight down to normal and be glad that you have improved. Many people don't seem to be able to improve in some things no matter what they try so you are lucky that you are doing better. Don't do anything that may cause a reaction.
mtngal

Closed Thread