It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

Jcklecka HB User
Potato intolerance?

I saw a naturopathic doctor, who then conducted a food allergy test on me by *****ing my ear. The tests came back stating that I have a potato intolerance, meaning I cannot eat any forms of potato. With this, the doctor stated that Dextrose, vitamin A palmitate, ascorbyl palmitate, and baking powder all contain some form of potato. What they are pretty much telling me is to not eat anything baked: buns, muffins, breads, pizza dough, cake, cookies, or ANYTHING else that contains baking powder. I have not been able to find any information regarding potato intolerances online, nor I have been unable to find anywhere that says baking powder contains a form of potato.
The doctor feels that potatos are leading to my dry skin. I do not have any digestive problems.
Does anybody have any information?

Old 10-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
(female)

Naturenutty HB User
Re: Potato intolerance?

Hi, I'm actually looking up more information online now about potato allergy/intolerance. I've learned a couple of years ago that potato was causing my eczema and recently I'm led to believe it is causing other problems too- emotionally, thyroid-related, and energetically. I usually avoid it and don't cook it at home but I gave in to the potato salad and chips at a party. The next day I could barely get out of bed. Like a big dummy I wanted to double check so I had a bite of something my hubby brought home and now have a hug canker sore on my lip that came right as I ate it. Sooo, when you mentioned you don't have digestive problems, neither do I! If you are having other problems that led you to do the allergy test, try to completely avoid potatoes and see what happens. Its news to me that baking powder has potato. You can call the manufacturer on the label and ask, I'm going to do that too.
When you search online look up solanacae allergy/intolerance as well. You probably have to avoid the other members of the potato family as well - tomatoes, peppers, tobacco, eggplant to see a real change.
I know it's a challenge and I wish you the best of health.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
(female)

user913 HB User
Re: Potato intolerance?

I believe your naturopath performed the Carroll Food Intolerance test. I also had that test and am genetically intolerant to potato. I am surprised that you did not receive printed information about your intolerance with suggestions for changing your diet, other than avoiding "Dextrose, vitamin A palmitate, ascorbyl palmitate, and baking powder". Trust me, it is shocking how many processed foods contain potato, and not just those you mentioned

Lactose and gluten intolerances are well known and I hope that some day other food intolerances are equally well documented.

Good Luck

Last edited by moderator2; 06-11-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: please do not direct searches to specific websites

Closed Thread