It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
(female)

ahhchoo HB User
Protein Deficiency?

I'm curious as to whether I have a protein deficiency. I was sick for about a month and wasn't eating much at all so I lost quite a bit of wieght. I take a multivitamin, which I took throughout my illness. While I was sick the only thing I could really eat was apples, salad and orange juice. I have no idea why, but everything else just seemed so gross to me, in particular chicken. Maybe it was all the Albuterol I was using...I don't know.

Now that I feel better all I want to eat are foods high in protein. Not necessarily foods high in iron, just foods high in protein...eggs, chicken, pork, beans, soy beans, more chicken, fish, seafood, milk, yogurt, etc. And I'm eating various sources of protein...foods I don't normally eat. The other day I felt the need to buy pinto beans...I don't even like pinto beans and they actually tasted good! What's the deal? This is very unlike me. If it's a protein deficiency, how long does it take to correct and when will the cravings end? Is my body actually absorbing the huge amounts of protein I eat with each meal?

Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
(female)

DietAngel HB User
Re: Protein Deficiency?

It sounds like your body is craving protein since you didn't eat much of it for a while. Protein is essential for repairing the body. Generally you will crave what your body is lacking and in this case it is protein. To get back on the road to health make sure you are eating 3 meals and 3 snacks per day every 3-4 hours. Make sure you include a protein source at each meal and maybe even in one of the snacks (like raw nuts). It is key to maintain your blood sugar during the day to avoid craving unhealthy foods. Base your diet on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and protein. Avoid processed foods and white sugar. Plan your meals and prepare them ahead of time if possible. If you stick to a healthy eating pattern you will probably notice your protein cravings will disappear since you are feeding your body what it needs. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread