It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

Songcanary HB User
Appetite loss

Hello everyone,

I am new to this board and appreciate all the good info I have read.

I lost 10 lbs without trying over the summer of 2008 and also had increasing episodes of lightheadedness, diarrhea, nausea and appetite loss. I also had lethargy, blurry vision, leg & arm numbness, ataxia, hair loss, chills and generalized weakness. My doctor couldn't explain this.

I had a brain MRI, head CT, upper endoscopy (twice), echocardiogram, abdominal CT w/contrast, celiac panel, small bowel follow through and three sets of bloodwork, all WNL.

I began to suspect B12 deficiency after having bloodwork ordered by my allergist, done by Spectracell, which showed a borderline deficiency, along w/Biotin. My primary doctor completely dismissed my concerns because my serum B12 in July 09 was 441. My gastroenterologist does not think this is my problem, either, but I think he's more open to considering it. I do have a family history; my maternal grandmother had it and took B12 injections every month. I also was a vegetarian for 22 years until 2006 when I resumed eating meat due to extreme lethargy and hair loss from a ferritin deficiency of 30. I responded well to iron supplements and no longer take them.

I started taking oral B12 on Nov 22 '09 and immediately felt better on the first day. I have continued to take between 2,000 and 3,000 mcg daily since then and have noticed great improvement in the lightheadedness, energy level and other symptoms. I do have occasional relapses. But my appetite is a chronic problem. I used to just plain eat my way through a day, and now it is nothing like that. Seems to be worse in the morning, with quite a bit of nausea. I am having trouble maintaining weight and can barely stay at 95. I have been as low as 92. My normal weight has always been around 100.

From reading these posts, I realize that recovery can be a slow process and I am a very patient person. But does anyone have info on when my appetite might normalize? Or are my doctors right and maybe I don't have a B12 problem after all? What else could explain these symptoms? I feel like I've been checked for everything else on the planet.

Thanks for any guidance here!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread