It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
(male)

blackomen HB User
Long term effects of a high fat, low calorie diet?

Recently, I've been under a lot of stress and my appetite overall has gone down the tubes. However, I've noticed that I've been craving fats a lot more than usual (like butter, fish oil tablets, etc.)

I've been eating a lot more fats than usual but significantly less carbs (I used to eat a high carb, low fat diet in the past.) Since my overall calorie consumption has gone down, my weight has actually decreased slightly in the past few months despite adding substantially more fat into my diet (and I wasn't overweight to begin with.) I also feel more energetic now, esp in the mornings.

I'm merely following my body's cravings for a change, but if there are any negative long term effects from doing this, I'd like to know. I'm roughly consuming 80-100g of fat and about 1500-1800 calories a day.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
(female)

model1979 HB User
Re: Long term effects of a high fat, low calorie diet?

not at all depending on the fats you eat! i do the same thing as you. i eat tons of MUFAs, (the rest of my diet is very low sugar/carbs and higher on fats and proteins) and i have never felt better. you can still get carbs from veggies and fruits. if you need some sugar i suggest you eat lower sugared fruits such as berries. for a sweet snack, try getting raw unsalted trail mix. the only concern would be IF you are consuming too much animal fats. however, to eat EVOO and natural nut butters will only add to your health.
I dont know how many fat grams i consume but the amount you mentioned does seem a little high. If I had a sample of your diet menu it would be easier to see where the fats are coming from. How do you know its 100 grams and where are these 100 grams comming from?

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-03-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: removed quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
(male)

blackomen HB User

I don't cook much food, and just eat packaged food plus individual fruits and vegetables raw. So I can easily look up the amount of fat and calories on, say, that slice of cheese by looking on the packaging labels. Or the nutrients in that apple and tomato serving by googling.

My diet consists mostly of cheese, butter, yogurt, plus tons of fresh fruits and vegetables (remember, I can't cook much so I'll just eat them raw and unprepared.) I'll also add a little bit of bread (to put the butter on) and pre-cooked fish or sausages for protein. I'll also occasionally eat some pasta or ramen noodles (1 or 2 times a week.)

Last edited by blackomen; 04-03-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Cheese, butter, and whole milk yogurt are high in saturated fat, which might not be good for your blood cholesterol levels. Fat consumption that favors unsaturated fats, such as from nuts, non-hydrogenated vegetable oils, avocados, olives, and fish, is likely to be healthier.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
(female)

model1979 HB User

It looks like the majority of your fats are coming from animal sources. I would try eating foods from scratch since you would be able to moniter the amounts of fats you are using.

Try eating nuts, natural nut butters, salmon (this is a very fatty fish but its great for you), trail mix, avacodo (i can never spell this!)

cheese and butter are all high in saturated fats. This is not the best way to get your fats. Why is it you cant cook? Is this just palatable to you?

Sausages contain a ton of salt, and again, its a saturated fat.

Try sticking to lean meats and add olive oil for your fat. use basil for flavor and even sun dried tomatoes.

What do you think?

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-04-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 04-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
(male)

blackomen HB User

Well, at this point, I'm merely answering to what my body's craving..

..and it's craving dairy products and fresh fruits and veggies..

..and it's sick of meats and pastas..

Cooking defeats the purpose when I have major cravings for fresh fruits and vegetables to begin with (not to mention it's so much healthier.)

The extent of my "cooking" may be to put some butter or melted cheese on my veggies..

so I'm going from here as a starting point.

Last edited by blackomen; 04-04-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
(female)

model1979 HB User

cravings can also be mislead. If you are craving dairy then I would stick with the yogurt. Again, try to limit all the cheese and processed foods. I agree with you, I am not for pasta either. In fact, I am not a carb person at all.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-04-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread