It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
(female)

Fitness Seeker HB UserFitness Seeker HB User
Re: low vitamin D

@tired Poet--I'm wondering how things are with you also. I've been anemic for yrs and around the same time became very fatigued and short of breath. But the reg MD kept insisting these "symptoms" were related to my anemia. AFter 2-3 yrs and a fibroids surgery my symptoms still persisted. i sought a 2nd opinion last yr to try to hunt down what was causing severe exhaustion, fatigue, sleep issues, and shortness of breath w/ onset of physical activity.

My iron /ferritin still remained very low, almost non-existent. They said i was no longer "anemic" although the hemaglobin sometimes is in the lower range or below the range. As i got sent from MD to MD I asked to check for thyroid and vit d this time after they discounted me last yr.

Vit d deficiency was positive this time. i'm trying to see if they can refer me to an endocrinologist. Is it normal for the thyorid numbers to go from the 1 to a 3.2 within 2-3 yrs? It's within range and the gynecologist said it was elevated adn sent me to the internist to figure out all the problems but he kind of ignored it.

As I go for my follow up, are there tests that i shd request for? How will they be able to rule out what's causing the deficiencies of iron/ferritin/vit d?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #17
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitness Seeker View Post
@tired Poet--I'm wondering how things are with you also. I've been anemic for yrs and around the same time became very fatigued and short of breath. But the reg MD kept insisting these "symptoms" were related to my anemia. AFter 2-3 yrs and a fibroids surgery my symptoms still persisted. i sought a 2nd opinion last yr to try to hunt down what was causing severe exhaustion, fatigue, sleep issues, and shortness of breath w/ onset of physical activity.

My iron /ferritin still remained very low, almost non-existent. They said i was no longer "anemic" although the hemaglobin sometimes is in the lower range or below the range. As i got sent from MD to MD I asked to check for thyroid and vit d this time after they discounted me last yr.

Vit d deficiency was positive this time. i'm trying to see if they can refer me to an endocrinologist. Is it normal for the thyorid numbers to go from the 1 to a 3.2 within 2-3 yrs? It's within range and the gynecologist said it was elevated adn sent me to the internist to figure out all the problems but he kind of ignored it.

As I go for my follow up, are there tests that i shd request for? How will they be able to rule out what's causing the deficiencies of iron/ferritin/vit d?
I would suspect a malabsorption/gastric problem over your levels. I have similiar problems and atropic gastritis. My acid producing glands, the parietals have quit. You can request an autoimmune panel, and one for these parietal cells in particular.

Also you can ask for a tiny raise in levothyroixin medication, or as to be started on a tiny dose, 12-25 and claim you are concerned you are sublcinical hypothyroid now! The endocrinology websites will say as of about 3.0 you would have subclinical hypothyroidism if I remember right.
Your body could also be making antibodies to the thyroid, a GP can order this test too, given the changes in your numbers. They suggested I get off gluten when my tests were very high in antibodies, but I think it was really high over iodine suppliments I was self-treating at home. You immune system is likely involved, you are also potentially describing chronic fatigue syndrome. So the autoimmune panel may raise real suspicions if you beg to get that one done for sure, it would indicate RA, or other Lupus indicators as well, and inflammatory disease markers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #18
(female)

Fitness Seeker HB UserFitness Seeker HB User

@LL37-

I'm currently taking iron and Vit D supps. Supposed to go back for a blood test in a few months. Should I hold off on this sub-clinical hypothyroid test (autoimmune test) and just do it on the next blood test?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #19
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User
Lightbulb Re: low vitamin D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitness Seeker View Post
@LL37-

I'm currently taking iron and Vit D supps. Supposed to go back for a blood test in a few months. Should I hold off on this sub-clinical hypothyroid test (autoimmune test) and just do it on the next blood test?

I'd want to know if I had any autoimmune problems as soon as possible if I could pay for the tests. What's a sub-clinical hypothyroid test?
You can ask if the Dr. will run and antibody test to your thyroid so you and they know how much your body may be attacking it with antibodies. A different grouping of tests are usually run as one called an "autoimmune panel" which looks for things like Rheumatoid Arthritis, and other evidence of major autoimmune or inflammatory disease, such as Scleroderma(I have I believe), Lupus indicators, etc....

Closed Thread