It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User
What are your Vitamin D deficiency symptoms?

I'm curious what symptoms, if any, those of you who have been diagnosed with low vitamin D have had.

I was just recently determined to have a low level (15 ng/mL), and have had the following symptoms which I'm not sure whether or not I can attribute to this deficiency - but I [B]do not have a thyroid disorder[B] or anything else that might explain them. Mostly it's been blamed on chronic fatigue syndrome:

intermittent bouts of telogen effluvium (hair loss)
extreme fatigue
muscle weakness, especially upper arms and thighs
foggy memory
"slow" thinking - forgetting easy words, etc.
burning sensation on bottoms of feet at night and sometimes when standing for a prolonged period
intermittent skin rashes that appear quickly and go away within a short time

What are other people experiencing?

Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
(female)

Indianmist HB UserIndianmist HB User
Re: What are your Vitamin D deficiency symptoms?

Hi,

I just had my levels tested and the total levels(D2 & D3) came back at 6. I have been prescribed a weekly D Vitamin at 50,000 iu. The symptoms I was having prior to finding out my levels were:

Extreme and very debilitating fatigue

Hair loss

Extreme muscle weakness, so much so that I have now been diagnosed as having Myasthenia Gravis

Shortness of breath

Chronic Dizziness and Vertigo

Brain Fogginess/Mental Confusion

Heart Palpitations

Muscle Cramps and Spasms

Blurry/Double Vision

Loss of Balance

Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
(male)

Beachbum123 HB User

Yes, all of the above and virtually anything that mimics MS. Just had first injection 3 days ago and waiting to see what happens now. Worst for me right now is blurred vision, fasciculations, jolts, mild cramps, and roaming tingling. Best to all.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
(female)

9na HB User

Hi!

I've just been diagnosed with vitamin d-deficiency, after a year or so of different symptoms and problems (more and more symptoms as the time went, and doctors didn't find anything wrong - very frustrating!). I list my symptoms in the order that they have appeared:

- chest pain - probably muscular. Sometimes hard to breathe.
- constantly tired/worn out (fatigue?)
- headache
- stomach-problems - mostly diarrhea
- dizziness
- back- and neck-pain
- tender spots in the head/scalp
- hurting throat - feels a bit swollen often (gland, or something?)
- blurred vision

Probably I forgot something, but anyway. It seems to me as if the symptoms are way more intense during my period - has anyone else experienced this?

I started taking D3 a few days ago, I chose Dr.Joe's spray (a bit of googling told me the one my doctor prescribed are no good, so I haven't bothered picking it up).

I'm wondering - how long dit it take before you noticed any improvement?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User

Fatigue, muscle aches, and muscle weakness mostly. I got brain fog but I'm also menopausal. The doctor gave me a prescription for Vit D that didn't do any good at all. It took a few weeks of taking D3 (2000 mg per day) that I started to feel better. I've heard you can take a lot more than 2000 mg, but don't quote me.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
(female)

ZuZu1968 HB User

I have most of the above symptoms and have been trying to ge a diagnosis for years since it first started with extremely low ferritin levels, lowest was 5 and I've had iron infusions which weren't succesful. I have been given the prescription for 50,000 Vit D once a week for 8 weeks...whats the difference between that and D3?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
(female)

jloubelle HB User

Depression, anxiety, fatigue, insomnia, inability to lose weight when I diet & exercise -- these have all just been "normal" for me, for years. At least a decade. I've just fought through it and taken Lexapro and Xanax and seen a therapist and a personal trainer ... but I never. Ever! Suspected any kind of vitamin deficiency.

Now I've just discovered my Vitamin D is 6.9.

SIX POINT NINE!!

I just started today taking 5k of D3/day.

But I don't know what to expect. Is this really going to make my depression and anxiety go away? Am I going to be able to fall asleep and stay asleep all night, then bound out of bed with a song in my heart in the morning, raring to face the day?

I don't know how to be that person.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have seen results from their vitamin D supplementation -- how long did it take you to notice a difference, and how profound was the difference? Has anyone really seen their depression and anxiety and fatigue and insomnia disappear?

Closed Thread