It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
(male)

ThePatrick HB User
Low Vitamin D Levels: Cause of problems?

5 weeks ago while at work I started having dizziness. I turned pale and started to sweat all over. My hands and legs became very shaky and felt unstable. My left ear started ringing and my whole body felt heavy. As if a small child was sitting on my shoulders. I felt that I had lost control of my body and had to give extra effort to function. It was around 100 degrees in my work environment at the time. There are cooling units but they only make it 10-15 degrees cooler than normal. I have been doing this work for 10 years. I stay hydrated. Wear light clothing and make sure I am urinating normally. This is the first issue I've had at work.

I have been off work since. I am still suffering from random dizziness. Muscle aches in hands, legs and feet. I still get very sweaty at times. It can be 68ish in the house and I'm sweating even with fans on me. I feel very fatigued and have gone from sleeping 8 hours a day to sometimes 12. I have gone from almost never getting a headache to having them daily now. I have a undying thirst. I drink all day and usually my urine is clear. My hydration levels came back normal in tests.

I have visited the doctor at least once a week while being off. My blood work all came back normal. Minus vitamin D. The doctor seemed very surprised by how low it was. (Sadly I don't have the numbers). She also seemed interested in knowing that my potassium levels were right on the money. She seemed to expect both to be low. My urine was also tested and everything came back normal. Though, she found vitamin D in the urine she said it was trace amounts and it is a common misreading of a urine test. I have been on 5,000 IU of Vitamin D/day for two weeks. Other than turning my stool green for two days I haven't noticed any changes.

She originally thought it could be Influenza or Heat exhaustion. But she feels that both would have gone away by now. And I also haven't had any stomach issues. I have been tested for diabetes, have had an MRI, blood work, urine testing and other than Vitamin D everything turned out normal. I feel like I'm taking steps back and not getting better. Could all of this be caused by low Vitamin D levels? Is two weeks of 5,000 IU long enough to start seeing improvements? I do trust my doctor and I feel like she's taking me seriously. I feel happy with the tests she has done so far. I guess I'm hoping for someone to read this and say "Hey I think I know exactly what this is, mention "such-n-such" to your doctor!" I do not smoke, drink or do any drugs.

Any advice is greatly welcomed
Thanks,
Patrick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Low Vitamin D Levels: Cause of problems?

It takes awhile to turn low vitamin D levels around. Give it at least 6 to 8 weeks before you retest.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Re: Low Vitamin D Levels: Cause of problems?

You should request a copy of your blood test results. If you post them here, someone may see something out of line. Have you had your thyroid levels tested. Hyperthyroidism can cause some of the symptoms you mention. How about calcium levels? HyperPARAthyroidism can cause some of the symptoms. Look up the symptoms of "high calcium in the blood". Hyperparathyroidism is under diagnosed. Your calcium level should be in the 9's even though the reference range sometimes goes to 10.6!

Vitamin D takes quite a while to build up in your system. Note* If you by chance have hyperparathyroidism, the Vitamin D will cause your calcium level to increase even more. It is one of the diseases with which you should NOT supplement Vitamin D. Good luck to you! Hoppy

Closed Thread