It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
(female)

ArizonaSunrise HB User
Food Aversion and Cravings

I have been struggling with food aversions.

About 3 months ago I suddenly started to gag and have extreme difficulty eating fruit and nuts - including my favorites. About a month ago I started having the same problem with vegetables and now a couple weeks ago meat. I now find myself struggling to even eat, almost everything including my favorite sweets. My diet has been reduced to juice, slushies, popsicles, saltines, and cheese. I crave frozen stuff more than anything else and find warm or hot food unpalatable. I have gained about 15 lbs from this. As I am now finding ice cream (one of the last foods to go) unbearable I hope to soon correct this...I did succeed in eating half a salad a few weeks ago but it was drizzled with a huge amount of sugar laden *****ly pear dressing and a substantial quantity of cheese. I also managed some turkey bacon last week but felt quite unwell afterwards.

Any idea what to do about this or what the problem may be. The only info I can find on food aversions tells me it is a psychological response regarding a specific food. I can't find anything to explain why I gag at all my favorite foods and now want to live on cheese and slushies.

I am worried about my nutritional future. I force myself to take a multivitamin everyday despite the fact the smell nauseates me (but that is nothing new).

Old 10-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User
Re: Food Aversion and Cravings

How old are you? Could you be pregnant? Sometimes we go through stages in our life where our preferences change. There is nothing wrong with that except we must be careful not to let it develop into anorexia nervosa. When you find yourself feeling negatively toward a particular food try substituting it immediately with another food that appeals to you at this time. Try not to focus on the smell or texture, just put it in your mouth, chew, and swallow. Has something happened that has made you anxious or depressed lately? Also, have you been exposed to hepatitis? Let me know and hang in there! Sincerely, searchin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread