It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
(female)

WMRMGR HB User
Smile B12 deficiency - ? permanent effects

Hi all! Stumbled onto this site quite by accident but it caught my attention. I had an incident this summer where I wound up being transported to the ER; my 11-year-old son had to call 9-1-1 as I was driving en route to the hospital when everything from the neck "shut down" so to speak - peripheral neuropathy is the correct terminology. The ER doc diagnosed a severe anxiety attack and said the symptoms I experienced in the truck were caused from hyperventilating (if anything I was practicing controlled breathing so I wouldn't freak my kids out). I was given an Rx for Ativan and sent on my way to follow up with my doc three days later. When I met with him, he stated I demonstrated classic panic disorder symptoms and prescribed Paxil. I trusted his judgment; I had no idea what was going on with me but that something was not right. I took one dose of the Paxil and had such a severe paranoia reaction that I refused to take it again at which point my doc stated I needed a shrink (I fired him immediately after 10 yrs of care). I met with a friend a few days later, a retired cardiologist, and we discussed everything that had happened. It was during this discussion that a question of gastric bypass complications arose. I had gastric bypass 11 years ago, so along ago I didn't think twice about complications. But when I got home I searched the web for "long term complications of gastric bypass" and lo and behold the first thing to pop up was B12 deficiency. I went to that link and a list of about 30 symptoms popped up. My symptoms that I had been experiencing were on that list, as well as many more that I related to the stress of being a mother, a full time nursing student, etc. I had neglected my multivitamins and my B12 oral supplement. When my B12 level had been drawn in March I was told it was within the normal range; turns out it was on the low end of normal and I have no margin to play with. By June my level had crashed was my suspicion. I immediately doubled up from 500 mcg to 2000 mcg a day and within a few days most of my symptoms had resolved. My new doctor is monitoring me. I just had a blood draw yesterday and we will review the results on Friday. I've been taking a daily Centrum Performance multivitamin, and take a B12 every 2 or 3 days, along with an iron supplement.

My question, however, is what are some of the permanent damages that could remain from the B12 being so dangerously low? Since the June incident I have remained with a form of anxiety, some major, most minor. I take Ativan PRN, which I will plan to discuss with my physician. I hate to think this may be a part of the rest of my life.

What concerns me are that a number of physicians so easily prescribe meds for panic/anxiety disorders without looking at the entire picture. How many of these patients have their levels out of whack? Anyway, thanks for letting me write. I don't really have anyone I can share this with who might understand what I'm going through.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread