It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Craving meat all the time

I bet at least one person who reads that title will giggle.

But I've felt this way for a few years now: at least once a day, I will have a craving for meat. Occasionally I get a craving for a certain type, but most often it's just I want whatever's handy, like some sliced deli turkey or chicken or what-not. I also occasionally can sate these cravings with eggs.

Is this normal? I love vegetables and fruits too, but even now, despite eating a burger and a cutlet today for lunch and dinner respectively, I still kind of want something with meat. And I've tried taking a multi-vitamin with iron before too since I've heard the craving meat thing might be from anemia, but this didn't do a darn thing for me.

Also, and this may just be my misguided belief, isn't anemia something most often found in very thin folks? I just find it hard to believe that I weigh around 200-210 pounds and I'm somehow deficient in anything. The only other cravings I get are for sugar or carby things, but not nearly as often as meat cravings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Craving meat all the time

Maybe you are protein deficient and need the added protein.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User

Of course it's normal. Normal, healthy bodies need meat. The more organic, the better. I'm always in a good mood when I'm getting enough meat in my diet.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User
Thumbs up Re: Craving meat all the time

I am the same exact way!! I'm always craving meat/ protein. And I am not iron deficient or anything. I don't have a sweet tooth at all, but I do have a salty tooth (I guess), so while people crave ice cream and donuts, I want steak, or chicken, or cheese, or genoa salami wrapped with cheese... LOL. I love veggies too. My favorite lunch would be some kind of rotisserie chicken with steamed veggies. Frankly, meat just tastes better, IMO. I always felt that breads and carbs were just in the way of the goodness. I am known to take the top half of my burger bun off because it interferes . I don't think there's anything wrong with us. We just have to try to balance out the red meats with lean meats. Pick and choose your sandwich meats because some are high in sugars. Try not to eat too many eggs because of cholesterol, etc.

And I also substitute my meat cravings with hard boiled eggs if meat is not attainable at that moment. And if there's no eggs in the house, I just go to bed!!! LOL. It's really like an addiction. I HAVE cooked up steak at 11pm

Mmmmmm meat.................

Old 02-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Gah, the worst part is I have several cravings. Usually it's either meat or sugar, but occasionally I may want something salty and crunchy.

Usually, deli meat or an egg will suffice me, but I'll eat chicken, turkey, fish, beef (hamburgers usually), leftover Chinese food, jerky, etc. The worst part is that sometimes, I will crave meat and not actually even be hungry. This is definitely something I need to work on - eating only when hungry and not when craving. I keep the whole, "If you're hungry enough to eat an apple, then your hungry for real" thing in mind, but I gotta get my appetite under control in general and eat less in the face of a rumbling stomach. I'd love to get Hoodia for this, but I can never tell what's real and what's a scam.

But anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who craves meat. I just had an awful craving for something meaty, so I dug an old burrito out of the freezer and made that. May not even have been real meat, but it sure hit the spot.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

PS, ham and cheese hot pockets (the crossant ones, cause the original has been changed around so much that i don't really like it, hits the spot for the later times...)

It's funny you mentioned Chinese because I LOVE Chinese. I wonder if there's a correlation in all of this. Seriously, a wonton soup would suffice in a meat craving situation... or most high sodium soups actually. But again, I don't have a sweet tooth at all. Coffee or soda is all I need as far as sugar. Am I'm not the type of 'if you're hungry, you'll eat anything'. That's a huge negative on my part. An apple (or a PB&J sandwich is a slap in the face!!). I have a high metabolism and I am low weight, so I guess there is a difference in our craving threshold. But if I am craving meat, it has to be meat/ animal related. I'l eat a can of tuna and mayo and lemon juice before I even touch a PB&J. Or a can of vienna sausages! An apple?!? Seriously, that is offensive to me. Because I do like to eat.

If you are trying to lose weight, Atkins diet may help- if you can lay off carbs for a bit. Their induction period is pretty hardcore. But if you can do without carbs, it's a piece of cake, since you like meat/ dairy. Also, the cabbage soup (if you're into soup) may help. You can always toss in some beef chunks into the soup to help. It's not part of the diet, but again, it's meat!!! so if you're doing low carbs/ high protein, it helps. Granted that you're a soup feign like me.
Again, can't relate to sugar cravings. But salty meaty cravings is my life!!! And I think a meat (which is protein!!) craving is much better than a sugar craving. I suggest having chicken tenderloins and meat loins (sirloins, or even filet mignon) on hand. They cook fast and satisfy most cravings (if you have the time!!) you like veggies, which is a plus cause you can balance it out with veggies. These are 'quick fix' to our problem. And again, they are low fat- since it seems like you're watching your weight. A thin piece of steak is done just as quick as a frozen burrito!!!

Mmmmmmm meat . Just stocked up on hard dried salami and cheese and eggs

Closed Thread