It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User
Apples for Health

One apple a day keeps the doctor away.....so the saying goes.
I do it an apple every day, lately I like to bake the apple, helps with my little chewing problem.
My question is: Does the apple lose any of the vitamins or nutritions when it is baked??
Thank you for your reply.
Laura

Old 01-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User
Re: Apples for Health

I see many people read my post but no answer? I know that vegetables, when cooked, lose some of their nutrition. Is it the same with apples when baked? I'm a senior and really don't like apples, also have troubles chewing uncooked apples, but like baked apples. And the reason I eat an apple a day is for it's nutrition!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Eat the peel, cook it until it's tender but don't cook it to death, and don't mix in sugar. Then the nutrition shouldn't be damaged much if at all.

Now, the fact is, apples are not the most nutritious fruit on the planet. They mostly just provide fiber. If you don't like apples and have difficulty chewing them, try bananas, plums, pears, citrus, any berries, etc.

One reason apples are in the old saying is that in the old days, during wintertime, apples were the only fruit available, because they kept better than the more delicate ones. When blueberries were only available 4 weeks per year, suggesting people eat fresh blueberries every day would be useless advice. Now? Absolutely eat blueberries! (The frozen ones may even be MORE nutritious than fresh, because they were "frozen at the peak of perfection" and didn't lose nutrition in transit.)

Old 02-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

janewhite, thank you for your reply. One reason I eat apples daily because they keep for a long time and are cheap. Berries are kind of expensive and go bad fast. But frozen blueberries sounds good, because I like blueberries. I'm a little confused about cooking the skins of apples. I guess it means they do not lose the nutrition when baked?

But I must say, to this day people still talk about the apples being ...........etc.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:00 AM   #5
(female)

Aquilo HB User

Most health types will probably want the myth to continue (not that I am saying its a myth) as many people need encouragement to eat health foods like fruit, so I guess it is even re-enforced so that people will think about eating fruit now and again.

About the peel I guess if you peel your apples before baking then you should eat the peel, unless you bake it whole.

I had apple crumble last night, but I don't suppose that was to healthy.
Aquilo

Old 02-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi yes, the apple does not seem to contain much vitamin A but what little there is, could be destroyed or damaged by heat as according to something I read vitamin A can be damaged by cooking. (of course that means the carrots too so thanks for asking this question)

The biggest damage for the apple by heat may be for enzymes destroyed or damaged by cooking.

The apple is said to be good for the stomach, liver, intestine, kidney and skin.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Jenj is right.

A light, nondestructive cooking actually increases the nutritional content of many vegetables. The "tougher" dark greens, such as mature kale, are basically indigestible raw. You can eat them if you have good teeth, but they're just roughage. Cooking breaks them down a little and makes more nutrients accessible to the human digestive system.

Cooking also increases the nutritional content of wheat, by making more of the carbohydrates digestible to humans. Remember "low carb bread?" It was baked at a lower temperature, which meant fewer digestible carbs and more fiber. (Which in that case was a good thing.)

Old 02-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi a relative of mine told me if a planted carrot is brought out of the ground and then replanted later after being in the refrigerator for a while it will grow again. If it is cooked first and put in the ground it will not grow so something in it has died.

This is the same for some other things such as turnips beets etc. I must say that a well respected source I trust says we should use some cooked food and some raw food, just in case that helps clear any confusion about whether it is O.K. to use cooked food. Some foods such as kidney beans should never be eaten raw because it is said that there is a toxin that is produced by the sprout of it according to a government site I read some time ago. Have a nice day!

Closed Thread