It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
(male)

ihatemyskin HB User
Damages from "living the college life"

For starters, in HS I got a decent nutrition (sometimes skipped breakfast, greasy lunch (fries, fried chicken, &/or egg rolls), but I always had a balanced dinner because I ate with my parents. I also had a severe drinking problem - I would drink til I threw up or passed out. I also have been a pretty heavy smoker for about 7 years now.

After reading about effects of certain nutritional deficiencies (especially B12) I really started worrying about how I've treated my body, particularily my eating habbits in college.

I have add and take adderall which makes me not eat much. In college I saw this as a good thing becuase less eating means less grocery shopping and more $. My typical meals throughout the day would one to three of the following:
Chili ramen
Pasta with butter (sometimes tomato sauce)
Macaroni and cheese
Rice and butter
Hot dogs (the cheapest)

VERY rarely would I buy: (maybe every other month lasting a week)
Sandwich stuff (turkey, lettuce, tomato, white bread)
Hamburger stuff (same stuff as above)
Frozen pizza
Fast food

This lifestyle lasted 4 1/2 years. I've been trying to be more conscious of my body and I think something is wrong. Ive had bad skin since HS (I recently noticed the areas between muscles and around/in spinal cord dents are filled with something (bumpy/webby/hard unless rubbed) it makes my muscles move as one vs individual causing my facial expression to look off), I also have frequent very minor nerve pinches all day, constantly tired, anxiety, irritability, lack of intersest in things, and I could go on...

If nutrition is the cause to any of these symptoms, how long after you start eating healthy should they change? Are any irreversible? Also, how does malnutrition work exactly? Like how long after u stop eating healthy will u experience symptoms? What is going on inside your body once u run out - is "material" really taken away from other organs? How long is considered a severe case of being malnurited? What draws the line between restoring your body yourself through diet vs seeking medical treatment/supplements?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
(male)

JM26 HB User
Re: Damages from "living the college life"

I wonder a lot about this also, about how much damage junk food can do to the body over a long period of time. I have the same problems you described, constant fatigue, brain fog, lethargy, anxiety and depression. When I was younger I also ate lots of junk food for several years. Now it seems like my body can't produce enough energy to function correctly.

Closed Thread

Tags
health, malnutrition, poor diet