It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
(male)

yilduz HB User
Looking for info on Pediasure

A friend of mine has an eating disorder that she acknowledges, but seems unable to beat. She eats very little, and what she does eat is pretty much just soup broth (the kind where you put the cube in water), occasionally lettuce or spinach, sometimes broccoli, but she gets most of her calories and stuff from Pediasure. She's probably even a bit underweight, but she's concerned about gaining weight, and having a general "unclean", "icky", or "unpretty" feeling inside after eating. The biggest part of the issue is the way she feels inside, though.

I'm trying to do some research on pediasure so I can possibly find some real food alternatives that she might be willing to try. The problem is I'm having a hard time finding information about pediasure, as far as what's really in it and what it does to her body. Part of me wants to find something wrong with it so I can make the food seem more appealing, but part of me is afraid it won't make the food more appealing and she'll just stop using the pediasure and get almost nothing she needs. In any case, can anyone help me out?

Old 11-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Looking for info on Pediasure

Well, the first question is, does she have anorexia nervosa, or does she have an actual digestive disorder? The two require very different treatments.

Pediasure is not meant to be a sole source of food, but, until she can get the appropriate treatment and begin to eat again, it's much better than nothing.

You can find the ingredients and nutrition information from the manufacturer. Aside from being high in sugar, it's not bad. It does have a lot of vitamins and minerals.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
(male)

yilduz HB User
Re: Looking for info on Pediasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Well, the first question is, does she have anorexia nervosa, or does she have an actual digestive disorder? The two require very different treatments.
The former. Sorry if this is in the wrong board, it seemed like the correct choice.

Quote:
Pediasure is not meant to be a sole source of food, but, until she can get the appropriate treatment and begin to eat again, it's much better than nothing.

You can find the ingredients and nutrition information from the manufacturer. Aside from being high in sugar, it's not bad. It does have a lot of vitamins and minerals.
Well, I guess it's good that it's not bad, because she has been using it as a main source of "food" for a long time now... but I'm trying to find a way to help her get onto real food instead. A few minutes ago, I actually did manage to find nutrition facts and ingredients on their website. Kind of a weird way to get there, but I got there. Now it's just time to find real food alternatives.

Thank you.

Closed Thread