It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
(female)

jsjs5 HB User
Vitamin D test - confused

I recently visited a new pcp regarding some symptoms i've been dealing with for a long while. My pcp had me get blood work done for various tests including what I thought was a test for vitamin d deficiency test. While waiting for my results I looked further into this and realized that my symptoms seem to align with this and thought for sure my results would come back low. I got my results today and the nurse said that everything was good. I asked her what my level was and she said it was 36, 18-78 being normal. Looking into this further I realized that my dr ordered the 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin d test and i've read in various places on the internet that this test is not correct for testing vitamin deficiency. Does anyone know what these numbers mean and also if I should ask my dr for the other vitamin d test or if this one came out "normal" then the other should be normal as well? Any feedback would be awesome. Thanks! This is all very confusing.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User
Re: Vitamin D test - confused

The 25-hydroxy vitamin D test, which is what you indicate you had, is the most accurate test for Vitamin D levels. The normal range being 30 to 74, so you are within that range. If you wanted to bump up your numbers a bit I don't think it would hurt to take a vitamin D-3 supplement or . . . try to get more noon day sun on your skin.

Jen

Last edited by jenj770; 01-26-2012 at 04:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
(female)

jsjs5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
The 25-hydroxy vitamin D test, which is what you indicate you had, is the most accurate test for Vitamin D levels. The normal range being 30 to 74, so you are within that range. If you wanted to bump up your numbers a bit I don't think it would hurt to take a vitamin D-3 supplement or . . . try to get more noon day sun on your skin.

Jen
Hi Jen,

Thanks so much for the reply. The test my dr gave me was the 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin d and i was reading online that it is different than the 25-hydroxy vitamin d test and the later was the correct one like you said. Is there no difference?

Old 01-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User

Hi,

You are correct. I thought you were referring to the test I mentioned but the one you had is, indeed, different. Yes, I would try to have the 25 hydroxy test done.

Sorry for the misinformation

Best, Jen

Old 02-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
(female)

jsjs5 HB User

I thought I would post a follow-up. My first dr did indeed give me the wrong test. I am seeing a new dr who is wonderful and got more bloodwork done including the correct d test to test for deficiency. I got my results back today and my level as at a 6! So glad I followed through and saw someone else. Its hard to believe that this could cause so many problems, but after reading some posts on the board it makes complete sense now. Now I'm wondering how long it should take to see some improvement, but since I'm at a 6 I figure it will probably take a while.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Wow!! A 6 is extremely low. Mine was 17 and they thought that was bad! I was told they like it above 50, but I doubt I'll ever get there. It took me months to get to 20 after I started my supplements. So, I think it does take time. I think my level is low because I'm lactose intolerant and I drink lactose free milk. This milk does not have as much Vitamin D and Calcium as regular milk. Also, I stay inside a lot and don't get much sun as I suffer from chronic pain. Well, make sure you take your supplements faithfully, and get some sun if you can!...janiee

Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
(female)

jsjs5 HB User

Hi Janiee,

Were you able to get your d level up? Mine got up into the 30s and then I was told to do 1000 iu daily. Unfortunately that wasn't enough because I just had mine tested and back down to 17....ugh. Amy suggestions on a good maintenance amount?

Last edited by jsjs5; 06-27-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:33 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

If 1000iu didn't maintain it then you can go up, try 2000iu a day once your levels get back up again, or just try and get a bit more sun exposure on your skin. You don't need a lot of sun, you don't need to bake yourself or anything but depending on the conditions where you live, it may be as little as 5 mins or 20 mins at a time on a regular basis and vit d comes up very quickly with a bit of sun exposure

Old 07-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #9
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User

I had gotten a 29 several years ago (below 30 is judged insufficient) so I took 1000 IU three times a week for several months and get to only a 37...low normal.
Since the top of normal is 100, I judged I could use a little more as a buffer, so I have been taking 2,000 units 3 times a week for over a year.
Checked last set of blood results and they didn't run Vitamin D.

Gotta remember to have it checked next time.

Funny how a vitamin that they used to warn everyone about overdosing with seems now to be so frequently deficient.

Reply Reply