It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
(male)

Craig 1892 HB User
Vit D deficient

Hey guys -

Sorry to start a new thread on Vitamin D deficiency. I don't want to hijack anybody elses questions.

A quick write up on my story :

I am 26 years old. Male. For the past 2 years I have been feeling what can only be described as 'Spaced out'. Constantly! (And I mean constant. 24/7. No relief at all. This feeling intensifies when I do anything strenuous) This making every day tasks very difficult. Work, exercise, even talking to people. I have had what seems like everything checked out (countless bloods, MRI, MRA, ECG...been told "It's just anxiety"...even "There's nothing wrong with you!") - Everything coming back as normal. We then found that my B12 was abit low. Had the loading dose injections for that which didn't change my 'Spaced out/Light headedness' feeling at all. So after several more months of this hell I have now just found out that I am Vitamin D deficient.

I have been told to take supplements (cholecalciferol - 1000 IU per day) and to get some natural sunlight...

Basically what I am looking for is for somebody to tell me they have experienced this themselves and....please somebody say this...they feel better or are feeling improvements due to the extra Vitamin D intake?

So I don't know if the low Vit D is the cause of why I feel so horrible or not. But this is the latest thing for me to try and work on and and I am hoping to God that I see some improvements and can then continue with my life.

Thankyou for reading this and for any advice etc. It is much appreciated.

Craig.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Vit D deficient

Hey Craig,

Of course, try to get your D level up and see if your symptoms improve but if this isn't just a deficient D problem you might also come over to the Lyme Board here for info. about Lyme Disease. Lyme can be spread by vectors other than ticks - biting flies, gnats, etc. . . Many people have found they have Lyme Disease only after going down many wrong roads and only to end up with chronic, late-stage LD because it was not treated earlier. I hope you don't have LD and that increasing your Vitamin D intake will solve your problem; if not, this might be something to rule out as well.

All the best,

Jen

Old 05-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
(female)

hizzy HB User

hi, craig. i'm a 31-year-old female, and i also found out i am vitD deficient after feeling completely wiped out mentally and physically for 4 months...i had numerous negative tests for many, many other things and even saw a psychiatrist because my friends and family started to suggest that it was all in my head. turned out my vitD was 19. i took 1000 IU of vitD3 and got some extra sun for 3 months, and then had my level rechecked. it came up by 6 points to 25. i am feeling better, but still not myself yet...some weeks are better than others and i feel 85-90% like myself. other weeks, i feel tired, foggy-brained like you described, and have some mild muscle weakness. how i feel appears to be impacted by my stress level, how busy i've been, and my hormonal cycle (something you luckily don't have to worry about as a guy!). but overall, those 6 little points have REALLY improved how well my brain is working...the physical symptoms of the deficiency are still tough sometimes. my PCP said that improving by 6 points in 3 months if very good progress. i am now at a level of 25, which is half-way to the bottom of the ideal range (50-80). my PCP told me to continue with 1000-2000 IU daily because anything more can be jarring to your system and the balance of other vitamins and minerals that vitD impacts (calcium, magnesium, iron). she said she would like to see me get up to the ideal range within a year of starting the supplement. i get my level checked again at the end of july, and i'm hoping to be feeling much better by then! hope you're starting to feel better, too!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

bbroke HB Userbbroke HB User

My son was given two injections of 750000 iu and his calcium serum jumped to 10.1 (upper limit)

Last edited by Administrator; 10-01-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

bbroke HB Userbbroke HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 1892 View Post
Hey guys -

Sorry to start a new thread on Vitamin D deficiency. I don't want to hijack anybody elses questions.

A quick write up on my story :

I am 26 years old. Male. For the past 2 years I have been feeling what can only be described as 'Spaced out'. Constantly! (And I mean constant. 24/7. No relief at all. This feeling intensifies when I do anything strenuous) This making every day tasks very difficult. Work, exercise, even talking to people. I have had what seems like everything checked out (countless bloods, MRI, MRA, ECG...been told "It's just anxiety"...even "There's nothing wrong with you!") - Everything coming back as normal. We then found that my B12 was abit low. Had the loading dose injections for that which didn't change my 'Spaced out/Light headedness' feeling at all. So after several more months of this hell I have now just found out that I am Vitamin D deficient.

I have been told to take supplements (cholecalciferol - 1000 IU per day) and to get some natural sunlight...

Basically what I am looking for is for somebody to tell me they have experienced this themselves and....please somebody say this...they feel better or are feeling improvements due to the extra Vitamin D intake?

So I don't know if the low Vit D is the cause of why I feel so horrible or not. But this is the latest thing for me to try and work on and and I am hoping to God that I see some improvements and can then continue with my life.

Thankyou for reading this and for any advice etc. It is much appreciated.

Craig.
Hey craig, my son has exactly what you say. Two years back he felt numbness in one hand. He was 26 at that time. I took him to stroke expert and there was nothing wrong with his MRI etc. Yes his lipid profile was high and he was moderate smoker, the residual effect of this episode is light headedness. Specially when heavy workload. Watching monitor, taking phone calls, thinking, calculating figures, mental work. OR after lunch at work place (not after dinner at home) . Yes his Vit D was 12 ng /ml. He was given two shots of 750000 iu of D3 his level came up to 34 calcium raised to upper boundry. But his dizzy problem not solved, though reduced as he started healthy life style. Ie low fat,walking after dinner. Dr says its anxiety. What I feel that when brain activity is high more blood is required. For any reason your vascular system lack the capacity to carry blood to brain and dizzy condition. My advise to you (also to my son) is not to give importance to this problem. BUT EXERSISE SLEEP RELAXATION is not to be ignored. Two years down the road he has lost nothing in profession. Is your profession demanding excessive mental attention. My prayers for good health. Take care.bb

Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
(female)

Tamara733 HB User

Hi Craig,

Feel your pain... my vitamin D was "non existant". I could have slept for 10 hours and still felt exhausted. I zone out easier than my cell phone service and just feel overall blah.

I've been taking 2000 IU for about two years.. it was doing much better until I quit smoking - and even though my Vitamin D was bumped up another 1000 IU (now taking 3000) my body doesn't seem to want to retain it - so now I'm back to square one.

I'm having thyroid issues so I think that's why mine is all messed up... but I DID feel a huge improvement the first time I was diagnosed with low vitamin D - and started taking the supplements.

I would suggest taking 2000 IU though... my doc says everyone should take that much especially during winter months (at least here in Canada, where we only get 4 months of nice sunny weather) - but you should ask your own doc to see what is best for you.

Good luck and hope you feel better

Last edited by Tamara733; 03-19-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Reply Reply