It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

bbroke HB Userbbroke HB User
low vitamin d but calcium normal

My D level is 12.2, ca level is 9.5. Please advise how should I go ahead to correct D level but side by side not to jump maximum level of ca to avoid ca poisoning. appreciate you reply

Last edited by bbroke; 05-10-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: make it simple to get replies

Old 05-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
(female)

hizzy HB User
Re: low vitamin d but calcium normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassaniobroke View Post
My D level is 12.2, ca level is 9.5. Please advise how should I go ahead to correct D level but side by side not to jump maximum level of ca to avoid ca poisoning. appreciate you reply
hi. my vitamin D level was low with slightly high levels of serum calcium (10.2 to 10.3 - my parathyroid is normal). my doctor has me taking vit D3, calcium, and magnesium, and she is monitoring both vitamin D (1,25 levels) and serum calcium on a regular basis. from what my doctor has told me, your level of 9.5 is perfect as calcium really likes to be in a fine balance between 9.0 and 10.0. since taking vitD3, my calcium level has actually fallen to this perfect range between 9.0 and 10.0...i attribute this to now having more of the vitD my body needs to get the calcium out of my blood stream and where it needs to go in my body. from what i understand, if anything when supplementing with vitD3, you have to make sure your calcium level doesn't go too LOW, which is generally why it is advised to take calcium supplements with vitD. i would make sure your doctor monitors both levels on a regular basis, and if your calcium gets out of whack, ask for your PTH to be checked as well.

Last edited by hizzy; 05-12-2012 at 08:34 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to hizzy:
bbroke (05-13-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to hizzy For This Useful Post:
bbroke (05-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

bbroke HB Userbbroke HB User
Re: low vitamin d but calcium normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzy View Post
hi. my vitamin D level was low with slightly high levels of serum calcium (10.2 to 10.3 - my parathyroid is normal). my doctor has me taking vit D3, calcium, and magnesium, and she is monitoring both vitamin D (1,25 levels) and serum calcium on a regular basis. from what my doctor has told me, your level of 9.5 is perfect as calcium really likes to be in a fine balance between 9.0 and 10.0. since taking vitD3, my calcium level has actually fallen to this perfect range between 9.0 and 10.0...i attribute this to now having more of the vitD my body needs to get the calcium out of my blood stream and where it needs to go in my body. from what i understand, if anything when supplementing with vitD3, you have to make sure your calcium level doesn't go too LOW, which is generally why it is advised to take calcium supplements with vitD. i would make sure your doctor monitors both levels on a regular basis, and if your calcium gets out of whack, ask for your PTH to be checked as well.
Hizzy thanks for your input. It appears that 10000 iu (suppose) given to different people will have different amount of increase in ng/ml of d3, calcium, magnisium (may go down) thyroid secretions also play part in this whole process.
Some intresting facts: I and my son both have 12 ng/ml and my wife has 24 ng/ml. (With out supplement) we both have weak immune response to viruses compared to my wife.
when my son took 2 injections of d3 of 750k each his ca went up from 9.5 to 10.2
Wishing you the best.

Closed Thread

Tags
calcium levels, vitamin d deficiency