HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Nutritional Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/nutritional-disorders/)
-   -   vitamin d3 NOT from lanolin - what brands worked for you?? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/nutritional-disorders/900658-vitamin-d3-not-lanolin-what-brands-worked-you.html)

hizzy 05-12-2012 09:41 PM

vitamin d3 NOT from lanolin - what brands worked for you??

hi, everyone. i have been taking cheap nature made brand of vitamin D3 to correct a vitD deficiency, but have been reading recently that some people have had flu-like symptoms and more joint and muscle aches from taking D3 synthesized from lanolin (as nature made brand is). i have had this happen recurrently while taking D3, and it seems to have increased since i bought a new bottle of nature made D3 a few weeks ago. anyone else have this kind of reaction when taking D3 from lanolin? or could it just be the additives? what's a good brand of vitD3 that is synthesized from fish oil? i'm reading good reviews of solgar brand on some shopping websites, but i never really trust those reviews since they could be people paid to post. thanks!

jenj770 05-13-2012 04:19 AM

Re: vitamin d3 NOT from lanolin - what brands worked for you??

Solgar is one of the better vitamin companies with stricter controls. You could also research Biotics Research Bio D-Mulsion Forte. This emulsified D3 is an excellent product that I have been taking for many years.

hizzy 05-13-2012 07:05 AM

thanks, jen. solgar brand is available at the HFS around the corner from my house, so i will check that out and also biotics research.

this is off-topic from my original post, but i noticed that you have commented often on posts related to vitD, so i'm wondering if you might be knowledgeable about vit D creating an iron deficiency? i take calcium citrate and magnesium glycinate with my vit D, and i'm reading that calcium competes for absorption with iron...so, if you're supplementing vit D and cal, it can create an iron deficiency. up until a couple of months ago, i ate a vegetarian diet, but in trying to get as many nutrients as possible from my diet rather than supplements, i have added meat back into my diet a few times a week. i notice that over the past couple of weeks, i am feeling very fatigued (even though my recent vit D labs show that my level is improving -- still deficient, but improving). i notice the color in my face is more pale than usual, and the inside of my lower eyelids are quite white with just a bit of light pink around the edges. have you heard of vit D and calcium supplementation affecting iron absorption? my doctor is really doing her best to give me the medical advice she can, but doctors' knowledge is mostly about pharmaceuticals, not nutrition. the last time my iron was checked in november, it was normal, but i have been supplementing vit D and calcium since january. just wondering if you might know something about that since you seem to be so wise about vit D. :) thanks!

jenj770 05-13-2012 09:19 AM

hizzy,

I don't think I have the kind of in depth information you seek. My understanding is that calcium may affect iron absorption but, it seems, only a very low effect at that. From what you describe, it sounds like you may have an iron deficiency but whether it is due to your supplements or something else may be moot. I think it would depend on how much calcium and such you are taking. Personally, I think many people take too much calcium (and not enough magnesium). Too much calcium can overload the kidneys and cause heart and other problems. But why not have your ferritin levels checked. If you're low, Floradix is a very safe, gentle product that you can purchase at a HFS.

All the best with this,

Jen

Jenny Louise 09-25-2012 02:58 AM

I also react to lanolin based D3 with joint pain. And am about to revert to Solgar again! Some of us obviously need fish oil.

KettleBellChick 09-25-2012 11:10 AM

I like Rainbow Light.