HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Nutritional Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/nutritional-disorders/)
-   -   Is it possible i have a b12 deficiency? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/nutritional-disorders/921890-possible-i-have-b12-deficiency.html)

xjrockx 10-06-2012 05:42 PM

Is it possible i have a b12 deficiency?

I have been dealing with chronic fatigue,brain fog,stomach issues,lack of motivation,shortness of breath,depression for about 2.5 years now. i recently got a test for b12 deficiency and had a level of 314 which i was told was normal. looking around online i see people saying you can have symptoms in the lower end of the normal range and was wondering if a b12 deficiency could be the cause of my symptoms. i have been tested for numerous other things like hypothyroidism,low testosterone,diabetes and all tests have come back negative.

ladybud 10-06-2012 10:35 PM

Re: Is it possible i have a b12 deficiency?

It is possible that some of your symptoms are B 12 related. I would get some b12sublingual tablets and take 1000 mcg daily for a month and see how you feel. If better I would stay on it. If no better, get another B 12 measurement and see if it came up substantially. If it doesn't rise with the sublingual (under tongue), you may need B12 by IM injection monthly to keep levels up.

xjrockx 10-23-2012 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=ladybud;5068367]It is possible that some of your symptoms are B 12 related. I would get some b12sublingual tablets and take 1000 mcg daily for a month and see how you feel. If better I would stay on it. If no better, get another B 12 measurement and see if it came up substantially. If it doesn't rise with the sublingual (under tongue), you may need B12 by IM injection monthly to keep levels up.[/QUOTE]

Thank you i will definitely try that!! One more question though. i started taking the b12 recently and sometimes it makes the fatigue even worse. like a hour after i take it i want to go straight to sleep. is this a normal side effect that eventually goes away??

ladybud 10-24-2012 01:33 PM

Truly do not know. You might try taking it at bedtime!

eriro 11-19-2012 04:32 PM

Have you been checked for sleep apnea? Poor sleep quality can give you all of those symptoms.

Unfortunately the more "mild" (as if you could call it that!) symptoms of B12 deficiency are terribly nonspecific, so if your b12 levels are normal and you don't have the more severe, specific symptoms, I would also explore other avenues. Of course, taking extra can't really hurt you, so I'd keep it up.

I would also try 5-htp, fish oil (if you ever go to Costco, the Kirkland Signature enteric-coated variety, in the blue bottle, is pretty high quality) and higher-dose vitamin D supplements (like 2000 iu - 500% of the RDV) for a gentle mood boost and general brain-related benefits.

Unless you are already pretty athletic, I would also try to get a bit more exercise and sunlight - it doesn't take much, an extra 10-20 min per day of either one will give anyone huge rewards in energy and mood benefits. (I get the exact symptoms your describing whenever I don't exercise for a couple days.) Don't overdo it or make any daunting commitments - just take walks or something else mildly active for a few weeks and see how you feel, and get outside and/or sit by a window for a bit whenever the weather is nice.

Lastly, if you have access to a respectable clinic and aren't super freaked-out by it, I would try acupuncture. It works wonders for mood and energy levels for a lot of people I know, and is demonstrably good for you. Although there is debate about whether using Chinese meridians has any benefit compared to random needle placement, acupuncture currently has better outcomes than Western medicine in treating many difficult conditions. Having been basically forced to try it by my mom, I can attest that it is surprisingly effective when I am having muscle spasms or mood problems, even if its not my first choice of therapy because it requires you to sit still in a dim room for half an hour (I always get *so* squirmy).

Let us know how things are going!

ladybud 11-23-2012 09:31 AM

I agree with previous poster that sleep apnea should be checked out, as that could cause many of your symptoms. I assume you have been checked for the usual causes of fatigue, especially anemia? You might also check into having an ANA test for lupus, as that can cause chronic fatigue, brain fog, and many other symptoms, some on your list.