It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
(male)

Kennyt13 HB User
Grossly skinny male, what is wrong with me?

I've always been extremely thin, nearly as thin as one can be and still function, I assume. I'm 5'11" and 135 pounds. Because of my low weight and sort-of tallness, my extremities look like bones, no flesh at all. My biceps are the sames of most guy's forearms, the part of my legs right above my ankles the size of men's wrists. I'm in my early 20's and am tired of this. Is there anything wrong with me or ANYTHING I can do to gain weight? I feel like it's hopeless. This really impacts my social and romantic life...I am too concerned and afraid to talk to people at school, especially girls, because I feel like I look so weird. I am desperate..

Last edited by Administrator; 10-26-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
(female)

Tamara733 HB User
Re: Grossly skinny male, what is wrong with me?

You have a high metabolism I wouldn't worry about it as long as you eat a balanced diet, and get daily exercise - then you are who you are, and if people don't like that (especially the ladies) they can jump off a bridge!

People who only care about looks arent' worth it - but remember, what one woman may hate, another one may LOVE. Just be yourself and you'll attract REAL friends - and those are the ones that matter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

it could just be your bone structure how some people are large boned and other medium boned and other small boned
do you work out? I think working out with weights might help you add some of the "meat" to your bones, that I think you want

Old 03-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I am inclined to think you may have a treatable hormonal or malabsorption problem. Excess thyroid can cause inability to gain weight as well as low testosterone. Malabsorption can result in poor weight gain and nutritional disorders. There are several types but gluten intolerance is a common one. You can get tests for these and I would pursue that.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
pendulum (03-25-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

It's worth considering that your diet is inadequate, especially since you made no indication of the amount or what kind of food you currently consume. Just as people who are obese underestimate the amount of food they consume, folks who are underweight will often overestimate the amount they eat. Those who say they "eat all the time" often do nothing of the kind. Or they eat foods that are too low in calories, or lack protein, etc.

I would suggest a stop at the doctor's for a check, and then maybe a trip or two to a nutritionist. With a little effort, I am sure you can make some gains.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
(female)

VA_girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
I am inclined to think you may have a treatable hormonal or malabsorption problem. Excess thyroid can cause inability to gain weight as well as low testosterone. Malabsorption can result in poor weight gain and nutritional disorders. There are several types but gluten intolerance is a common one. You can get tests for these and I would pursue that.
I was going to suggest thyroid and gluten too! Also the other comment about your perception about your eating a lot when you are not could be correct also. Eat more, even if you don't feel like it, eat more, especially protein and healthy fats! Really important to get things like olive oil and butter, fats help your body absorb nutrition. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User

I guess Kenny went away.
But whenever a very young guy complains about being skinny I always recommend weight training to put on some muscle mass.
Muscle with almost no fat can be so rewarding if you are willing to put in the work.

It worked for me. At 13 I was over 6 feet tall and weighed 120 pounds. I ordered weights for the basement when I turned 15 and never looked back.

Now, many decade later I wish I could have some of that teenage metabolism back.

Last edited by Voxx976; 07-18-2013 at 07:06 AM.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
(male)

Toenail10 HB User

I am glad this worked for you Voxx, but I could only put minimal amount of muscle on too. I do know what he says about eating as much and what ever you want and no change. He didn't mention that sometimes not eating leads to problems as your body basically doesn't have fuel put aside. I used to get fainting spells, cold sweat, weakness and I would know that I have to eat something fast. Always very hungry in the morning.
That was then, now 47 and lack of body fat, energy (since an accident) is a problem. So it would be nice to be able to "put some meat on" for the skinny people. (women included)
PS: don't forget you can't eat as much as you want, you can only eat as much as your body is able to process.

Last edited by Toenail10; 10-02-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Reply Reply