It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nutritional Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
(female)

Stump3d HB User
Question Can't eat certain foods

I want to start eating healthy but whenever I eat fruits such as Apples, Peaches, Plum and Pears. I get itchy inner ear, mouth, tongue and palette. I also get naseau and stomach aches from eating Bananas and Grapes.

Some foods I just don't eat are eggs haven't had them for a couple years my stomach just doesn't agree with them. I have never had asparagus, artichoke and Brussels sprouts. It wasn't introduced to them as a child and I just haven't prepared them on my own, I might in the future I also get this way after drinking milk. What I have done is stayed away from these foods.

I need an alternative that won't give me these reactions I do take vitamins, but they are quite expensive since I am a student. I take vitamins for bone health such as Glucosamine with MSM, Celadrin and vitamin D3 to prevent bone problems in the future. My mother has Arthritis and I suffer from joint pain. I also take vitamin C and a multivitamin.
I am a 20 year old female and want to have a better eat habits to live a longer a healthier life. I have looked into veganism and vegetrianism. I feel I won't be able to take part in these types of lifestyles since I have an oral allergy to most of the foods that I would need to consume.

I want to consider using supplements Like Vega and Vegegreens to increase my fruit and vegetable consumption. I'm not sure what other things I could eat to balance all the other food groups. Do I still eat salads with each meal on top of consuming these products if I want to become a Vegetarian or Pescetarianism or just eat a more balanced diet.

I want to be drug free when I'm older so The best way to do that is to prevent.
All I take right now in terms of pharmaceutical drugs is an oral contraceptive.

Can anyone relate?

Last edited by Stump3d; 07-02-2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: needed to add something in

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Can't eat certain foods

I can, as I have intolerance to quite a few foods. If you are 20 and having joint pains frequently, I would wonder if you are also gluten intolerant. I cannot eat gluten, all dairy, anything with yeast, like gluten free bread. It is difficult, but can be done with trial and patience. You might consider getting a delayed sensitivity food allergy panel done, for some objective evidence of what you can eat safely. You need to try new things, one at a time, to see your reaction. You can also keep a food diary to help you figure out what you tolerate and do not. The delayed food sensitivity tests IGG, not IGE, which is what most allergists test, so be careful to get the right ones done.
It is fun to explore new foods, and realize there is a whole bunch of goodies you may not be used to but can like and include in your diet. You might benefit from talking to a dietician also to get ideas for substituting other milks than cows milk, egg substitute for baking, alternative grains, fruits and veges. Some of the health food stores employ people very knowlegable about foods, and they seem eager to help people with diet issues. Good luck, and give yourself time to explore with an open mind.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
(female)

CR1977 HB User

I would hesitate to restrict more foods in effort to eat healthy, a well balanced diet is critical. Instead, I would look into why you are having issues with certain foods. Seems there may be an underlying condition and if left untreated you may find yourself having to cut out more and more foods to manage symptoms. I can soooo relate to your story!!! The joint pain and food allergies and intolerances got worse and worse over the past several years. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a few months ago. When left untreated you can develop food allergies (typically reversible), joint pain, muscle aches, fatigue, and other autoimmune diseases including arthritis. (this disease is genetic, perhaps push your mom to get tested too). Before I was diagnosed I tried a gluten free diet and it helped. Eating 'truly gluten free' is difficult, time consuming, & can be pricey so i abandoned the diet after 4 mos. My health deteriorated rapidly after that, which then led to Celiac diagnosis. I would get blood tests for Celiac, its much more strict diet and life-threatening if not properly diagnosed & controlled. You have to be eating gluten in order for the test to be accurate. If comes back negative, THEN you could try a gluten-free diet on your own to see if an intolerance is causing your issues. I would also get the IGG blood test to check for delayed allergies and standard skin test. Please don't self diagnose or self medicate, with diet or otherwise. I did & I'm living proof that it can do more harm than good. Hope this helps & don't stop until you find a doc who will listen, test, and give you answers!!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-10-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I agree completely that blood tests for celiac disease, caused by gluten intolerance, should be done. Sometimes an endoscopy needs to be done with biopsy to know for sure. Anemia and vitamin, iron deficiency are clues to possible celiac disease.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
(female)

wilsongrace1111 HB User

Yes, you have to eat salad and green vegetables.leaf vegetables having low in calorie low in fat high in protein and high in iron and calcium.It is very helpful for you.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
(female)

mayamina HB User

Using food supplements is a right decision. They can fill in the gaps and provide you with necessary vitamins and minerals you don't get through food.

Reply Reply

Tags
allergic reaction, vitamins