It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 04:45 PM   #1
(female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User
Question Cortisol Testing

I am in school to become a teacher and had to do a paper on stress. While researching, I found that stress causes raised levels of cortisol in the blood, and a side effect is obesity. I also have psoriasis associated with stress and cortisol. I am going to the doctor next Monday to have my levels tested. I am wondering if anyone has had this done and if it was enlightening. I was listening to Dr. Phil on the radio and one of his weight loss challengers had a cortisol problem where he would lose weight in the beginning of whatever plan he was on, then eventually would start gaining again w/o a change in his plan. I think this is my problem. I was going to Curves for 6 months FAITHFULLY and was watching what I was eating. In the beginning, I did FANTASTIC and was so motivated. Then at one of my weigh-ins I found that I had gained 12 lbs. and an inch and a half everywhere. So I got depressed and eventually quit. I am 5'5 and almost 270. I am depressed much of the time and want so bad to be a different person. I went to the dr. for work related issues and saw in his notes "Nicole is a 26 year old female with morbid Obesity." I was so ashamed to be there, and wanted to run away. It's depressing to know you are fat, but its worse to see that someone wrote it down.

So anyway, back to the cortisol testing....any info would be great!

Old 12-09-2003, 06:23 PM   #2
(female)

giddyup715 HB User
Re: Cortisol Testing

Good luck and let me know how the results turn out. I did not know that you could get those levels tested. Sounds like a good idea to me.
I know how you feel about seeing it is writing. There is a stepladder at work with
a label on it. It says Warning! Not intended for use for weight over 225#.
Yikes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 06:40 PM   #3
(female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User

They do the test with your saliva at first. Then they can also do a 24 hour urine test. There are a ton of websites that tell about them. Thanks. I'll keep ya posted.

Old 12-10-2003, 08:59 AM   #4

beebop_71 HB User

There is a website that I found that you can order a testing kit from and do it yourself.

Old 12-12-2003, 03:45 AM   #5

peaches123 HB User

I went to the dr. for work related issues and saw in his notes "Nicole is a 26 year old female with morbid Obesity." I was so ashamed to be there, and wanted to run away. It's depressing to know you are fat, but its worse to see that someone wrote it down.

So anyway, back to the cortisol testing....any info would be great!

Hi!! I am Hypo.. and stressed... and don't ya just hate the word MORBID OBESITY??? Like I am really happy about being fat?? yea right? Morbid... what a downer... such a depressing word..How about Vertically challenged??? Im not to fat I am just 3 feet to short! Gosh I know exactly how you feel. My Dr is SO Skinny.. she says eat less move more... duh!! why didn't I think of that?? Isn't it funny they think our brains and our feelings were swallowed up by the fat?
Cortisol is raised with stress... then why doesnt someone give us something to keep the stress level down?? Xanax for antianxiety?? Why do they give us speed to freak us out and send our brains a spinning and then we get more stressed because we can't keep up withourselves... whew!!

Old 12-14-2003, 02:04 PM   #6

becky1954 HB User

My cardiologist is sending me to have my cortisol checked.I go in on one day then that night at 11:00 I am supposed to take 8 pills he gave me a script for then go in the next day to check it again.I think something is up b/c I gained 7 lbs in 2 wks.I don't know how that is possible.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:35 AM   #7

proudarmywife96 HB User
Post Re: Cortisol Testing

Wow it is so nice to know some one else is in the same boat as I am. I can totally relate to the trying a new diet and it works great for a couple of weeks then it does the opposite of what it is suppose to. I worked out at the gym for 4 months going for 2-3 hrs a day and gained 15 lbs and 4 inches. It wasn't fair. My doctor finally ran some tests (several 24 hr urine tests, blood tests, dexo...supression test and just recently the saliva test, CAT scans, etc) but is still undecided on how it is affecting my weight issue. My tests keep coming back all over the chart. One day my levels will be off the chart then next normal but the levels don't seem to correspond to actual stress in my life. I am about at my witts end. I am 5'6 and weigh in at 215 I too am tired of seeing them put the obesity "clause" on my medical charts! If anyone can offer any suggestions I would love to hear them!
Thanks!

Old 08-26-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
(female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User

There is a product called Cortislim that might work for you. It didn't work for me, but I seem to always be in the bottom 7% that products don't work for. If you buy a bottle, you get one free. I bought 2 and got 2 free, but didn't work. Now we are trying to have a baby, so I think I'll try them after I'm done nursing. Oh yeah, there is a 60 day moneyback guarantee, but I didn't use it. I forgot to send it back and now it's too late. Good luck and I hope everything works out. I also am tired of seeing "obese" on my medical charts.
The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost

Closed Thread