It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2005, 10:18 PM   #1
(female)

kyethra HB User
weight and depression meds

I was always depressed and gaining weight because I like to eat when I am unhappy- comfort food. Then when I was a teenager I was put on zoloft and it was so amazing- I wasn't depressed anymore and I stopped putting on weight. After that I would notice that the times I gained weight I was either adapting to a new situation-- went off to college, or depressed (got off the meds- it was a mistake).

In February I started on 60mg of cymbalta for my fibro and at that point I had my depression controlled by 200mg of wellbutrin.

I was too happy. I had lost 15 pounds and was doing well, but then I had a a really bad flare up started eating poorly again and then by the time the flare up was under control, I was unusually mellow and so forth after the cymbalta had kicked in. And instead of really caring about losing the weight I figured it wasn't anything to stress out over and my bad habits continued and I gained the 15 pounds back. Now, a couple of weeks ago my wellbutrin was lowered to 150mg and these past couple of days I have been feeling more like myself. I noticed that my clothes from last summer didn't fit and it upset me and I did care. I cared enough to actually schedule an apointment with the nutritionist and start on some of those good habits again. This is not something I had done in months.

So is the reason that some people gain weight on depression meds because the meds work too well?

I think all of this has made me realise how important it is to always be thinking about and caring about eating habits and so forth (well ok, not always, but pretty frequently).

Its sort of tricky. I don't know if I need to be on less medication- I'll let the doctors give me their opinions first- because I am afraid I will get depressed and gain weight. But at the same time now I don't want to be overmedicated because then I won't care enough and I will gain weight.

And gaining weight is not healthy. At this time I am five foot eight and 275 pounds and I am worried about the negative impact staying at such a high weight will have for me and I am thinking about how losing weight could really help my health. I think I should ultimately try to get down to about 170.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread