It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 10:21 PM   #1
(female)

keekolee HB User
Unhappy Can't stop eating... ED???

I don't know what to do anymore. I'm 20 and I weigh 230(5'6").. I don't want to look/feel like this anymore. Everytime I walk by a glass door at work I'm staring at it to see how much fatter I'm getting. I lost weight on weight watchers a few years ago, but I got bored(or something) and put on more than I lost. I did the same with a nutritionist before that and the same thing with Curves after WW. It's like I do well for a little while but when I stop it seems like my body is making up for the food that it didn't consume. Summertime is slow where I work.. i try to keep busy with word puzzles or something but next thing i know I've got a snickers in my mouth. Then I feel ashamed for eating when I wasn't even hungry so I pop another bite size butterfinger in. I can't stop eating. I feel so helpless.
~Kee

Old 06-22-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
(female)

xBrokenxSmilex HB User
Re: Can't stop eating... ED???

I know how your feeling. I'm 15 and weigh over 200 pds, and because it is summer and I have nothing to do, I end up eating constantly. I wish i could help you or give you some advice, but i'm stuck as well. Just know that your not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
(female)

wondering1979 HB User

I have the same problem. I think that alot of it comes from habit. I am finding that just having something to put in my mouth helps. try having a bottle of water on hand at all times. that way everytime you feel like putting your hand to your mouth you will have your water on hand. also water will keep you full. so try to drink more water rather that eat more. I am doing this as well

Old 07-10-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

your not being able to stop eating when you feel you have eaten the "right" amounts tells me two things either what you consider proper amount (versus too much) is way to small to meet your needs, or since you stated you did weight watchers (myself included several years back) and lost weight that tells me you started yourself unknowingly on the famine feast cycle,

anytime we try to force fat off our bodies through caloiric restriction whether we try to burn it off or just eat less or both we start this cycle going. we end up fighting our bodies the whole way and most of the time losing that battle.

your body is in control, that is why the weight gain and the seemingly inability to not think about food even after just eating a meal and trying to get your mind off the food.

I had the same problem it seemed like I couldn't stop eating every 2 hours all day long. and I couldn't lose the "junk food cravings either.

once I realized I was on the famine feast cycle (even tho I wasn't deliberatly dieting at the time) and got off the cycle (through finding hunger cues and understanding what my cues for food was as opposed to other needs and eating more) the cravings for junk food and food thoughts that don't go away all day went away.

it took me three years of deprogramming false obesity cure information to realize everything I was told that caused obesity was wrong. I was following the wrong path, as is 99 percent of weight watching people,

so please dont beat yourself up for it, and realize your body is trying to tell you via food thoughts and easy fat gain that you are on this cycle and need to get off.

RR

Old 07-11-2005, 08:47 PM   #5
(female)

knoxville HB User

I know how you feel im youngerthan u and i weigh over 200. I do the same thing all the time and then i feel crappy and stuff, i acculley tryped to stop eating- lol dont do that, cuz ull end up eating and when you do you will eat so much and not notice...What i would do is drink tons of water until u almost feel bloated(sounds silly but works) and then u wont be hungry and i no soemtimes u know u arent hungry but ur just bored and try to ignore the fact and just make ur mind think u need food, lol but like u said u already do word puzzles and stuff, maybe get an walkman or ipod or somthing (i no when i listen to music i dont eat really)

So i hoped i helped a little

Bi

Old 07-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
(female)

autumn4596 HB User

you guys are going to be mad with my story. Sorry...
I'm 18 and I've been suffering from anorexia nervosa for 2-3 years now, and I was at my thinnest a year ago, then I thought I had control of myself, I got a job at a donut shop and I gained 35 pounds in a couple of months.... since then I havent been able to stop eating, I went on raw foods, but now I just cant seem to eat enough food. Even when I'm really full, to where I cant walk comfortably, I shove more food down my throat... Normally, people with control who can eat healthy amounts of food and stop there would lose weight eating all raw foods, but I cant stop eating, so its like I'm gaining weight eating the best foods you can eat. I feel gross and I'm letting myself down. how does anyone deal with things like this? People say...eat during the day....but I cant, I work in the day with no breaks, so I wait until after work to come home and have one big meal...ugh...!!!!! help!!!

Old 07-13-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
(female)

SilentSuffering HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by keekolee
I don't know what to do anymore. I'm 20 and I weigh 230(5'6").. I don't want to look/feel like this anymore. Everytime I walk by a glass door at work I'm staring at it to see how much fatter I'm getting. I lost weight on weight watchers a few years ago, but I got bored(or something) and put on more than I lost. I did the same with a nutritionist before that and the same thing with Curves after WW. It's like I do well for a little while but when I stop it seems like my body is making up for the food that it didn't consume. Summertime is slow where I work.. i try to keep busy with word puzzles or something but next thing i know I've got a snickers in my mouth. Then I feel ashamed for eating when I wasn't even hungry so I pop another bite size butterfinger in. I can't stop eating. I feel so helpless.
~Kee
Oh, you are not alone. You are most definitely not alone. I am 23, 5í4Ē, and I weigh 220 lbs. I am also very strong, but Iím not all muscle, know what I'm saying? LOL

As far as trying to lose weight goes, itís tough for everyone in our situation. We are uncomfortable in the weight, yes, but I believe that, to a certain extent, it has become like a warm blanket. I could be wrong; keep in mind that Iím only stating my opinion here.

Personally, Iíve become so used to being rejected by men because of my weight. Iím very unhappy and Iíve become quite lonely. But Iím also afraid to lose the weight. Do you know what I mean? Like what if I lose the weight and Iím still rejected?

And what if Iím not comfortable at my ďoptimalĒ weight? My Body Mass Index (BMI) is 28, which is obese, but not morbidly so. Apparently, someone decided that at my height, Iím supposed to be 120 lbs. I canít imagine that on my frame. I havenít been 120 lbs. since 8th grade! LOL

The prospect of losing 100 lbs. is also daunting. I think one of my big problems is that I see that my goal is so incredibly huge and then I become overwhelmed, and then sad, and then I do nothing. Or I get depressed, and I eat more, thereby defeating my own purpose. Sigh.

But back to the subject at hand. Changing your diet is one of the hardest things to do Ė for anyone. My story is that I was not raised on salads, fresh vegetables, or fruit; instead, I was raised on Chef Boyardee, macaroni & cheese, and Ramen noodles. (I was a latch key kid raised by a single parent who worked 2 jobs. I fed myself breakfast and dinner from 2nd grade to middle school to high school and so on. The meals had to be fast and easy for a young child to cook.) I'm sure you've heard the joke about "Tonight's dinner has been postponed until we can find the can opener!" Well, sadly, that truly is the kind of household I come from.

I quickly got used to eating crappy food. I also ended up becoming a terribly picky eater. I'm assuming that it's because I was not exposed to eating a variety of vegetables and fruits that there are so few that I actually like. I can't stand fish, I don't like a lot of fruit and there are even fewer vegetables that I'll eat. And did I mention that I can't stand salad? I've tried to make myself eat it, but I just can't get through it.

My diet consists of maybe - maybe - one piece of fruit and/or one vegetable per day. Now that I think about it, my diet is basically the same every single day. I have Instant Breakfast every morning when I go to work. I eat about a half pound of pasta almost every night (when I have the energy to cook). And I have virtually the same lunch every day (steak sandwiches or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.) Wow. That's pretty bad. I've been living on mostly carbs for a long time now. And I'm a secretary, so I'm almost completely sedentary. Itís no wonder I'm so big! LOL

The weekends are worse. I usually get so busy, and have so many things I need to take care of that I hardly ever sit down to eat. This past weekend, I had one meal on Saturday and one meal on Sunday. Both were pasta and were washed down with about 1 liter of iced tea.

On the upside, I really dislike fast food. I stay away from Taco Bell, KFC, McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, and Checkers. I avoid Pizza Hut at all costs. I'm not a fan of pizza or Chinese food, and I absolutely cannot eat spicy food.

I'm a true carnivore; I love beef, buffalo, chicken, deer, lamb, and pork. I love potatoes any way but raw. I like the snack plate veggies (broccoli, carrots, cucumber, etc.) but with ranch dressing (which is mostly fat and cream). I love corn, but I heard it has virtually no nutritional value.

Lately I've been trying to sneak in a yogurt or an apple as a mid-afternoon snack. Sometimes I'll have a banana. I'll have a couple of hard boiled eggs or an Ensure for dinner (if I have dinner.) I also drink lots of water each day.

I LOVE JUICE. I used to drink 1/2 gallon of orange juice every 2 days. I would also be slugging down apple, grape, and cranberry juices, but I got SO tired of people saying to me, "Watch out, you'll become a diabetic!" So I kind of just stopped cold turkey on the juice thing. Besides, I wasn't getting any calcium. Now I go through about 4 cups of milk per day. I calculate my breakfast as about 1,000 calories. When I have pasta, I usually eat about a half pound of pasta with meat sauce.

I become addicted to things very quickly (like those yummy steak & mozzarella sandwiches from the deli) but I also get tired of them quickly.

I tried to change my diet so many times before. Most diet plans are so restrictive (and comprised of foods I won't eat) that I can't stay on them. I also went on that diet where you eat 1 serving of something every 2 hours. I pretty much became a starving lunatic for the first few days, and the diet was just too hard to stay on. I will admit, though, that I did feel a little bit better while I was on the diet, but only briefly.

To keep myself from shoving snacks in my face while Iím at work, I chew sugarless gum. I keep my mouth busy, and I get to have decent breath. I also drink plenty of water, though I read that itís not that filling.

Cold water burns calories because your body has to warm it up to your internal temperature, however, burning calories increases your appetite. Sipping room temperature water is not supposed to increase your appetite, plus the weight and volume of the water are supposed to help fill you slightly. There is one caveat: donít drink too much water, or you risk flushing out too many of your vitamins.

Also, eating foods with a high water content (like watermelon or lettuce) are supposed to fill you up much faster than eating food and drinking water. Thereís an article in a womenís magazine (that I canít name) this month about this very subject. In the article, they cite ways to fill yourself up faster by eating certain foods. In lieu of a bowl of cereal, they say youíll have better success by eating a serving of oatmeal. I find this to be somewhat true, however, Iím not much of an oatmeal person.

It is SO hard to lose weight, even with all of the warnings. My family history has heart disease, strokes, arthritis, diabetes, cancer... you name it, Iíve got it in my genes. But even with all of that, I simply cannot seem to make myself drive to the gym, even though Iím paying for a membership. I canít make myself go for a walk on a Saturday afternoon. I canít make myself get up from this computer chair, where I sit for hours each night. And I canít make myself not eat that enormous bowl of ice cream with whipped cream and sprinkles.

I feel like a hopeless case myself. Iím built like the Michelin Man and I donít see any hope in sight! I havenít bought new clothes for myself in 4 years. I keep thinking, ďWhy spend the money on new clothes? Youíre just going to lose weight and have to buy all new clothes!Ē Yeah, right.

There is a site (that I cannot post here) that gives reviews of all of the diets out there. They evaluate everything from diets to exercise gurus, to pills. I wish I could give it to you, but I canít. They do give decent reviews to some of the diets, but Iíll admit that on most of the pages, they dismiss the item as a gimmick and suggest lowering your caloric intake and taking up ďlifestyle exercisesĒ (things you donít have to buy a lot of equipment for or pay memberships for) like walking or riding a bike.

Curves gets pretty bad reviews. They only have a half hour to talk to you, show you what to do, and have you work out. Studies have shown that the average amount of calories burned in a Curves session is approximately 300 - less than the amount in a candy bar.

If I could just get over that lack of motivation hurdle, I'd probably lose a lot of weight.

Kee, I wish you the best of luck. Just know that you are not alone and that there are a lot of us here going through the same things you are, thinking the same things you are, and wishing the same things you are.

suffering_in_silence

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he'll tell you the truth." -- Oscar Wilde

Last edited by SilentSuffering; 07-17-2005 at 08:22 PM.

Old 07-13-2005, 11:13 PM   #8
(female)

mom'o'5 HB User

Well, i'm 27 and fat, I only got this way after having kids. I was thin my whole life and let me tell you, i've never been happier that I am right now. Who wants to be skinny and give in to society's standards of how we should look. Who wants to attract a mate only by being thin. I'll tell ya people, I love food too much to go on a diet. Until I get so fat that i'm on bedrest, i'm enjoying my food. Who wants to be skinny, I never see skinny people smiling they're always in a bad mood. Wanna know why, because they're hungry. Eat drink and be merry!

Old 07-15-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
(female)

corianin HB User
Talking Re: Can't stop eating... ED???

I know exactly how miserable it can feel to be overweight. Sometimes it's not even the self image and how other people look at you. But the loss of activity, the sluggish feeling, depression. All of it surrounded me when I was topping the scales at 245. I'm only 5' 6" so that was morbidly obese. What a horrible horrible word. I felt like a horrible mom and the worse I felt the more I ate to make myself feel better and it just compounded the problem.

I know I'm addicted to food, especially sweets! I can gorge myself on them and not feel sick or full or anything. Most people feel sick after a piece of rich dessert. Not me... I'd eat it and go back for more. I cried my whole first week on Atkin's. Giving up sugar was the absolute hardest thing I've ever done. I had the shakes, I felt sick. It took me several tries to stick to the diet. Sometimes I would get up at night and sneak food so my husband didn't know what I was eating.

I chose the Atkin's diet. I know it might not be the diet for you. But it worked for me. I can't restrict myself when I eat, otherwise I'll binge and completely overeat. I could sit and eat a whole half gallon of ice cream in a sitting or a whole bag of chips. Just because I feel denied. Once I figured out some menus and recipes I had pretty good success with the Atkin's diet. I lost 80lbs in 9 months. I admit I cheated now and then, but overall stuck to the plan. My cravings for sugar went away and I'm running now. Something I never thought my body could handle. Certainly couldn't at 245! I'm changing but I still feel the same inside sometimes. Like I'm still huge and fat. Even when I look in the mirror I still see this fat girl, not the one with the waist. Maybe it's just hard to get used to because I lost the weight so quickly. But losing weight is easier than gaining self esteem. I can tell you that much. If you find a diet plan that you agree with and believe you can follow then it will work for you.

I tattooed chinese calligraphy symbols for strength between my shoulder blades because I know that I pulled myself out of something that could very well have consumed me. The symbols to the right say "the power is unparalled in the world" and the left says "the strength to climb mountains." all of it symbolizes my strength to overcome myself. I wish you the best of luck, take it one step at a time and you will make it.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:59 PM   #10
(female)

tropicalfreeze2 HB User

knoxville..be careful with the water...drinking too much (more than 8, 8 ounce glasses of water per day) causes the kidneys to work on overdrive, that can be dangerous!!!

Old 07-16-2005, 11:09 PM   #11
(female)

fractured-spiri HB User

please do not do what i did ........ i put my life on hold........ i wanted to loose weight prior to doing anything and now i am old and have enjoied nothing and am now over 300 lbs........

Old 07-17-2005, 10:08 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Get your hormones checked. You may estrogen dominate & that can cause weight & fat gain which causes more estrogen which causes more fat.....

Old 07-17-2005, 07:32 PM   #13
(female)

SilentSuffering HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianin
...I cried my whole first week on Atkin's. Giving up sugar was the absolute hardest thing I've ever done. I had the shakes, I felt sick. It took me several tries to stick to the diet. Sometimes I would get up at night and sneak food so my husband didn't know what I was eating.

I chose the Atkin's diet. I know it might not be the diet for you. But it worked for me. I can't restrict myself when I eat, otherwise I'll binge and completely overeat. I could sit and eat a whole half gallon of ice cream in a sitting or a whole bag of chips. Just because I feel denied. Once I figured out some menus and recipes I had pretty good success with the Atkin's diet. I lost 80lbs in 9 months. I admit I cheated now and then, but overall stuck to the plan. My cravings for sugar went away and I'm running now. Something I never thought my body could handle. Certainly couldn't at 245! I'm changing but I still feel the same inside sometimes. Like I'm still huge and fat. Even when I look in the mirror I still see this fat girl, not the one with the waist. Maybe it's just hard to get used to because I lost the weight so quickly. But losing weight is easier than gaining self esteem. I can tell you that much. If you find a diet plan that you agree with and believe you can follow then it will work for you.
I'm glad you've had success so far with the Atkins diet, and at least you're losing weight at a healthy rate.

The Atkins diet has been panned by many doctors because of what it does to your body. Also, as soon as you go off the diet, you will begin to gain the weight back. My sister quickly lost an amazing 60 lbs. on the Atkins diet. Then, when she had lost a good enough amount of weight, she began slowly re-introducing flour, sugar, milk, etc. into her diet. And I'm sure you can guess what happened, right? She began slowly re-gaining everything she had lost. She now weighs more than I do.

Also, when you're on Atkins, you are cutting out the foods that provide your energy. That's what carbs are - the basic "building blocks" for energy. Your body burns carbs first whenever it needs fuel. That's why Atkins discourages exercise. The basic idea is that, since you're not taking in any fuel, you shouldn't exercise, and that's not good.

The answer to losing weight and keeping it off lies in changing your lifestyle, and that's why (I believe) it's become so difficult for so many of us to lose weight. It's quite difficult, after 20 or more years of doing the same things, or getting used to certain behaviors to suddenly eat smaller amounts of the right foods. It's also difficult, after years of being couch (or computer) potatoes to get up and move yourself for at least 30 minutes per day. Those two things can work wonders for you... If you have the discipline for it. (I'm working on doing it myself.)

There is a site (that I cannot post here) that gives reviews of all of the diets out there. They evaluate everything from diets to exercise gurus, to pills. I wish I could give it to you, but I canít. They do give decent reviews to some of the diets, but Iíll admit that on most of the pages, they dismiss the item as a gimmick and suggest lowering your caloric intake and taking up ďlifestyle exercisesĒ (things you donít have to buy a lot of equipment for or pay memberships for) like walking or riding a bike.

I wish everyone here the best of luck and ask that everyone please be careful. According to doctors, healthy weight loss is about 2-3 pounds per week. Losing more than 5 lbs. per week is supposed to be stressful for your body.

And tropicalfreeze2 is right; drinking too much water will cause your kidneys to work overtime, but it will also flush out all of your vitamins. Drinking too much water is never good.

BOLITF

suffering_in_silence

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he'll tell you the truth." -- Oscar Wilde

Last edited by SilentSuffering; 07-17-2005 at 07:35 PM.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:36 PM   #14
(female)

ChippedAway HB User

Wow, I read this post and really see myself in you all. I'm 21, almost 22, and am 5'4" and tonight was 243 on the scale. I'm disgusted with myself.

I am happy and confident for the most part, but I ride horses and show and sometimes when I'm riding my horse in the ring I imagine people saying "that poor horse has to carry that fatass around". I have a young horse that I put in training because I feel I am too heavy to train him myself, even though I am great at horse related stuff like that.

I have stomach problems that make me nauseous almost 24/7, yet I still find myself eating to make myself feel better, crackers, etc what not. Crackers seem pretty harmless, but its when you keep eating them, with a slice of bread here and there, they add up quick.

It seems like I am always thinking about food, planning what I'll have next, wh at I'm in the mood for, what I wish I ahd. Wish I could stop that!

I was just diagnosed with cystic fibrosis last fall (late diagnosis) and most people who have this disease have trouble keeping weight on, not me! I feel really chicken about this whole thing, I like I just need to cowgirl up and do it. I get the motivation, it's definitely there, but then it's like before I know it I've ate a snack and not realized it!

I am a picky eater too, I don't like fruit at all (except orange juice, apple juice and apple sauce), I don't like vegetables unless its in soup. Salad makes me gag, I've tried to eat it, but I can't do it. I'd love to be able to sit down and have a salad.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:46 PM   #15
(male)

j_mac3 HB User

I used to be like that now what i do to stop those hunger pains i drink a glass of water to take away my appetite that way i don't overeat and feel bad about it

Closed Thread