It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2005, 06:59 PM   #1
(female)

chesapeake girl HB User
Questions Re: LapBand surgery/procedure...

My dr. has said that he will start the procedure to see if my insurance will cover it, and start with the different test and surgeon visits, etc.

What all else is involved before getting this procedure, how long does it take once the process starts??

Also:

how long before you were back to your normal routine?

did you have to stay in the hospital over night?

did you have any problems??

any additional info would be great>

Thanks

chesapeake girl

Old 06-25-2005, 11:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User
Re: Questions Re: LapBand surgery/procedure...

I'd like to know about this too, hopefully someone has some info for us

chesapeake girl, how much do you have to lose? I need to lose at least 100, I'm wondering if my doctor would approve the lap band for me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
(female)

chesapeake girl HB User

campinggirl,

I currently weigh 252, 5'4". I have been this weight for quite a while. I've tried everything, but never stick with anything. I guess I just don't have the discipline - who knows. I love working out, but I never really see a weight loss.
My dr. said he was o.k. with this choice. He has given me phentermine, and diet papers and suggestions, nothing works. But my insurance might not o.k. it. I do not have sugar, high blood pressure, orany other problems. I can't afford it on my own. But he is going to start the paper work on Wednesday.

chesapeake girl

Old 07-12-2005, 08:05 AM   #4
(female)

pamstransky HB User

I was approved for the Lap Band procedure. I am having it done July 29th. I had to have a complete physical and complete blood work, also a EKG & chest xray. I was approved after the first letter to my insurance (Dakotacare). I am 5' 2" and weigh 303lbs. I start a liquid protein shake & bar diet this Friday July 15th. I have to do that for two weeks prior to surgery to shrink my liver. After the procedure I will have to be on a liquid diet for two or more weeks and then a soft diet for 3-4 weeks then normal after that.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-15-2005 at 08:02 PM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Old 07-12-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
(female)

chesapeake girl HB User

Hi Pam,

I am so happy for you. I was denied last week for surgery from my insurance company. They said that my policy does not have a ryder to cover obesity surgery. I was really depressed and down about it.
I weigh 260lbs. and have no other medically related problems. do you?

chesapeake girl

Old 07-15-2005, 07:32 PM   #6
(female)

pamstransky HB User

I have type 2 Diabetes, Sleep Apnea, High blood Pressure and my knee is starting to give me trouble. I started the protein shake/ bar diet today. I have to do it until my surgery date. Boy it is tough...but I will get through with it.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:37 PM   #7
(female)

KIDINSANITY HB User

Isn't it amazing that insurance companies won't pay for obesity treatment/surgery, but they'll gladly pay for years and years of treatment/prescriptions/etc for diabetes, heart disease, stroke and joint problems that occur with obesity??!!

I'm 5/4, 256llbs, and I really thought my insurance would approve either the lap band surgery, or GPB surgery because I have high blood pressure and am borderline diabetic. NOPE. I really identified with you and feel your frustration as if it were my own. I'm sorry if I just barged in on your conversation.
Sue

Old 07-20-2005, 02:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

Pam -

Your surgery is in just over a week (Friday the 29th, I think). Please let us know how it goes. I was wondering if they've educated you yet on post-surgery stuff, such as how long you'll be in the hospital? I'm also interested in any vitamins, B-12 shots, etc. that you might be taking after the surgery. Will they let you take glucosamine chondroitin for your knee problems? I'm also curious what meds you take for your T2 Diabetes. We could be twins, brother and sister.

wb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamstransky
I have type 2 Diabetes, Sleep Apnea, High blood Pressure and my knee is starting to give me trouble. I started the protein shake/ bar diet today. I have to do it until my surgery date. Boy it is tough...but I will get through with it.

Old 07-25-2005, 06:47 AM   #9
(female)

pamstransky HB User

My surgery is this Friday July 29th at 8am. I am still doing the Protein shakes and bars. I have lost 6 lbs in just the last week. My Dr. had me stop for my Diabetes med (Metformin) because she said I won't need it after surgery. I still take my Blood Pressure med & 4 a day special formulated chewable multivitamins. (For people having weightloss surgery) They are called Optisource. I also take a chewable Vitamin C daily. After surgery my Dr. said I would continue the chewable vitamins for six months...then I probably wouldnt need them. I will have to be on a liquid diet fror 3-4 weeks and will lose alot of weight, generally (30-60 lbs is average) then I will lose 2-3 lbs a week. Until hopefully reaching my goal. I try to walk around the block daily or do some form of activity, but I dont like exercise. I keep moving at work so that helps too. I work as a residential instructor in a group home. The other staff always tell me to relax and slow down. I will keep you posted and updated on my progress. As for my knee, I think it will improve as the weight comes off...it seems to be alot better even after lossing the 6 lbs.

Old 07-28-2005, 02:15 PM   #10
(female)

shaz59 HB User
Exclamation Anyone else have band failure?

I am looking for anyone that has suffered from band failure. I am talking about complete failure where your band does not hold a fill. If you have had this issue what was the out come of it? Did you need to have the band replaced? Did you decided to have the band removed and go with a by-pass or did you decide to leave well enough alone. I believe that this issue is most common in the smaller older 4cc band.

Please contact me if you have had issues. I am researching the failure rate of this band and the Mfg. I had band failure with the smaller 4cc band and just had it replaced with the newer larger one.

There could be a product liability issue with this band as well if there are enough people with failure of this device a class action suite against the Mfg.

With my conversations with the Mfg, they seem to like to blame the Dr's that do the surgeries rather then take responsibility for their product of which they do not even have a warrantee for

Thanks for all your help
shaz

Closed Thread