It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2005, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

Bonnie1 HB User
Why do you think you are fat?

I have been looking through this site for a while and I have posted my story on as well. I am a very large girl officially classed as mobidly obese. I am in the process of seeing if I can get funding for Gastric Banding surgery.

Whilst looking through people's posts there seems to be alot said about the reasons why people may be fat. Some people have mentioned the word Gluttony, many have talked about having to solve the issues inside you before dealing with the outside. Some have said about people will loose weight if you just exercise and eat the correct food.

I was just wondering what people really think has made them fat.

Me personally, I don't have any 'issues' that need to be dealt with that has made me overeat, as a child I was chubby and I have gotten bigger over the years. I weight about 23 stone now and I am nearly 24 years old. I love chocolate.

I haven't been able to exercise in the way in which I would like to anymore (I used to be active when younger, badminton, horse riding, swimming etc, yet was still 'bigger' than average) due to severe Epilpesy and being diagnosed with Idiopathic Intercranial Hypertension. I would if I was able to. For me the surgery is a way to perhapes help me cope with illnesses I have better, I cope pretty well now, but of course being big means extra problems which I could do without.

I am fat becuase I loved chocolate. I am fussy with any other type of food (only eat chicken, no other meat at all) and chocolate is my downfall.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

neflin HB User
Re: Why do you think you are fat?

How much in weight is 23 stones. In pounds.

Old 12-20-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
(female)

Bonnie1 HB User

I don't know...alot though!

Old 12-20-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

neflin HB User

I, too have been fat. I am still fat I consider as I still have about 35 pounds to lose. I am fat because I choose to eat. I am fat because I have no will power. I am fat because it is easier to be fat and lazy than watch what I eat. This way I can eat all I want to. It is called comfort food. I am fat because I have issues. Anyone who says they do not have issues is fooling themselves.

Before I started dieting I was up to a size 26 pants. Now that is hefty. I am probably between 5' 8" and 5' 9". Both you and I know how fat people kid themselves just like you told me you did not know how much stones weighed. You are again fooling yourself. You just do not want to put the weight down. Will I will up you one. When I started I weighed a good 273 pounds. I am now down to a sexy size 18 and about 193. I still want to go lower. No, I will say that again. With God's help I will go lower. I never say I will, I say with the Almighty help. I am not overly religious. My husband always loved me. Now he goes crazy for me. We have the most wonderful sex life in the world and now I seriously know why I got thin. Will I ever give this up and get fat again. Lord No. When hell freezes over. What we have I would never trade for a chocolate bar or pizza. Food really does not tempt me anymore. I stay busy. My next goal is the next 10 pounds. Losing what I have I no longer need the comfort food. I would never have the stomach band surguery. I know people who have gained weight back on it and it is a cope out. All you are saying are cop outs. I have problems to but you are playing your own game. All the reasons why you do not want to get serious about yourself.

I am not being mean but there is no fast remedy for what you and I have done. I have been working on it since January. BUT when I put on those slinky three short and skimpy nighties purchased from the top sexy place around for $180 which barely cover me and go in to my husband it is all worth it.

Just a few ideas of why I do not plan on ever gaining it back and still losing more. People are always here to help.

Last edited by neflin; 12-20-2005 at 01:54 PM.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:03 PM   #5
(male)

hopenj77 HB User

be careful with that type off surgery do your homework. ive heard alot of bad things about that, and if you want it done do it for you and not your boyfriend ect.... good luck hope you find happiness...

Old 12-20-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

I believe a stone is 14 lbs, so Bonnie is a large girl. Best of luck Bonnie.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
(female)

StephMA HB User

I'm fat for many reasons ... many within my control, some not within my control:

Genetics
Underactive thyroid
Too much food
Not enough exercise
Love to cook, but too lazy and/or busy to do it every day.
I'm a stress eater

I've been heavy since childhood. I was a serious but non-competitive figure skater as a kid, skating 12 hours a week when school was in session and 20 hours a week when it wasn't. My school required phys-ed classes 3 times a week. I also loved to bike ride and swim and did it regularly. Often getting up at 5am to bicycle for exercise before school. Yet, despite all the activity, I was 170lbs when I graduated high school. I'm only 5'5". Once I finished college and started working 40 hour weeks, it was in evitiable that my activity level went down and the weight went up.

I'm a bit over 250 lbs now, but still fairly active. I skate w/ my kids, I can walk forever. I have no desire for weight loss surgery and I doubt I'd qualify as I do not have any of the co-morbidities -- normal blood pressure, no diabetes, no joint pain, normal cholesterol. I'm 46 years old, so it's not that "youth is on my side".

My grandmother lived to be 96 and was always 50-75 lbs overwieght and in old-age her only medical problem was pernicious anemia, treated w/ a monthly shot of one of the B vitamins (I forget which one), so I guess in THAT respect, I have 'good genes'.

And before anybody jumps to tell me that genetics is a myth and it's a learned behavior ... I have one adopted child and one biological child so I have the whole nature/nurture thing going on and when it comes to food, they are DRAMATICALLY different. Both were fed the same way as babies, yet as they got older ... the adopted one prefers to eat PLAIN veggies and fruit. He'll eat any veggie you put in front of him, as long as it's simply cooked w/ no sauces and by itself. He eats some meat (but is picky) and cheese. He'll eat a small serving of starch, such as rice or pasta, but never asks for 2nds on that, often leaving it on his plate, barely touched. He likes his sweets, but he'll more often ask for an apple or a cucumber for snack than something sweet. And I need to set limits when it comes to Clementines ... if I don't monitor it, he'll single-handedly eat an entire 5lb box in two days!! When it comes to activity ... he's a natural athlete, and loves to compete ... he can focus on school work and on some days would watch TV for hours if I let him ...

My bio child eats NO cooked veggies but potatoes ... she'll eat raw carrots, brocolli, lettuce and cucumbers. Her favorite "meal" is a bowl of rice or pasta (plain is fine, as long as it's starch). She LOVE all meats and will rarely eat a peice of fruit. She loves sweets, begs for them, and was sneaking them out of the kitchen (she's six) --- I stopped buying them for that reason. She's getting chunky. She LOVES to dance and skate and go to gymnastics, but she just doesn't move as much as her brother. When she plays outside, she's likley to sit on the sidewalk and make chalk pictures or play 'house' with her dolls and neighborhood kids. She rides a bike, but slowly, not worrying about speed.

So it is about the NATURE of the child, not only how they are taught.

Speaking for myself, I do want to get some weight off and like half the people in industrialized nations world wide, I'll try, AGAIN, to do that after the first of the year.

Last edited by StephMA; 12-20-2005 at 10:08 PM.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Well 10 stones is 140 pounds but the page doesn't say how to convert or go any higher.
Anyway, I got fat in 2001, I got very sick and I went into the hospital weighing 136 came out at 122 (my weight until a year before that) and I had to take steroids, I have ulcerative colitis, well I had to take them for eight months, and steroids put the weight on. I have never eaten much, nor do I eat bad. However with colits I cannot eat any veggies, except potates, or very many fruits, which is what I lived on before. I was so sick for those few months that I couldnt' do anthing, I was stuck in bed for almost 2 months, so for that time I was gaining weight pretty fast. I literally gained 40lbs overnight. Anyway, I got up a good ways higher than that. And I finally started losing it and then got sick and had to take steriods again, so I put that back on. Well then again i started losing it, and got pregnant! But I only gained 28lbs while I was pregnant, and 10lbs of that in the last 5weeks after I had some early labor I started retaining water really badly. So after I lost the baby I lost most of that. Within two weeks I had lost the baby weight, and have lost 62lbs since the baby came 6 months ago, I have a long weigh to go though. I didnt' get fat from eating badly or too much, I don't eat much at all, and I drink mostly water. But, until recently I had been to sick to do much exercising. I always had this feeling that after I had a baby it would be easy to lose weight, and I was right. I am down to a 12 in most things, but I still have a ways to go, most of the weight is in my chest I am still having to wear maternity bras, because my chest will not get any smaller.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:25 PM   #9
(female)

StephMA HB User

If 1 stone is 14 pounds and 10 stones is 140 pounds then 23 stones is 322 pounsd (23 times 14).

Old 12-21-2005, 11:46 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

Let's see...

I am fat b/c I don't watch what I eat. I am fat b/c I don't exercise AT ALL. I am fat b/c I eat when I get bored and have ZERO willpower or discipline. I don't have any personal issues except the fact that I am fat.

I never thought I would use the word "fat" to describe myself, but now, I do. My weight has been as low as 120 and as high as 170. I am now approximately 185 pounds and 5'6". At 170, I was like "I need to lose some weight". But being 185, I can REALLY SEE that I am fat. And I hate it. I absolutely hate it. Posting/realizing this is so ironic for me b/c I have read testimonials here and in other places about people saying "I'm so fat!! I hate looking at myself in the mirror!! I'm depressed b/c I'm fat!! I hate buying clothes!!", and I just didn't understand how their weight could make them feel that way. I now find myself saying and feeling those same things, and I never thought I would. I now know how those people felt. It's not a good feeling. I feel like I have let myself down. Physically, it has taken a toll on my body. Even though I feel this way, I do know one thing-only I have control over what my body looks like and how much I weigh. Only I can make the weight go away, and nobody else can. And knowing that gives me hope. I just have to believe in myself and tell myself "I can do this". I am "starting over" in January. I AM going to lose these 50+ pounds. I AM going to look good. I AM going to feel better than I have ever felt. I am 34. My dad had a heart attack when he was 38, and that fact is never far from my mind.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:11 PM   #11
(female)

smurfett HB User

I am fat because I also have no will power. I do have alot of stress in my life and I am an emotional eater. I actually do most of my eating out of boredom. I am very rarely hungry. I know I have some issues I need to deal with, but i don't want to say my problems are why I eat alot...I actually don't undersatnd why I overeat.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

I am not fat(have lost 20 lbs several years ago) and believe that the obesity problem is so simple but everyone wants to make it seem so complex...pure and simple...human beings are eating food that a human was never meant to consume. Food is addictive...the more refined carbs we consume...the more we want to consume. When these refined carbs are not eaten, the uncontrollable urge to eat this goes away! A human's digestive system was not meant to eat this stuff! I've never seen a doughnut growing on this Earth...have you?

Old 01-18-2006, 11:45 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

I'm fat because I can't keep my mouth shut. My mother was fat, too. Whenever I cut back and started to lose weight, she'd tell me that I wasn't going to succeed and cooked everthing she could that would sabotage my diet. I was 11 or 12, and I couldn't go to a Fast Food place because back then, nothing on the menu was healthy. And when I asked my mom about cooking something not so fattening, I got the standard "You'll eat what I put on the table and be damn happy about it."

I think that I've finally taken my life back. I've lost 35 pounds so far, so I'm at 25% of what I want to lose. Whenever I was sad or happy, food was my comfort. Not anymore.

wb

Old 01-21-2006, 09:10 PM   #14
(female)

Danni0307 HB User

I really dont know why I am fat...maybe because I have no drive. I would love to wear the cute little clothes in the summer and to go the beach with my friends and to have a stedy boyfriend, but that will never happen....with me being as fat as I am. I am very down most of the time. I worry about things all the time and I have never had a true boyfriend (except middle school when i was slimmer). I try to act like I am fierce and like I have never had any problems but clearly that is an academy award winning performance. I am fat because Food is my best friend....no matter what happens it will be there...and that is an addiction in itself.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:45 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

Danni -

I've learned that in order for someone to lose weight, they are going to have to decide that they want to do it. I've tried so many diets and such, but never counted that extra sour cream I used, etc. But now, I've decided that it just has to be done. I've lost 35 pounds and need to lose 100 more, but I'm finally moving in the right direction.

wb

Closed Thread