It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
(female)

AJamerson HB User
Question Tired of Being Obese, Don't Know Where to Turn, any Suggestions Welcome

Hello. I just found healthboards on a google search tonight.
My name is Amanda, I am 24 years old, and I weigh 340 at only 5'2".
Therefore I am morbidly obese.
I am so sick and tired of being big like this. I have terrible back and hip pain due to my obesity. Because of my back I do not have a job right now so I do not have insurance. I have been to the doctor and all I have been told is that my back pain is due to me being obese. I have tried every diet known to man. I do not have much willpower and feel like I am addicted to food. I am so sick of it, sometimes I don't care what happens to me.
Because of not having insurance as well as bad credit (no job= no money)
I am not a candidate for surgery.
I have nowhere to turn it seems. This is a plea for help. I am really at the end of my rope. I am so down and out, life is not good anymore. My obesity and back problems keep my from the things I love to do and from much excercise as well.
Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do?
I appreciate any suggestions that you have.

-Amanda

Old 07-31-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User
Re: Tired of Being Obese, Don't Know Where to Turn, any Suggestions Welcome

Amanda-

Based on the fact that you are not a candidate for surgery and live in NC, I'd suggest that you consider looking into the Duke University program for weight loss. There was a special on it a few months back on the Discovery Health channel and they have worked with a lot of obese people to help them get a new lifestyle without surgery. Good luck to you.

wb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
(female)

elmstlover HB User

How come you are not a canidate for surgery? Just curious. If you have no job and no insurance, I am sure you could get on medicaid and they pay for the surgery. I have no idea on how to go about getting on it, or the steps to getting approved for the surgery, but if you are so depressed, I would look into it. I have looked into getting a band, but dh's insurance does not cover it and we do not qualify for medicaid.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
(female)

TheMamaLisa HB User

I know how you feel. I had back surgery last year and I am in line for neck surgery as well. My back gets so bad that i cant even get up out of bed to go to the bathroom. After going through this for years I now know that I have to do somthing. I am also not a candidate for surgery and was very sad at first because I felt like it was my last hope. I am extremly addicted to food as well. I have never counted but I am sure there were days when I consumed over 5,000 calories! Since I really cant do very rigorous activity I started feeling like giving up. Then I though I am 26 and if I give up I will live the rest of my life in severe pain every day. I dont want to do that to myself either. So I decided I would just cut back on my food. It is so hard but I have done it for 3 weeks now. I feel such strong cravings that I feel like i will explode but I go brush my teeth and use listerine for as long as I can stand. It helps b/c it makes the food taste yucky. After cutting my calories I weighed at the Dr at 15 pounds lighter than the 3 weeks prior. I decided if I can do that by calorie reduction i could lose even more by doing daily stretching. i am so excited because I usually only gain weight so when I found out I lost 15 pounds i made the decision to try for another 15! It is so hard but i think if we use this board for support at least we can speak to others who know first hand! Good luck and dont give up! (I will try to use my own advice in a couple days)

The following user gives a hug of support to TheMamaLisa:
Honey60 (02-08-2011)
Old 08-09-2006, 06:19 AM   #5
(female)

MerelyMe HB User

Hi Amanda

Since you have had back surgery and are limited to what you can do physically, why not check around your town for a public pool, most YMCA's have one as do community colleges...most offer water aerobic classes, but if you don't feel comfortable with doing the whole group thing, you can arrange to go at a time when no one else is there or perhaps just a few people....

Remember, even overweight people are weightless in the water...so this will take the pressure off your back and still allow you to exercise...

Just a thought...
MerelyMe

Old 08-13-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
(female)

Location: I live in a small town near historic Harrisburg Pennsylvania in the United States of America
ch1x0rpr1nc3ss HB User

I dont know if any of you have looked into low carb dieting... but let me just suggest it, merely from the craving standpoint... because your right... the hardest part about dieting is the cravings, I dont think skinny people understand just how overpowering those cravings can be.

I found a solution that worked for me, maybe it will help one of you out there in internet land.

I did three things... weighing in at 327 at 5'7" ... 33 yrs old... constant knee back and hip pains... bleh... I felt that I no longer had a choice... I am a perfect candidate for surgery... however.. I simply refuse to do that to my body... not when I know I can do it... there are far to many drawbacks and for goodness sakes... if I cant control my eating without surgery... whats going to change? I eat myself into life threatening situations now... why and how will surgery change that? I over eat to the point of my stomach feeling quite ill... if I do that after surgery I can cause myself SERIOUS complications...

no... surgery is just not the way to go for me.... instead I did some research to try and figure out why I have these rediculously difficult to resist cravings for food when other people walk around and actually feel that having to stop and eat something is a waste of time... ?!?!?!?!?!?

hey... I am planning lunch as I wash my breakfast plate... I LIVE for food...

and I found out why... our bodies are genetically programed to respond to carbs... carbs say... whoa... its summer time... time to stock fat to make it through the winter...

you have to remember, it wasnt long ago that we couldnt just go to the McDonalds or the supermarket... we had to grow our own food and survive winters....

so carbs = hunger

if you can get yourself through the first few days without them... you will be amazed...

another important thing.... do not allow yourself to get hungry... eat every two hours... as soon as your hungry... eat a protein

also vitally important... buy yourself a pretty little sipper water bottle... I just got myself a nifty avian one and refill it with water from my tap... makes me feel special LOL

and that water is my constant companion.... I get thirsty... I drink... I get hungry... I drink... when I eat my snack... I drink.... when I wake up... I drink... I drink water till I pee like a racehorse... water is the conveyer belt that carrys out all the fat that our body is breaking down to use as energy since we are no longer feeding it "outside energy" (carbs)

a good rule of thumb I go by is 2/3 protein 1/3 veggie
the veggies contain enough carbs to cover our bodies need for carbs and the meats and veggies contain enough natural fats to cover the fats... oh... and salt... toss it... buh bye... the new mrs dash rocks... really... promise... and with your new NON craving self... it will be easier to eat right... if I can be happy eating a yummy lean steak and salad ... soemthings wrong...

note: all veggies should be of decent quality, if you can afford organic go for it... the less crap we put in our bodies the better, our poor bodies are already struggling enough...

also, a good rule of thumb... if it taste sweet it probably is... no beans/legumes/grains/potatoes

next... dont go crazy on the fats... no atkins philosophy of eating a pound of bacon... I mean... dont get me wrong... you can eat a little fat... but I try to stay away from it... one... its not healthy... I mean a little pat of yogurt spread.. or a drizzle of some healthy extra virgin olive oil is ok... but be smart... I know that when I shop if I am sitting and staring and debating a food item... I am getting ready to self sabatoge myself... and trying to figure out a way I can justify sticking it in my cart...

not anymore... my life isnt worth it... I would rather live and feel good

and last but not least... while it is not nessisary and you will still lose weight without it... exersize.... if for nothing else... then to improve the health of your heart.... every day that you lie in bed or sit in front of the TV, your heart gets a little weaker... then you add fat to your body and make it work even harder? of course its danger town... seriously bad combo...

what I did ... because I am a po gurl... I scrounged together 30$ and went to walmart and bought a wrist worn heart rate monitor.... its the same one that those people who lost all that weight on the reality tv show THe Biggest Loser wore.... then I went to the bottom of my stairs with a little crappy radio that fizzed popped and crackled the whole time... and I held onto the hand rail... and stepped up with my right foot... shifted my weight up onto the right foot and stood up on the step. then came back down and did it with the left.... slowly working my way up to my target heart rate (healthiest way to make sure your safely excersizing in cardio is by maintaining a safe heart rate) (if you need to consult your doctor, then do that)

find out what your target heart rate is... you do that by starting an activity... then doing it until your are SLIGHTLY out of breath... meaning... you can still talk... its not super easy to talk... but your not so out of breath that you cant hold a conversation.... you should start to sweat a little and keep that sheen of sweat going the entire time... (unless your just one of those people that sweat excesively) sweat is goooooooooooooooooooood

then you slowly work your way up to that heartrate and maintain it for an hour (work your way up to that... start at around 5 minutes.... do that for a week... then add 5... do that for a week... add 5... etc etc
take it nice and slow cause first and formost you want to be safe... if you begin having chest pains or anything crazy happens call your doc immediately...

also... dont take any days off

its a new way of life not a diet... you want to be healthy... you have to live healthy... simple as that... living a life doesnt get a day off

I lost 75 lbs in three months... by doing what I mentioned above... then I made the mistake of thinking... well gee... I am gonna take a break and go back to the way I use to eat for a little while and then I will get back on it...

yeah right... but... thats ok cause I learned my lesson and it will not happen again... I have lost 10 lbs so far and plan on going the whole way this time...

in the end... your body will be healthier, happier and stronger...

I am not trying to be "skinny", I just want to be healthy... to be able to run for an hour comfortably... that would be nice.... well, I rambled for a while... good luck everyone... and never lose hope... you only lose when you decide not to try anymore... then you have no one to blame but yourself.... remember... you can do this... you just have to make the decision that your health is more important then your cravings...

water water water...

one last helpful hint... after I got use to excersizing I use to excersize away a craving lol... that scared the little buggers off I tell ya...

Old 08-13-2006, 06:05 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

RozIA HB User

Why cant you diet and exercise ????

Old 08-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

mkwll7 HB User

If you looking to loose and be healthy you can take suppliments to get you a big boost. I would run out and get a diet pill because those are basically just going to speed you up and I don't think of them as healthy or effective.

You need a green tea type of stimulant, L-carnitine, HCL,

Definately a good cleanser

CLA which is a good fat that will help to reduce body fat and increase lean muscle, also stopping the muscles from taking a hit from caffinee

and possibly a diaretic

and drink water after meals

there is a product called diet source to try

Old 08-21-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
(female)

sw3006 HB User

Have you ever tried Medifast or Optifast? Although drastic, they do have awesome results from those needing to loose 100 pounds or more. Yes, a little expensive, but cheaper than surgery. And Medifast has a transition phase now, so its easier to stay on track once you lose your weight - and it also has an excellent support system.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #10
(female)

hepeful HB User

WOW ch1x0rpr1nc3ss! I just can't believe that you wrote that! It was so helpful! I may not use everything, I'm 230lb, 5'2'. I'm currently walking about 20km a week (preparing for a 60km walk in a couple of weeks). You're words were very encouraging, supportive and to the point. Thanks for the post!

Last edited by hepeful; 08-30-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Closed Thread