It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
(female)

carolw HB User
Gastric bypass and gas

I have a friend who had gastric bypass 3 years ago this aug. anyway she has really really bad gas. I mean just about all the time she is in a lot of pain from this gas and complains all the time. She says she has asked her doctor about this and they have told her it is just normal side affect of GBS nothing can be done. She eats gas-x like candy with no let up. Can anyone who has had GBS tell me if haveing lots of gas normal? Thanks for any information you can give me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
(female)

admired1 HB User
Re: Gastric bypass and gas

Hi, I just wanted to say something b/c no else have replied to your message and I want to give you my thought....I personally haven't had gastric bypass surgery but I had a ceasrian birth before and I know for a fact that any time your intestines or anything in your belly gets moved around or doctored on you do have gas really bad, but you said it's been a whole year since the surgery that's doesn't sound normal b/c the stomach should have come to normal workage by now, I would really encourage a dr.'s visit really soon to make sure everything is ok,

hope i've helped
admired

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
(female)

carolw HB User

thanks for your reply. I know about the gas after c-section I have had 2. She had the gastric bypass 3 years ago. Every since then she has had what she calls gas pain sometimes it hurts her so much she cant move. She has talked to her gastric doctor and her family doctor both have said this is a normal side affect of gastric bypass surgery. I just cant believe that people who have this surgery would have this much pain from this surgery. I worry so much about her. I have see her double over crying with this pain. From the replies I have gotten on here I am guessing no one else has gas pains from gastric bypass. Thanks for any help

Old 08-26-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
(female)

AlisaO HB User

HI! I wonder if your friend is eating or drinking the wrong things? I read somewhere that gas can be caused by drinking carbonated drinks like sodas,
too much sugar and milk.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
(female)

Nana23 HB User

I had a gastric bypass 2 1/2 years ago and yes, gas is a real problem--a very perplexing and embarassing problem.

Kathy

Old 09-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

plasva HB User

Do they warn you about this problem before you have the surgery? They really should let people know what to expect

Old 09-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
(male)

tglover HB User

my ex-wife and oldest daughter both had GBS, 3-1/2 & 4 years respectively. both have terrible problems with gas pain. they usually chew the soft antacids for gas. sometimes these work quickly and sometimes not. they try to watch what they eat. it has been trial and error on what they eat and what they don't. she should stay away from carbonated beverages, cabbage, beans, etc. she might try taking an anti-gas pill 30 minutes before eating. each person is different. they both had the same doctor. he did warn them of these problems as he had had the surgery himself. hope this helps. good luck.

Last edited by tglover; 09-24-2006 at 12:14 PM.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

travellink HB User
Lightbulb Re: Gastric bypass and gas

I had gastric bypass surgery about 5 years ago and Yes...it is one of the side affects some people get....I do....it is quite painful at times. I get them all over. In my particular case I have noticed that it occurs more when I eat something hot or warm and suddenly get up and drink a glass of cold water or something cold.....Not a good thing! It's quite painful. I know it has been some time since you wrote this article but should your friend continue to have those gas pains....ask her to write down for a while what she eats and drinks for about 2 weeks or so....then have her take a good look at the list....there must be something triggering the gas. This also goes for any one whom has had this surgery. Also, please eat and drink slowly. By careful with the sweets you can break out into cold sweats and shakes and you will probably need to go RUNNING to the bathroom. That bad. always take your multivitamins ...I personally take two a day. and remember to drink lots of water....for whatever reason your body needs more water after this operation.....and it too helps you lose more weight.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #9
(female)

babynoah20 HB User

CAROLW---
OH I HOPE YOU STILL CHECK THIS BOARD!

Hi, I had the gastric bypass 4 yrs ago. NOBODY I mean NOBODY can understand life of a gastric survivor. YES, we choose this surgery but it is not easy. You have to learn to re-eat, chew, breath, and think. I am not kidding. I have lost 150 pounds and that feels great. I was 25yrs at 300 and now 29yrs at 150. It feels so good to be stared at for different reasons, however, its so sad when you eat your 8 year old knows the look on your face when you have swallowed wrong and runs for the garbage pail. AND THE PAIN....I wish I could talk to your friend. She is right, they are not sure why.

I got pregnant (Big NONO) 8 months after my surgery and it started ok but by the 3rd month with my new small body the pain started. 6 months of crying myself to sleep in the fetile position, up to 5-6 baths a day, tums, everything I could to get through it. The Doc scoped me, poked and proded and nothing. THANK GOD, I was blessed with a healthy baby boy. NOTE (at the 7th month the doc put me on paxil because I called him every night crying) WELL IT HELPED! It is not 100% fix but its proven that anti-depressants are associated with intestedal problems and so it eliminated MOST of my episods. I have about 1 REALLY BAD one every 2-4 months which is not too bad. I would like to have one more child but am scared to death about the pain starting back up.

PLEASE....if your friend is still having this problem ask her to talk to her doc about an anti-D. I also think it helped relax my intestines. BELIEVE ME, this is huge for one living like this. Also tell her I wish I could give her a hug and to stay stong. When the pain comes on just walk, walk, walk. LOVE STACY

Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
(male)

stocker1 HB User
Gastric bypass surgery and distal leaks

hello,
Anybody tinking about this surgery should be aware of a serious problem. There is a chance for a leak at the bottom of the connection
and there is no test for this leak and the surgeons dont look for itpost surgery. My daughter in law died from this problem as the surgeons did not look for the leak until right before she died.!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2007, 02:50 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

gas pain is becasue the stomach is streaching with air, some people have gas but no pain becasue their body is healthy and the strech don't hurt. I would see a different doc if I was her.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:55 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

baby nova, that is sooo good, but I don't understand how an anti depressent can stop gas in the stomach. or it don't stop the gas, just the pain? does it turn off a switch in my brain that tells you you are in pain. I don't understand.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #13
(male)

NJGastric HB User

I had gastric bypass surgery in Aug. 2005. In the late summer of 2006 I began to experience severe gas and bloating. It was very embarrassing. I would leak gas at work and on the train and try as I may I could not control the gas. It was very strange. I did not fart. It was as if the gas just leak out of me. I did take OTC gas relief medication, which did offer some help, but not much. In the December of 2006 I began to take digestive enzymes to help me break down the foods in my digestive track and to take acidophilus to help build up the helpful probotic bacteria needed in our intestine which may be disrupted with the surgery and re-routing of the intestine. Doing these two things has given me an about face in the amount of gas I now experience. Although I do still experience some gas, I would say that I have about 90% less trouble than before and now I'm able to control the gas instead of it just leaking out of my body. I hope this helps.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #14
(female)

luminagirl HB User
Cool Re: Gastric bypass and gas

in reference to gas problems after gastric bypass. i have had a gastric bypas and have this same problem. many if not all the people i know that have had this surgery have this problem. this side affect was mentoned to me in my preoperative info. however, i like so many people are so focused on the possibility of real weight loss and side affects seem a small price to pay. after surgery it really hits home as to what a real problem this is. painful , EMBARRASSING!!!!!!!!!! and uncontrollable. i am not kidding it just comes out and you can't stop it. it is caused by the breakdown (possibly fermentation) of undigested food in the gi tract. when you have bipass surgery there is a part of the intestine that is also bypassed, not just part of the stomach. (i am speaking in gerneral here.) this causes undigested food to continue on through you digestive tract and it produces gases. i dont know if its bacteria enzymes or what. but any way the result is gas. OK THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART....TAKE BEANO BEFORE OR WITH THE 1ST BITE OF YOU MEAL. it contains the neccessary enzyme to breakdown this gas. i mean every meal. my physician told me this and it seem to help. also i think in a previous post some said they take enzymes and acidophyllis. sounds like it couldn't hurt. also eating a high fiber diet which bulks up your stool and helps promote healthy bowel movements may help. i mean get that stuff out of the gi tract and it has less time to ferment. excercise helps move things along. plus if you are out side excercising...walking running etc. (hopefully alone) passing gas is a good thing. lol i mean you might as well laugh about it. it is a problem . especially during those intimate times. who whats to get cozy with a gas passer. i think most people dont undrstand the degree of this problem. everyone passes gas but after bypass surgery alot of people it is continuous thoughout the day and night and uncontrollable sometimes. remember BEANO, BEANO, BEANO. I know its a pain to take another pill with so many other supplements. but such is life. hope this helps. [removed] i haven't tried the generic version so cant speak about how effective it is. just wanted to let you know its out there. one last thing i encourage everyone to join a support group if you have had weight loss surgery. the best advice will come from the people going through the same thing together. best of luck to all!

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-21-2007 at 07:52 AM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find commercial websites.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:14 PM   #15
(female)

cherrudy11805 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmodiumovale View Post
Do they warn you about this problem before you have the surgery? They really should let people know what to expect
I had my surgery 20 years ago and yes, they tell you of the side effects BUT when you are fat and have been called names your entire life, you don't care. I now have so many health problems and most are blamed on my bypass, I love being thin and having people look at me like I'm now intelligent (because fat people are suppose to be stupid) but I now weigh 80 pounds and am probably dying. I understand everyone out there who wants this surgery but PLEASE think about what can happen with SEVERE vitamin deficiencies. I still vomit every day, tried to have my staple lin stretched, unsuccessfully.

Closed Thread