It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
(female)

saraa56 HB User
Obese teen need support and encouragement..depressed

Hello everyone im new to this forum, my name is Sara and i am 17 and weigh 250 lbs. i am very unhappy with my life and i feel like i dont belong here. I also have cancer and i have to take a type of steroid which makes me gain weight and makes me feel very hungry. it doesnt help already being obese and unhappy and having to take a pill that makes u even more over weight. Ive tried many diets and i just dont think theres hope its like i cant say no to food or im addicted. I dont like myself or how i look. Im very anti-social because im scared people wont like me because its such a cruel world out there ive been overweight ever since grade 3 and ive been constantly teased and made fun of. Its almost time to go back to school and im terrified because im never happy i have little friends because of my weight and i dont fit in all the desks or atleast last year i just fit and ive gained more weight. Not only that since im so overweight and out of shape its hard walking up the stairs because i feel like im going to pass out because im so out of breath i have to go to the bathrooms where no one can see me and try to get my breath back before i go into class. i always want to find excuses not to go to school, not because i hate it but i hate me and im too scared i wont even fit into the desk. today is a new starting day for me AGAIN and i decided to try and watch my calories but its sooo hard as im sure all of you know. i just need people to talk that know what im going through and i need support and encouragement. Im going into grade 12 and as of right now im planning on not going to my prom because i know i wont be able to find a dress and i wont have fun becausee im too embarassed by myself. it was hard enough finding a dress to fit me in gr 8. i want to enjoy my life well i can and i want to lose weight and be able to wear a pretty dress at my prom. im a size 20 and even some of those pants dont fit me. I cant go shopping with my friends because no clothes fit me. Im sorry this is very long i will stop but im just hoping theres someone out there that is going through something similiar because i know theres many obese people out there and they know its hard because people are constantly judging us for the way we look instead of who we are and i just need someone to talk to. Its hard when i cant look in mirrors and i think of sucide, i dont care if i live or die and i want to change that i want to be healthy and have a happier future to make up for my miserable childhood. so any advice or comfort would be appreciated . thank you.
-Sara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 06:09 AM   #2
(female)

MerelyMe HB User
Re: Obese teen need support and encouragement..depressed

Hi Sara...

I hope that maybe today, you're feeling a little better?

It's hard, wanting so much to be like everyone else...but you need to stop and take a deep breath and understand, YOU are SARA...your one of a kind, and THAT is a GOOD thing...

My oldest Daughter is 18 now and also very over weight, as am I, when she was 15, she was kicked out of her High School, not for her weight, but for having BLUE hair....she is an awesome kid, she gets good grades, she doesn't do drugs or run the streets...her only offense, is she DARED TO BE DIFFERENT, she chose NOT to be like everyone else, and NOT to be remembered as the "Fat red headed girl", she chose to dye her hair blue, to actually draw attention to herself, so perhaps people would see HER, and want to know HER, not just slap a label on her forehead and ignore her...

Know what???/...it WORKED...yes she got kicked out of school, they were a bit too closed minded to see her point, we live in a VERY small town, but she found a school that was concerned about her education, NOT the way she looked and this December, she will graduating along with her 16 year old sister as duel valedictorians with honors...

[ REMOVED ]

Hang in there sweetie...in the mean time, try some easy exercise, if you have a pool walk in the shallow end, if not take short walks at night and drink LOTS of water...just drinking water, will help with weight loss...

Don't give up hope, I'm here if you need to talk...

MerelyMe

Last edited by moderator2; 08-10-2006 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting rules section titled "How to share information".

Old 08-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
(female)

saraa56 HB User

Thank you for the reply. I am trying and its not easy but im determined this time to do it and keep it off. I have a membership to a gym and i go when i can but its hard because im not suppose to go because the cancer makes me really weak and i can break a bone easy and with all the germs but i just went yesterday so im proud of myself im going to try and go atleaest twice a week. I have a pool but i cant go in it which really suckss but i trry to take the longer way to places when i walk. Ive also been drinking lots of water. I have a question though im not sure if you know or not but ive been cutting back on calories hoping that will help me loose weight. i dont know how many im suppose to have but ive been trying not to go over 1800 calories. I read this website and it said you wont lose weight by cutting calories or carbs or fat. It said you will lose a few pounds for the first few days and then you will hit a plateau. So i dont know what to do because although i am trying to eat smaller portions and just cut out small things that will help i want to actually lose weight and i know its not good to lose weight too fast but i want to be able to buy clothes for back to school and look good. That is sad that they did that to your daughter, people make me so mad that our world has to be like this and judge people and think people have to be the same or look like thin models. I know i shouldnt let it bother me but everytime im out in public or i see pretty girls it makes me sad because i want to be pretty. It bugs me how many people tell me i would be so pretty if i lost weight or im such a pretty person but..Ive never judged people and said oh there nice but there overweight and i hate when people do it to me or they dont even get to know me. Some guy that i use to like a lot told me he would go out with me if i lost weight that he liked me and thought i was pretty it crushed me so much. I think my self estem just gets cut down soo much that i dont even like myself anymore. But thank you for the website and the reply its really helps every little complement boosts your spirit a bit. Thanks and i will keep in touch and let you know how things go hopefully i can do this because i want to be healthier too.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
(female)

MerelyMe HB User

Just remember, there is no such thing as a DIET....you weren't on a diet when you gained the weight, so why would you go on one to lose it?...your bad eating habits got you where you are, so now you have to change them to good eating habits..

Some tricks...

Use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate...this way less food makes the plate look real full and tricks you into thinking your having enough food...sounds stupid but it works...
Drink water...TONS of water
you want to eat at least 6 times a day....not tons of food but enough to keep you from getting hungry, eating small amounts frequently keeps you from getting so hungry and it also raises your metabolism which allows you to burn fat faster...
Most people think starving yourself is the way to go...but the less you eat the quicker your body goes into starvation mode, it thinks your starving it and will actually begin to STORE every calorie you put into it, which just causes you to get bigger...

Remember you can eat ANYTHING you want to eat...you just can't eat EVERYTHING...for every 10 pounds I lose, I treat myself to something I want...like ice cream or a kids cheeseburger, that way I'm not denying myself things I like and I have a goal to work towards...

This CAN be done...it took you 17 years to gain all the weight, it's not going to fall off tomorrow...keep working at it slow and steady....

MerelyMe

Old 08-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
(female)

pandaeyes HB User
Thumbs up Re: Obese teen need support and encouragement..depressed

hi i'm 23 and from the uk i'm so over weight that if i wanted to no my weight i would have to stand on to sets of scales and at them up. i'm not trying to be funny its true i had to stop going to college cause i couldn't sit in the class room with all those skinny girls thinking there better than me. i agree with the exercise and the water it all helps but its when you get suger or chocolate cravings its hard the best thing to do is get the really small chocolate bars the ones in the fun bags (if they do them there lol) and stick them in the freezer. you take so long to eat it that you don't eat as many and you stop the cravings. it won't help if you eant to lose loads of weight but u won't feel really guilty and it does help with picking. i usually cut up loads of carrots keep them in the fridge and when i go to pick i just munch on them it sounds silly but just by silly things i've lose a stone in a year and been able to get surgery i have a appointment to go on the waiting list soon. i hope you are feeling better and do go to your prom i went in trousers and had a great time but then its not as formal here.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
(female)

MerelyMe HB User

you definitely hit on something very important...most overweight people aren't going to stand in the kitchen and prepare a 5 course meal every time they are hungry or want to snack, they want something they can just grab and run with....this is why junk food and fast food are billion dollar industries....so we have to create our own snacks silly tricks to trick ourselves, which sounds stupid because we know what were doing all along, but for some reason it seems to work...

I have taken just about everything in my kitchen NOT designated for a full course meal and transferred it into small zip lock sandwich bags...this way, when I want something, I'm grabbing a bag, which tells my poor brain that it's a snack and I'm actually eating a PORTION instead of the whole package etc...

sounds rather stupid but it seems to work for us...

MerelyMe

Old 08-24-2006, 08:22 AM   #7
(female)

Joeyliterati HB User

Hi Sara,

First of all, stay strong, remember you have a great personality and let it shine through. There are some skinny girls out there who cant hold a conversation or have no sense of humour, and you gotta think - its really important that people can enjoy talking with someone too!

I'm overweight myself and have been bullied at school, especially when I was around your age and I know it can be SO depressing! But just remember, they can have a go, but at the end of the day, you can lose the weight, while they can't change their seriously bad personalities

I've found snacking on lots of fruit - especially the type that comes in cans, with juice, not syrup is great for holding down hunger, its also really sweet so it knocks down sugary cravings too. Drinking loads of water helps too - it fills up your stomach, especially really cold water. It does wonders for your skin too! Remember, you can eat as much as you like of things that are good for you like fruit and veg, imagine yourself in the future with the figure you want and think about that every time you want something unhealthy, and think "what do I want more?"

All the best

Jx

Closed Thread