It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 06:39 AM   #1
(female)

ToLiveAgian4387 HB User
Arrow I need Help before i Die!

Hello everyone im 19 years old and i weigh 400 lbs ive struggled with my weight since i was 7 years old. There are so many things i want to do in life but i cant because my weight is holding me back like i want to go to college, i want to get a job and most of all i want to be a mother. I feel tired all the time and when i walk some were i get out of breath. i was down to 300 lbs last year but i put it back on quick. My life has been an emotional rollercoaster ever since i was sexually harrased as a child. I have a wonderful boyfriend of 5 years hes been with me all the way. The doctors are saying about a surgery but im scared becuase some people die with that surgery and i dont want to die i mean i want to live thats why im looking for help.

The following user gives a hug of support to ToLiveAgian4387:
Debbiejn (01-03-2012)
Old 11-28-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
(female)

Liz16 HB User
Re: I need Help before i Die!

I am also very much overweight myself and my friend is more in your weight. Nothing seems to help unless we make drastic changes. Let's face it, if we do the same things we have always done, we will get the same results! Does your boyfriend eat the same foods you do or you him? Do you get any exercise? A little bit at a time. I don't think dieting is anyone's answer to weight loss. It has to be a change forever in how we eat. I certainly would be afraid of any surgery. The 'band' seems to be the lesser of two evils but at your age you certainly need a solution. Have you ever talked to a therapist? It would do a world of good and your insurance may pay for it. I wish you luck and a good solution!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2006, 08:15 AM   #3
(female)

YorkieLuvr HB User

You sound like a very strong person and I want you to know you can make changes to improve your life. I can suggest highly to take some time to educate yourself on your options. So many times we jump without looking and if you know more about your body, your needs, what motivates you, what your particuliar health concerns are, how to make healthy food choices -you will have half your battle won. All my time this past year has been spent at the bookstore just researching and trying to re-educate myself. It is so important.

It sounds like you have a strong support system in your boyfriend, which is fantastic. I have lost a tremendous amount of weight this year and I could not have done it with the support of friends and family.

Best of luck!

Old 12-07-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

fairy-lights HB User

Please, don't be down on yourself, I put on a lot of weight through being ill from the medication I was on. I had trouble walking I got out of breath easily, I started taking my dog for a walk, a little bit to start off with and then increasing it, I found after a while I could walk quite far, plus I lost a bit of weight. If you are worried it helps to discuss your concerns keep up the good work, you've taken a big step!!

Old 12-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

Quote:
I don't think dieting is anyone's answer to weight loss. It has to be a change forever in how we eat.
that is true, but it is hard to make that change. a few things us "over weight" people do is, eat large sizes of meals we streach our stomachs, then we always keep it full. we come home from a long day and sit on the sofa, then as we sit there we need something it do.. our mind and body need some kind of stinulation, so we thing " I need food" when that is not what we really need. lol it may be " I need attention" "I need to do something fun" but if we don't have anything to do, well eating is fun.

our stomach is actually the size of our fist, and that is all you should really be eating..

Old 12-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

I can see from your weight, you are eating way too many carbs. To me, it is as simple as that. Cut the carb consumption to 60 or below and you'll lose weight.

Last edited by KittyLove; 12-08-2006 at 05:49 PM.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

boicrazy3188 HB User

First of all, it's really good that you want to make this change. Now there are a lot of things you can do before EVER thinking about surgery.

First-Have you tried eating better? It doesn't necessarily have to be about cutting a specific thing OUT of your diet. Actually it can be very detrimental to your weight loss. Diet is the most important thing because you NEED to eat. You need food to LIVE. For a woman as young as you are and how much you weigh, you really should start out eating 1500 calories to lose weight. going under that would just put your body into starvation mode. This would be the ideal method. You learn so much this way, and are more likely to keep it off.

Second-Now, maybe if you've been this overweight for 7 years, maybe there is something else wrong with you. Have you tried going to a doctor? You may have a hyperthyroid which makes it hard for you to lose weight.

A last resort (next to surgery) is rx pills. I have been overweight for 9 years and tried everything to lose weight. I ate right, exercised, and didn't lose. I've been on tons of different plans including Weight Watchers (three times!) and have tried OTC diet pills. Finally I went to a Doctor and he prescribed me Phentermine. Basically it is the safest of the rx diet pills (but definitely not safe-every rx pill has its side effects) and what it does is send signals to your brain that you are not hungry, and are fuller faster. I have lost 25lbs in two months and I am very happy. I eat right, exercise almost everyday and work hard. The phentermine only assists me.

I've never even thought about surgery. For those who have tried everything above, this is what they have to do. I feel like I would be a coward for doing this, because I know that I can lose weight by watching what I eat. To me, its like an easy out for myself. For others, it's the only way out because everything else has failed for them. Everyone is different, but I think you have to start from the beginning to reach your goals.
The best thing to do would be to go to your doctor and see what he/she can do for you. They are there for you, and will do everything to help you.
Don't feel desperate, because you have so many choices! I hope everything works out for you. Good luck.

Last edited by boicrazy3188; 01-03-2007 at 11:52 AM.

Closed Thread