It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 02:33 AM   #1
(female)

Cortney16 HB User
Exclamation i reallly need help

ok my name is Cortney im a teenager i know im obese i weigh 230 lbs.. i know am but i dont do anything because i cant.. ok i have depression and that makes me eat more, stress from school so when i come home i eat, my parents yelling makes me depressed sometimes and that makes me eat more, i reallyy should exercise but between school and the load of homework its sooooo hard to find time... i get home around 3:30 do homework till 6 then take a shower and do my chores eat dinner and go to bed... thats my life... not much time inbetween i cant get up earlier because i already get up at 5 i used to get up at 4:30 A.M. but my grades started slipping because i was so tired...i have my mom who is thin... my dad who isnt fat... so they just buy junk food and never anything good when i ask my mom to buy like some good foods she ends up forgetting or she buys them and there gone because everyone has them i try telling them not to but it ends up they still do... my parents know im obese but they dont seem to really help me... i dont know what to do... all these things you see on tv are for older people ... i hate being this way more than anything but its like a cycle... i eat because im unhappy im unhappy because i eat .... i just want to loose weight so bad.... nothing i try works im starting to give up hope on ever loosing any... and it sucks when your young because you get treated differently at school by all ... girls, boys, teachers there alll the same... im the nicest girl you will ever meet but none can see that cuz they just look at me and hate me becuase im big ... if i had a set of guid lines to fallow i would do it like what time to do what and to eat what i would do it.... so if you could help me i would be reallllllllllyyyyyyyyy happy for anyyyy info about what i can do ... i just need someone... anyone thank you so so so much ~Cortney~

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-29-2006 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Do not discuss your age outside of the Teen Boards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
(female)

Suzken HB User
Re: i reallly need help

Courtney, I am so sorry that you are going through this at such an early age. You really do need the support of your family. Have you tried talking to your councelor at school. or maybe your doctor. There are alot of good progrms out there but you d*****atly need to be supervised by a doctor. I wish you alot of luck.
Susan

Old 11-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jozi209 HB User

hey,
i realize how difficult this must be for you, but you are reaching out so that means you are ready to think about or even embark upon a healthy lifestyle. thats a huge decision and a great one. be proud.

i think dieting is 90% food and 10% exercise. so i wouldn't worry about drastically changing your habits right away, meaning i would not worry about exercising. are there good choices you can make at home? or can you o shopping with your parents? i find that eating a little junk gets me in the mood for more so i wuit eating all of it...its hard in the beginning, but feeling no cravings for junk is an awesome power.

next i would assess what you are eating in a day because healthy eating in too large portions can keep fat on. how does your daily food intake go?

i find reading success stories in magazines and reading health magazines/articles keeps up motivation in times you are really down. maybe ctear out a favourite one and stick it somewhere you'll see it every morning? maybe give yourself a month. commit to 30 days of eating well and see how you feel. don't make any "i'm going to get super skinny" goals...make them in chunks. once you see how good choices are self-empowering you're likely to stick to your new behaviours.

can you throw out your scale? (or not go on it). focusing on a number can be so depressing.

your family may start to see changes and be supportive, or they may not. the
truth is you put what you put in your mouth because you decide to. remember that with each bit. you have the choice. if they are pressuring you, can you leave the room? can you try replceing an instinct to eat when its emotional with a walk or doing hmwrk?

good luck

Old 11-30-2006, 04:31 AM   #4

jtm HB User

I totally agree about weight loss being almost entirely diet. Last spring I gained 60 pounds. I started dieting in May and Lost all of it by the end of August.

What I did was I simply modified my diet. I also worked out but nothing aggressive; I worked out at most once a week. I got rid of all my various sodas and replaced them with diet/zero calorie drinks. While their not the greatest tasting, you get used to it. I also started eating very healthy things. I really like frozen breadless chicken patties. A little on the expensive side but they contain extremely small amounts of fat/carbs.

I would just change your diet. Excerxising would accelerate things but not by that much. The most important thing is that keep your diet up. It wont happen overnight but I think if you make a conscious effort you can see good results within a few months. Also do not allow yourself to eat as often. Dont eat so little that it becomes unhealthy but definetly eat less.

The only trouble with me is that since I gained so much weight soo quickly, I have stretch marks that will take a long time to fade.

Last edited by jtm; 11-30-2006 at 04:45 AM.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
(female)

Cortney16 HB User

i have gone to a doctor .... all she said was i need to eat better and exercise... nothing more which really sucks i thought they did more than that to help.. school councelers dont do anything about weight either

Old 12-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #6

jtm HB User

Im not suprised that the doctor said to excersise and diet. Other than getting your stomach tied there really isnt anything else they can do. Were you expecting them to give you a pill that will make you lose weight without working out and dieting? There are pills out there but you still need to diet and work out to get good results.

I think you went to the doctor expecting them to give you an anwer that involved little to no work on your part. While I wish there was something like that out there, unforunately there isnt.

Last edited by jtm; 12-03-2006 at 06:13 PM.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:51 AM   #7
(female)

philandkay2004 HB User

Hun. I Know Things Are Looking Bad Right Now,but Lets Change Or Thinking. You Have To Start With A Will To Get Better, The I Will Get Better , I Will Loose Weight, I Want Better For Myself. I Want To Feel Better. I Want My Health, Depression,iknow This Because I Suffer From It And I Too And Overwieght, But Its Our Will Deep Within Us That Has To Fight! Then You Can Loose Weight,

Old 12-07-2006, 02:56 AM   #8
(female)

Cortney16 HB User

thank you yes i knw but its hard to have will when everytime you do... i just end up getting depressed and eating again i try to make plans of what im going to do like eat this in the morning eat this for lunch, do this for exercise... i never end up doing it i dont know why...

Old 12-07-2006, 02:57 AM   #9
(female)

Cortney16 HB User

yea maybe that was what i was looking for.... well i was looking for a plan or atleast like some help... talk to my mom to help me or give me a plan to go with something like that

Old 12-07-2006, 06:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

As depressing as it may sound weight loss comes down to a lifestyle change. Healthy eating, sensible portion sizes, and exercise. You can eat as healthy as you want but just sitting on the couch while doing so isn't going to help you at all. If you're looking for a "program" to follow [removed] Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Biggest Loser, etc all have [removed] weight loss guidlines to follow. Once you accept that it's not going to easy (making a life style change is hard work) you should be ready to go. In the meantime I suggest getting counselling for your depression.

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-08-2006 at 10:16 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find commercial websites.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
(female)

Cortney16 HB User

i know its hard its even harder that im in school then come home do homework, take a shower, eat dinner, and go to bed... i dont have time to exercise.. [removed] my mom seems to not really care... i tell her i want grapes and she buys it once and other people eat them so when there gone she doesnt buy them again... or she will just ignore me and not get them i cant go shopping with her becuse she goes on her days off which are tuesday and wednesday. what your saying is helpfull for someone who is old enough with a car and able to do things i dont have the time i just wish there was some way i could do something to organize it into my tight schedual. summer i loose a little weight because i work and i walk to work and its from 6 a.m to 5 p.m and i loose a little weight but i cant now because im in school sitting in the same class for 70 min then after that i do the same thing for 5 classes a day the most movement i get is going from class to class. i have gone to a counceler for my depression the person i was talking to fell asleep on while i was talking to them ... never went again ... the pills they gave me didnt work they made me worse its just so frustrating.

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-08-2006 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Do not discuss your age outside of the Teen Boards

Old 12-08-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

Here's something that has helped me. I have been trying to lose weight since I was 16. I've tried just about everything. I'm now 38 years old and I have finally lost the weight and now have been able to easily maintain it. I have given up sugar and white flour. Thinking back on my overweight days, I was consuming a lot of bread, crackers, and pasta. The more you consume these high, empty carb foods, the hungier you get.

It's taken me about a year to adjust to low-carb eating. This isn't a "fad" diet, it's basically eliminating empty-carb foods. Start reading the carb counts of foods, and try to maintain a 60 or under total, and you WILL lose weight on this.

Start to be more concerned about your carb consumption because I bet it's very high right now. Start pre-planning your meals. The biggest change that I have made is to cook ahead of time, so I always have low-carb foods available. I make tunafish salad, egg salad, deviled eggs, chicken salad, turkey meatballs, etc. I understand you live at home, but ask for tuna, eggs, chicken, veggies, anything LOW CARB. As hard as it is for you to believe that you cannot live without certain foods, believe me you can. It has to start somewhere, and it starts here. ELIMINATE ALL sugar and that is a perfect start.

I'm just trying to make this as simple as I believe it is, because I've lived it. [removed]

Carb addiction is very real, and controllable.

Your first step in weight loss is to understand WHY you're overweight, and I believe it's excessive carbs. Forget the "low-fat" garbage and concentrate more on low carbs. I won't kid you and tell you an low carb way of life is easy, because it's actually like going against the grain. The truth is that the reason most of us are overweight is because of high-carb comsumption. The fact is that there is more money to made in high-carb products and that is why they push it and we buy it.

I'm not a great advocate, or talker, so please look into low carb eating. Losing weight isn't a great mystery, it's about eating the right foods. Trust me, there's nothing wrong with you, it's just the foods you're eating.

I remember thinking, please God tell me what I should be eating to lose weight. I prayed and prayed to be thin....from age 16 to 36 that was all I could think of...and now I have finally found the answer and that is low carb, I hope you look into it.

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-08-2006 at 10:27 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:10 AM   #13
(female)

ghostygirl HB User

I really do feel for you dear honestly, I am too overweight and in desperate need of help! The one thing you have that i don't is the benefit of living with your parents i know it may not seem that way at times but trust me it's hard on your own. I know you must of had conversations with your parents and have proberbly felt unable to put across all the frustration and helplessnes you feel, so tryand write your mum or dad whichever is the most understanding a letter put in that letter your raw feelings even if you think it will upset or anger them they need to understand that you NEED thier help i think after your letter has had time to sink in they will understand and make more of an effort to understand and help you with your problem. Don't underestamate them think of all the things you could be telling them that are far worse like mum i'm pregnant for example, it's time to talk i just hope that this has in some way helped you. Good luck sweetheart!

Old 12-20-2006, 09:34 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

viccles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyLove
Here's something that has helped me. I have been trying to lose weight since I was 16. I've tried just about everything. I'm now 38 years old and I have finally lost the weight and now have been able to easily maintain it. I have given up sugar and white flour. Thinking back on my overweight days, I was consuming a lot of bread, crackers, and pasta. The more you consume these high, empty carb foods, the hungier you get.

It's taken me about a year to adjust to low-carb eating. This isn't a "fad" diet, it's basically eliminating empty-carb foods. Start reading the carb counts of foods, and try to maintain a 60 or under total, and you WILL lose weight on this.

Start to be more concerned about your carb consumption because I bet it's very high right now. Start pre-planning your meals. The biggest change that I have made is to cook ahead of time, so I always have low-carb foods available. I make tunafish salad, egg salad, deviled eggs, chicken salad, turkey meatballs, etc. I understand you live at home, but ask for tuna, eggs, chicken, veggies, anything LOW CARB. As hard as it is for you to believe that you cannot live without certain foods, believe me you can. It has to start somewhere, and it starts here. ELIMINATE ALL sugar and that is a perfect start.

I'm just trying to make this as simple as I believe it is, because I've lived it. [removed]

Carb addiction is very real, and controllable.

Your first step in weight loss is to understand WHY you're overweight, and I believe it's excessive carbs. Forget the "low-fat" garbage and concentrate more on low carbs. I won't kid you and tell you an low carb way of life is easy, because it's actually like going against the grain. The truth is that the reason most of us are overweight is because of high-carb comsumption. The fact is that there is more money to made in high-carb products and that is why they push it and we buy it.

I'm not a great advocate, or talker, so please look into low carb eating. Losing weight isn't a great mystery, it's about eating the right foods. Trust me, there's nothing wrong with you, it's just the foods you're eating.

I remember thinking, please God tell me what I should be eating to lose weight. I prayed and prayed to be thin....from age 16 to 36 that was all I could think of...and now I have finally found the answer and that is low carb, I hope you look into it.
I can tell you now that I lost 50 pounds by not cutting out carbs rather replacing them with good quality ones. Instead of eating white bread, eat multigrain. You don't have to eliminate sugar just cut down on it.

Closed Thread