It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
(female)

rotti HB User
overweight for a reason

hi guys!!: blob_fire

Im new to this so bare with me. i have always been overweight from the age of 10 when i started puberty and my periods. Dispite always being sick and constantly in pain my doctors advice was to do more exercise. Until the age of 16 i was a professional dancer dancing at least 30 hours a week with the gym on top but was still at my smallest a size 16. I am now 22 recently married and now weigh more than i ever have at 20 stone 7 pounds. Last week i went to my doctor as i am constantly tired nausious and just generally unwell. I had more blood tests taken than ever before and we finally got something. In addition to me having pcos i tested positive for celiac disease.
I currently visit the hospital regularly for obesity, nutritionist advice and pcos. Most doctors will tell you that all celiac disease sufferers are underweight. This is a completely wrong. over 30% of all sufferers are overwieght normally around 300 pounds. Even with exercise its the gluton in a diet that cannot be digested and causes obesity. The symptoms are nausea, tiredness, diahorea or constipation, cramps etc.. I read a medical journal that said all obese people if they have the above symtoms should see your doctor and get tested as a change as simple as a gluton free diet may sought out a multitude of symtoms although they may take a little persuading as most doctors including some of mine laughed when i told them this is what i though i had. xxxxxxxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2006, 04:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: overweight for a reason

rotti,

You make a good point. Celiac is a misunderstood disease, even among doctors. It took me 6 months to find a doctor who would take me seriously when I wanted to be tested for celiac. I was told that I couldn't possibly have it because if I did, I'd be having diahrrea several times a day. Well, I didn't have diahrrea, but I was absolutely certain that my symptoms were at their worst when I ate gluten. My primary symptom was painful acid indigestion.

When presented with a substance that the body can't handle, the body has different ways of coping. For you it has been obesity. I hope that a gluten-free diet will help your body to settle down and relate to calories in a happy way instead of hanging on to everything for dear life. I am happy for you that you've found out what the problem is.

There is an interesting thread at the moment in the Diet & Nutrition Board:
"metabolic typing" [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=450471[/url]
which started out talking about a "doctor" using some questionable methods to "prescribe" a special diet for someone, and then the thread has gone on to discuss gluten and milk intolerances. You might find it interesting.

--Rheanna

Old 12-17-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
(female)

rotti HB User
Re: overweight for a reason

thanks rheanna, its good to know that we are not alone.

rotti xxx

Closed Thread