It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
(male)

hamiltonkrewe HB User
Intro

My name is Dave. I am a 44 y/o-married male
I’m scared. I went to doctor Friday and have very high blood pressure. 155/104. My mother passed away about 8 months ago of heart disease. I spoke to my father yesterday about my situation and he told me “Wow your blood pressure is even higher then your Mom’s was” well thanks for the words of comfort Dad.

I started taking B/P medication and started a simple exercise program the doctor recommended. I have a treadmill and walk for only 5 minutes 3 times a day. I will gradually increase that but afraid to work out to hard until I have the B/P under control. They just want me moving doing something each day.

I do have blood work scheduled and oddly pray they can find something wrong so I can take a pill to control my binging. Dave

Last edited by hamiltonkrewe; 01-21-2008 at 12:50 AM. Reason: typo

Old 03-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
(female)

Scorcher HB User
Re: Intro

Hi Dave,
Your post is written very well, I very much agree with you as I have followed those stages too. I am married with 3 young children, I am 34 years old. I got too the same stage as you, not knowing what to do next. I get panic attacks too but usually not too severe. My blood pressure apparently is not too bad. I suffer back pain and my joints click but I can cope with it most days. The back pain is severe if I stand still for more than 5 mins so it gets me out of washing up.
You sound very frightened as if everything is out of your control and you don't know what to do, almost resigned to waiting for stage 3. You know what? You can still take control! I weighed 386lb in february last year and was told my blood pressure was very very high. I was told it was probably a one off as it had been OK before. My GP didn't do anything about it but it scared me into doing something about it. I have 3 kids, I am not leaving them without a mother! My father died when I was just 16 yrs old, he was only 38yrs. I not going to put my kids through what I went through.
February last year I joined a gym, I cut my portion size down and I worked hard. I have lost weight and now weigh around 336lb. It isn't just my weight though, I feel so much better in myself, I feel healthier, more positive and enjoy life a lot more. I have a lot of weight to lose and know it will take time but I am determined and know I can do it.
My husband does the shopping and still bought chocolate for me, it took a little while to get through to him but I refused the chocolate and gave it the kids, now he is supportive, even checking food labels to make sure they are healthy. Even he has lost 14 pound. My kids are much happier too, I have seen a difference in them.
I know you have other problems to deal with but you can get to where you want to be. You must eat lunch, skipping will make you binge on junk food later. A banana isn't enough for breakfast either, you need something more substantial. You have made a start on the treadmill, deep down you know you can do this. You just need a little support. You have to fight so that you don't reach stage 3, you have to work out what is important to you and how much you want to live.
Come on Dave be strong and fight, work out a plan. I cut down from a dinner plate to a side plate, I always have breakfast now too and if I am hungry I have a healthy snack. Food isn't everything, it is much easier than you think to give up the junk food and drinks. When you see the differnce a few pounds weight loss make it spurs you on to keep going. The weight loss affects your family too as you have more energy so can play with the kids, you become happier and the whole family become more positive. The first step is the hardest and you have already taken that. Just make sure you follow it through and don't give up!

Very best wishes,
Scorch

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
(female)

SweetThing789 HB User

Hi Dave,
I totally understand how you feel. I, too am fighting to get healthy. I have been a yo-yo dieter all my life losing and gaining the same 50 pounds over and over. My New year's resolution again....was to lose theis weight once and for all and get healthy. I bought and read Jorge Cruise's book, The 3 Hour Diet. It has totally reformed my way of thinking about food and weight loss. I, like you would starve myself and then get so hungry, I would binge. On this plan, you learn to eat normal foods in normal...portions. The fact that you get to eat something every 3 hours keeps me going, because I write my times down and I know I'll always be eating something soon, so I can hang in ther for a little while. I'm with you on the treadmill thing also, started at 5 minutes, slowly added, now I'm up to 17 minutes of slow walking. I have lost 24 pounds so far this year and I am very pleased with that, because I did not have to starve myself to do it. This is a plan that I can live with. Hope this helps, the book is really inspiring. Good luck and hoping for a good report from you soon. Take care.
SweetThing

Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
(female)

ktt HB User

Hi Dave.

Being scared can motivate you to make a change to a healthier lifestyle. For many fat people, food especially high fat, high calorie food seems to be a way to self medicate their fear and anxiety. You eat chocolate and not only does it taste great but it also contains chemicals that affect your brain biochemically and so it enhances your mood and calms you down. I think that's why so many fat people binge on chocolate. I know I always did.

In the past I dealt with occasional panic attacks and realized that you can't have one if you practice deep breathing. If you are heaving one, exercise can help burn off the adrenaline pumping through your body. Basically a panic attack is the fight or flight syndrome useful for real emergencies but not so helpful when it's caused by your own worries and fears. You do sound like you tend to worry a lot and binge to try to ease that worry.

The best approach to deal with the situation is to creat a plan. You've started a fitness program which is great. The next step is not to starve yourself but to learn how to eat healthy. That means relearning or putting into practice things like eating more fresh food, colorful fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, healthy fats and keeping the focus on eating healthy. When you use that mindset your focus changes from what you can't eat to what you should eat. I would recommend a food log and becoming asquainted with serving sizes so you know how much calories you are currently consuming. Once you know that, you can deduct 250 calories and aim to exercise 250 calories to lose a pound a week. Exercise also has the same mood enhancing properties as chocolate and so that's a great stress buster too. In the past year I have lost 113 lbs on this program and I am sure you can do it too. Good Luck

Closed Thread