It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

Katianne HB User
Gastric Band op - advice appreciated

Hi everyone,
My friend is hoping to have the Gastric Band operation, she is going for her first consultation beginning of April and is certain she wants to go through with it. I want to find out as much information as I can to help her through the process as I am going to be with her every step of the way but we live in the U.K and neither of us know anyone who has had it done.
I therefore wanted to ask anyone that has had the operation if you have any advice at all which would help her before and after the operation or any information you feel helpful which the doctors ususally do not tell you.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
K

Old 03-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User
Re: Gastric Band op - advice appreciated

K-

There seems to be little information on the various weight loss surgeries on this board. [removed] One more modern procedure that I'm looking at is called a Mini Gastric Bypass and was developed by a Dr. Rutledge who is based in Nevada. [removed] While no surgery is guaranteed, I am hopeful since this one is done laproscopically.

wb

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-23-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find commercial websites.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 03:27 AM   #3
(female)

love my tum HB User

Hi Katianne
I too am considering Gastric Band or Gastric Balloon procedure.

I want to talk to someone to get advice on which would be best for me. Who did your friend talk to about the operation? I have looked at websites for surgery in Brussels and Amsterdam as they appear to offer good treatment at a cheaper price than you can get in the UK.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
(female)

bristdee86 HB User

Hi i had my surgery done in belgium by dr dilemans, i had a gastric bypass which was sucessfull i had it done last march and have gone from 22stones down to 11stone. The hospital was so clean and friendly and it was soooo much cheaper than the uk the best dicission i ever made. Hope i helped

Last edited by moderator2; 05-05-2007 at 08:15 AM.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
(female)

kyethra HB User

If by gastric band you mean the laproscopic adjustable gastric band or lap band, then I have that. I got mine done about two months ago. I'm shocked at how much weight I have lost so far. Over three stones already, fifty pounds now. It works really well for a lot of people. For me I was surprised because it just cut my hunger levels. Before I was always hungry-- my stomach was like the plant in little shop of horrors saying feed me all the time. Now it isn't and now I can eat so much less and lose weight. Before I wasn't able to lose weight- well not much before, on my own. I could lose maybe one stone with diet and exercise and that would take forever and be really hard to lose and impossible to keep off.
Also, with the band I know that for pregnancy its healthy and its not malabsortive so I don't have to worry about how medications are digested.
There is only one bad thing I have encoutered so far-- the initial rapid weight loss was bad for my gall bladder. (I was losing a pound a day or so at first) I got really sick and I had to have my gall bladder out. Apparently my gall bladder was full of tiny stones that didn't show up on the ultrasound. While the removal has helped that is another surgery I am recovering from and all of it is hard on my body. No one told me about the gall bladder failure potential, or anything about the gall bladder at all, and that would have been good to be aware of. I have no regrets though and would do it again instantly.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
(female)

Picks HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katianne View Post
Hi everyone,
My friend is hoping to have the Gastric Band operation, she is going for her first consultation beginning of April and is certain she wants to go through with it. I want to find out as much information as I can to help her through the process as I am going to be with her every step of the way but we live in the U.K and neither of us know anyone who has had it done.
I therefore wanted to ask anyone that has had the operation if you have any advice at all which would help her before and after the operation or any information you feel helpful which the doctors ususally do not tell you.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
K
June of 2005 I had Gastric Bypass surgery. I am 45 and weighed 300 lbs and wore a size 26/28. I have lost 150 lbs and am in a size 8. I had reconstructive surgeries this past summer. Lower body lift, breast implants (needed as I went from a size 48 DDD to a 38 LONG ha!) and I had an inner thigh lift and my arms done. What a transformation! I am off all of my meds. I was a severe asthmatic, had sleep apnea and reflux. I am now lifting weights, hiking, working out, playing golf etc...
I don't know about Lap band, but the best advice i would give is:
1. This is not only a physical problem, work on your mental, emotional and spiritual health while losing the fat.
2. Find healthy replacements to your eating habits. When thinking about food, take a bath, call a friend, take a walk.
3. Begin exercising as soon as the doctor lets you. I lost my weight within the first 9 months due to exercise and diet changes. (lap band takes a little longer)
4. Journal and take photos all along. It is encouraging to see the difference.
5. Expect to be VERY emotional. This is a life changing event and you will not recognize yourself, people you have known for 20 years will walk right by and not recognize you. It messes with your identity.
6. Don't focus on how far you have to go... look at how far you've come. Celebrate the little steps along the way. (Celebrate with NON food rewards)
7. Careful that you don't replace one addiction with another, ie alcohol or shopping or anything in excess.
8. Don't expect your body to look like a model. Expect excess skin. Then, decide whether or not you are willing or able to endure more surgery. Believe me, the Gastric Bypass was the easy part. Healing from the reconstructive surgery was a lot more difficult.
9. Enjoy the ride!

Closed Thread