It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
(male)

Willie375 HB User
Wink Will my work accept me if I become very fat and obese?

I am a valued contributor at work and also viewed as a leader. Lately I have become much larger (I have put on 100 pounds in the last two years) and now weigh 375. I know that I am really obese since I am 150 poinds or more over my "ideal" weight, but I like my growing size and I am happy. My size does not affect my work. I want to continue getting larger - somewhere between 500 and 600. I know you may not think this is healthy but I am healthy now and only will do it if I stay that wayl

Lately more of my fellow workers have noticed that I am quite fat and obese= as I I am sure they see me waddle by their office or have great difficulty sitting in chairs we use for meetings. The jokes of my getting stuck or breaking chairs have been made. I know they smirk and point at my wide girth and stomach. I hope they continue to accept me. I get my share of the fat comments - eating lately, storing for winter - but that is normal for us who are large and obese. I lkie to show off my size and I am sure that makes others notice. I also know that the more I gain the more I will show.

I wonder how other fat and obese people deal with this. I would appreciate comments from either fat and obese people or those who work with them. I know I am going to be this way for a long time and will be even larger and rounder soon. I would like to have them accept me as a very obese man.

The following user gives a hug of support to Willie375:
youngforever (03-12-2011)
Old 07-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
(female)

pretty2121 HB User
Re: Will my work accept me if I become very fat and obese?

well at the end of the day keep on doing what makes you happy.im overweight quite a bit and im not that happy so good for you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
(female)

ChesCat HB User

If you were my employee, I would not treat you any different or have different expectations than from thin staff members. And, you would not be given an exception for the weight.

And, in this edit, I will add that I would attempt to remind others not to poke fun at you or expect anything different from you. It might not work, though. Your co-workers could still be jerks.

Just hard to say what makes a good employee, so gotta give the benefit of the doubt. And, the treatment cuts both ways, Willie. I've personally been treated crappy by fat folks on more than one occasion. Hey, I'm not thin because 'it just happened'. I work very very hard at it.

[removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-09-2007 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Please respond in a supportive and respectful manner to other posters.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
(female)

Callista HB User

Meh. Jerks come in all sizes.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
(female)

Miccolene16 HB User

I am sorry to say this, but 500-600 pounds is never ever healthy. I don't understand why you would want to put that weight on your body. Long term effect-- you are shortening your life. I just don't get it, I am sorry I am really not trying to be condescending or mean, I just don't understand why anyone would want to do that.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:18 AM   #6
(male)

jrw1234 HB User

Sounds like you want to work yourself into the NY Brookheaven Obesity Clinic? Its sounds like your on the right track to hit 600lbs very soon. One suggestion to you here to hit your goal weight of 600lbs. I would suggest to you that you go to Mcdonalds and order about 6 Big Macs for Lunch and Dinner and hit the Pizza Buffett on the way home from work. The average male is suppose to consume about 2500 calories on a daily basis. It sounds as if your exceeding this figure by about 3X this.

Best Regards
-Jacob-

Old 08-13-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
(male)

Willie375 HB User

Thanks for the eating suggestion. Actually my caloric intake is fairly high. Lately I have found myself taking advantage of eating opportunities as often as possible which has helped me to keep gaining. I usualy don't go to MacDonalds, but when I do, I usually eat a fair amount - three or four Big Macs with two millkshakes and two to three fries. I really enjoy the pizza buffets - usually staying over an hour and thoroughly stuffing myself. I have reach 390 and still gaining so I am successful. Work situations have been interesting. Many who have seen me in the last month have noticed I have grown and am larger. Sitting in chairs with fixed arm rests is a problem - I either get stuck or have a lot of trouble getting out of the chair. To say nothing of the fact that my belly sticks out (I love it) and really shows how fat I am. We will see how this develops. Some of my colleagues are supportive - others snicker. As long as I am happy, that is important and I am. I can't wait (or maybe it is weigh) until I get to and past 400.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

I am curious as to why you are doing this? Not in a mean way, but really, sincerely curious. I am about 40 lbs overweight and I find it really annoying to have that "mom belly" in my way all the time--when I hear someone whose 200+ pounds overweight I feel that my 40 lbs pales by comparison---seriously, waht is it that is compelling you to do this to yourself?
Liz

Old 08-14-2007, 01:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I can't decide if your post is a joke or if you're serious. If you're serious, I have to ask you WHY ? WHY would you purposly TRY to gain more weight? I'm sure you've heard that obesity is linked to many health risks including, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, etc. To intentionally set a GOAL of becoming heavier just doesn't make sense. Are you craving the attention that you get when people look at you? If you're serious, I think you need some serious therapy......if you WANT to get big and fat you have some mental issues that need to be dealt with along with the physical issues I'm sure you have now and are well on your way to making worse.
Please tell me you're joking and you were bored and you had nothing else to do but post this message to get a rise out of people!

Old 08-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #10
(male)

Willie375 HB User
Smile Re: Will my work accept me if I become very fat and obese?

Several have questioned why I have been gaining weight and have a goal of being fat, obese and large. As an update, I am currently about 390 pounds and really like the way I am and will be. I don't have mental issues that cause this happiness or health issues right now. I do monitor with checkups my health. So why would I want to be my current size and larger. I have found that I enjoy being large and round. This is the way I have felt for quite a while and have finally decided I would rather be happy with what I am than be unhappy trying to be a size I don't want to be. I have found over the last few months that I have been eating even more than normal. That has helped my recent gaining. It has also led me to have to keep up my wardrobe for my new size, more so in pants but also shirts. I will remain the judge of what size I attain. I do find that people who have not seen me in quite a few years are surprised at how large I am. I also find that attitudes at work are driven by how well the individual knows me. I do face certain logistical issues like chair sizes and allowing time to walk from one location to another. I don't mind that people at work notice my size. They can tell I am happy and I remain a key contributor. How that evolves over time remains to be seen. In the meantime, I do walk and swim for exercise and I also continue to eat well and often.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
(male)

sjm1027 HB User

No one knows why you went out of control, most people here I am sure are not their ideal weight... the truth is this. Most thin people look at obese people as lazy, out of control people... Society does not like obese people... they are looked at as LAZY... I am also Obese and I am a very hard worker, I have missed 2 days in 8 years from sickness. I work at least 11 hours a day and weekends off and on just to keep up with email BUT when push comes to shove... you are not chosen to do things that show case the department because of your looks. It's all about looks my friend... It just is...
I hate it but it is what it is!

Old 08-15-2007, 05:35 AM   #12
(male)

Willie375 HB User

For those of us who are fat and obese like me, the work environment does present its challenges. Obviously we do not fit the model physical figure - we are not the thin athletic types and we do fit nicely into others' stereotypes as individuals who are obese because we are not active and eat too much. While that may be the case - to a certain extent if you are obese there is an indication that you are not as active as others and likely do eat more than others - that should not affect the way our work and performance are perceived. I find that my work is valued and so far has not affected performance rewards - either compensation or promotions. I will admit that as I have put on over 120 pounds over the last two plus years, I sense that I am not always being viewed in the same way. Colleagues have noticed how large I have become and I know make comments about my being so fat. That is their issue. I ignore the comments and keep performing well. As I head for 400 pounds and more we will have to see how this acceptance develops at work. I suspect it will be mixed at best. However, that does not change the fact that I love being my size and look forward to my continued growth.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

willie - I agree that it's better to be happy and accept yourself.....I'm all for fat acceptance etc, but in your case, you're not just accepting being fat, you are STRIVING to be fat, and that's just not right. You ask will work accept you? Have you asked yourself if society in general will accept you? I'm sure you know there is much prejudice against obesity and many people struggle with it. To work towards a goal of obesity as something to attain is not healthy......why do you think it is? It's been proven that the less calories you take in the longer you will live. Why are you so adamant about intentionally shortening your life and making your quality of life decrease?
You may say there is nothing wrong mentally, but I beg to differ. What does your doctor say about your plans to continue to get more obese?

Old 08-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #14
(male)

Willie375 HB User

I recognize that each of us has a right to our opinion and judgement. I see that Rosequartz has expressed her opinion. The choice on what size I am or will be is mine to make. I fully recognize that to remain at this size or larger I should remain healthy (size issues aside) and to date am and have done so. It is my life to live and my choice to be happy doing so and I am. How I change in the future we will see. In the meantime, I love and enjoy the way I am and how I am growing and gaining. Those of us who are fat, obese, large or whatever term one wishes to use all do so generally by conscious choice. Part of that choice is recognizing what that choice means. My choice has been to put on the weight and likely to continue to do so. I am aware of others reactions to my size. I know what work colleagues think, support or say. Thanks for the thoughts. Now I can continue learning what it is like to be a very fat and obese man who is becoming more so as time passes.

Closed Thread